10-24-09 09:41 AM
44 12
tools
    I recently bought Missing Sync for Blackberry after reading about the software on all the different forums. The software is pricey, worth $40. I thought that the software would be worth the investment if it syncs the Blackberry properly with my Mac. I have a busy work life, am quite a heavy BB user, and like to keep track of things by syncing everything with my Mac. I use iCal, Address Book, etc. I have a Blackberry Curve and I do not do any iTunes or Media type of stuff on my BB.

Bottomline: The Missing Sync did not pass the test for me. It has an excellent interface and is quite intuitive. The installation process was painless. The Mark/Space Notebook is quite handy and syncs with MemoPad on BB. However, I realized that Missing Sync actually drops some entries from Calendar after it completes a sync with Mac (I use iCal). Worse, Missing Sync does not give any error messages. So to give you the context, I spend all day in meetings, key in important appointments into my BB calendar as the day progresses, return to my office/home, sync with my Mac, and turns out that some entries from the calendar are wiped out from both BB and iCal. Yes, just dropped. If I have not noted the meetings in another way, I have no way of telling which meeting I have missed. The result is simply disastrous for me. The whole point of using a BB is to manage your daily routines. If you have to spend time managing a software that is supposed to take care of things, the software is basically worthless.

So, I have abandoned Missing Sync for Blackberry and am going back to PocketMac. If that gives me problem, I do not know what else to do to sync my BB with my Mac. Maybe, return to PC for syncing purposes.
    02-21-09 02:09 PM
    Based on all the reading I've done regarding Missing Sync & PocketMac, neither program is great. They both have severe issues that dont help Mac users a whole heck of a lot.

Many of us are just waiting, impatiently I might add, for RIM to get a desktop manager for Mac users. It is because of these software flaws that I use my PC for syncing. Heck, you cant even upgrade your OS on a Mac which is pretty damned sad!
    02-21-09 02:57 PM
    Based on all the reading I've done regarding Missing Sync & PocketMac, neither program is great. They both have severe issues that dont help Mac users a whole heck of a lot.

Many of us are just waiting, impatiently I might add, for RIM to get a desktop manager for Mac users. It is because of these software flaws that I use my PC for syncing. Heck, you cant even upgrade your OS on a Mac which is pretty damned sad!
    I have had missing sync for BB for about 4 months now and have not had any issues. The new version (2.0) works fine. You can now install files to your BB without having to run to windows. I got the upgrade to the new one for free because I just purchased it in November.

You are not able to update your phone but that does not happen too often. If you need your calendar, contacts, call log, sms log, photos and tasks synced; then the $40 price tag is well worth it. Try the demo and see if you like it.

Most people that are complaining do not have the program. They simply complain because they do not want to pay the $40 price tag.
    02-21-09 07:10 PM
    I have had missing sync for BB for about 4 months now and have not had any issues. The new version (2.0) works fine. You can now install files to your BB without having to run to windows. I got the upgrade to the new one for free because I just purchased it in November.

You are not able to update your phone but that does not happen too often. If you need your calendar, contacts, call log, sms log, photos and tasks synced; then the $40 price tag is well worth it. Try the demo and see if you like it.

Most people that are complaining do not have the program. They simply complain because they do not want to pay the $40 price tag.
    If I can spend $600 on phones, I can spend $40 for a program. I'm glad Missing Sync works so well for you- you're one of a handful in which it does. Read the threads and you'll discover many people WHO HAVE PAID FOR IT are having problems.
    02-23-09 08:54 AM
    I have read the forums and some people are just trying to decide which program is right for them. I was not passing judgement simply my opinion. My thoughts were directed to those who have not made their minds up not those (such as myself) who have already paid for the application. And yes...thank God that it works for me. A few hitched but it works fne now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 09:01 AM
    there's a reason they offer a trial...
    02-23-09 11:25 AM
    I have to agree with zfactorformac. I am an extremely heavy BB user. I need all my contacts in sync and functioning properly. I just upgraded to the 2.0 and it drops so many of my contacts, it's actually un-usable. That being said, I am going to figure it out. I am not giving up on my Bold or Missing Sync.

If anyone has found out how to get it to work, please let me know.

Jon at zhiing
    02-26-09 10:50 PM

If I can spend $600 on phones, I can spend $40 for a program. I'm glad Missing Sync works so well for you- you're one of a handful in which it does. Read the threads and you'll discover many people WHO HAVE PAID FOR IT are having problems.
    Keep in mind, that most people only post things to forums when they are having problems and are looking for answers. So if you're forming your opinion about Missing Sync by looking at these forums, you're forming a biased opinion. I have the trial version of Missing Sync, and so far, it's way better than Pocketmac. I also discovered that you can't use Media Sync if you have Pocketmac on your mac. That's why I chose Missing Sync. You get the best of both worlds.
    02-26-09 11:14 PM
    I use missing sync 1 without problems except that iTunes playlists dont transfer, just the music.
    I upgraded to version 2 and had a lot of problems with duplicates in contacts and iCal. I tried every recommendation and trick I know including erasing my contacts and iCal in my Storm. Nothing worked except for iTunes sync with excellent playlist transfer. I am back to version 1. Will try 2.x again whe I read good reports from my fellow cracberry friends.
    02-27-09 02:30 AM
    I use MissingSync, and also have had problems. iCal duplicates entries on my BB, and it takes MANY tries for the program to even start syncing.
    Since I don't rely on my calendar on my BB it doesn't bother me too much.
    It would be nice if the program worked right though!
    I'm not going to spend the money for the new version of MS though, until the bugs are worked out.
    02-27-09 01:12 PM
    After reading the the problem face by Missing Sync, I have decided not to use my BB for my daily PIM organiser, to be on the save side, I've use what is been proven to work, nowadays I carry a Nokia E51 as my voice,text and PIM organiser. The Nokia works out of the box with iSync.

02-27-09 09:46 PM
    I haven't had a problem with contacts, but missing sync did screw up my calendar. I finally figired out that uninstalling viigo fixed my problem when I couldn't mmissing sync at all
    02-28-09 02:32 AM
    Thanks for all the posts. I am a long time user of missing sync who is sorely disappointed.
    Are any of you out there who are having success with it running it on a Macbook Air with OS 10.5.6, using iCal and Address book heavily (and relying on it's accuracy for their daily bread like zfactorformac, and me) and using a Bberry 9000 Bold ?
    For me, in a word, it is a disaster. I have all the problems being mentioned and even worse they are unpredictable and constantly changing. I've tried all the discussed fixes, followed useless correspondence for weeks with tech support and finally gave up. To Mark/Space's credit, they gave me my money back without any argument. But as you all know I desperately need a reliable sync option.
    The last version of missing sync before 2.0 (I dont remember any longer what issue it was) was also giving me similar trouble. So much so that I had given up synching contacts at all, but was managing to use it for calender after having deleted all repeating events.
    So, any help out there, besides the advice to be patient and wait for RIM?
    I am sorry I am not offering any help myself.

PCB
    02-28-09 05:25 AM
    Interesting reading that so many of you are having issues with MS. I just upgraded to 2.0 and use Bluetooth Sync on both my Curve and Storm and haven't had any issues with it. It wakes up every 4 hours and syncs my phone, no issues with lost contacts or lost calendar entries.

Running on a Macbook Pro on 10.5.6.

Jim
    02-28-09 12:14 PM
    there's a reason they offer a trial...
    Don- evidently they don't anymore. I just looked at Mark/Space's site and clicking on the (tiny!) 'policies' link at the bottom of the page gave me

Return Policy
    All sales of downloaded/unlocked software products are final.

The Missing Sync product line does not offer a demo of the product. For pre-purchase questions regarding The Missing Sync product line, please join the product mailing list to discuss the product with other Missing Sync customers, read the product reviews or contact Customer Service & Support.

That just killed it for me.

If RIM doesn't either significantly improve PocketMac or develop a Mac equivalent of its Windows desktop, bye bye Blackberry. I'm too busy to coddle the thing, much as I like it.

-Eric
    02-28-09 04:04 PM
    I hate missingsync. Basically misses all important things (and yes, I paid for it)
    The solution I found was to get everything through my gmail and google calendar that can be sync with my blackberry, and at the same time with my iCal.
    All good now. No need for worthless software for me

02-28-09 11:06 PM
    That's a good workaround, and I've tried it. Problem for me is that my clients get very upset if I use "public" services like Gmail and Google Calendar. In fact it's generally prohibited in the contracts. I suspect at least some other BB business users have the same issue, so that approach-- while it works well enough-- isn't an option.

PLEASE RIM, DO something!
    03-01-09 04:44 PM
    I hate missingsync. Basically misses all important things (and yes, I paid for it)
    The solution I found was to get everything through my gmail and google calendar that can be sync with my blackberry, and at the same time with my iCal.
    All good now. No need for worthless software for me

I have used the trial of Missing Sync. At least as of Feb 16, they still had a trial. I downloaded it, installed it on my device and my Macbook enduring multiple necessary resets on both. It never worked. Their tech support gave me a number of suggestions, including resetting isync which of course screwed with my flawlessly working mobile me sync.

What I wanted was some sort of sync with my phone, the cloud and my macbook. What I have is no sync at all. I'm curious, are you syncing contacts via google? I have 2000 contacts but every time I go near google they double to at least 4000. I need some sync strategy that does not create or destroy information. I have also tried funamol/scheduleworld, google sync on my phone which I'm afraid to let run because there is no option to "replace google contacts with phone contacts" and no option to "replace google calendar with phone calendar". Such a fundamental option should be readily available don't you think?

I don't mind paying for something. $40 is not too much. I just don't want to shell out money and still not have a "just works" solution.
    03-02-09 04:03 PM
    I finally got fed up and did a full Blackberry wipe. There were just too many issues with Missing Sync. It actually solved the problem. My device and macbook pro are syncing nicely now. I am not sure I am going to use the blue tooth functionality.
    03-02-09 07:02 PM
    I have used the trial of Missing Sync. At least as of Feb 16, they still had a trial..
    r0K - Can you please post a link for the trial? For the life of me I can't find it on their website, though maybe I'm looking right at it! Whenever I try to find it I get bounced to "purchase".

Though after what you said about it messing up your MobileMe I'm hesitant to even play with a trial...

Thanks!

Eric
    03-03-09 01:03 PM
    They sent me the link in a support email so I don't think I should post it in the clear. What I suggest you do is go to support.markspace.com and open a ticket asking for a trial. They should respond with a link. After my trial ended, it took them more than a few days to finally get back to me regarding extending my trial. Let's just say they took care of me and my sync is finally working. I parted with the money for the registration fee before they got everything working for me but all the communication I had with them gave me the feeling they were going to get it working for me.

And they did.

I synced with no problems. Now I'm trying sync by bluetooth. It's very slow even though I have trimmed my address book to half the size it was when I started having problems. I think I'll turn off address book sync for wireless sync. For me, it's calendar that gets updated almost daily.

I should explain my issues so people don't assume M/S is bad based on my experience. I had a lot of duplicate records over the years. As I mentioned above, I sometimes had 5 contacts for one person. I think all this threw off my sync to everything BUT mobile me. At no point did mobile me get messed up. Google contacts got munged pretty badly. I finally got that cleaned up using a shareware sync program called syncman. After two successful syncs, my contacts grew by three entries and I think I consciously added them over the past few days while my sync capability has been offline. Whew.
    03-04-09 09:49 PM
    Thanks, r0k- I'll do that. I appreciate your feedback!

Eric
    03-05-09 11:14 AM
    Can anyone tell me why I keep getting error messages for my contacts sync that say there are duplicates, etc. It also wipes out my homescreen and resets to factory homescreen. Just bought MS 2.0 Thanks.
    03-10-09 08:13 AM
    I just downloaded and ran a couple of syncs w/MS 2 on my 8330. So far no problems. Hasn't reset anything. Yet.
    03-10-09 01:37 PM
    I just downloaded and ran a couple of syncs w/MS 2 on my 8330. So far no problems. Hasn't reset anything. Yet.
    Give it a minute.
    03-10-09 03:23 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD