Is it possible pocket mac will be upgraded with BIS 2.5 being released? I know in the past RIM has expressed interest in being more Mac friendly when it comes to desktop software.
    06-30-08 08:26 PM
    OK, maybe something is escaping me but PocketMac doesn't tie into the BIS in any fashion. What type of upgrade are you looking for as related to the BIS and your MAC use?

With that said, I'm sure RIM will be working on MAC software updates in their battle against the iPhone. A few months back there were a few high-profile job postings at RIM looking for MAC experience.
    06-30-08 08:37 PM
    BBIronMan, thanks for translating my jiberish. I guess basically I am getting at is it feasible to make Pocketmac the desktop version of Blackberry Desktops tools, or would they just release something comepletely new?
    06-30-08 08:42 PM
    BBIronMan, thanks for translating my jiberish. I guess basically I am getting at is it feasible to make Pocketmac the desktop version of Blackberry Desktops tools, or would they just release something comepletely new?
    OK, I have no insider information but here is my best guess at this time.

I believe RIM is working on better Mac OS X integration as Mac Mail itself improves its integration with Exchange/OWA. I wouldn't be surprised to see a new Desktop Manager that was more uniform across platforms.

Then again, maybe they'll just go for a VMWare Fusion partnership or approved configuration. It would be quicker to do.

But I think it's more likely for them to try to clean the integration up.
    06-30-08 09:03 PM
    PocketMac is, in no way, related to RIM. PocketMac is developed by a third-party developer and RIM recommend their app for 'syncing' you Berry with your Mac.

There is no official BlackBerry software for Mac that has been developed by RIM. And no desktop managing software (Windows or Mac) is affected by the new BIS update.

There have been rumors floating around for a while now about DM for OSX, but the more and more I think about it... it would be a pain in the a$$ for RIM.

The main reason Mac Users want DM is for backups, restores, syncing and upgrading their device OS!!

The last thing (upgrading the OS) will be a b*tch, because RIM would have to release .exe (for Windows) and .dmg (or some other file format for Mac) variants of the OSes

As time drags on, the release looks less hopeful. Maybe it will come out in conjunction with the next-gen devices... who knows!?
    07-01-08 08:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD