I have a Storm on order and am trying to decide where to sync the storm once I get it. I have a 24inch alu iMac and I use Fusion to run Windows on it so I could do either PocketMac or BDS? What would I lose out on by syncing to PocketMac? I'd prefer to use PocketMac since the majority of the time I'm on the Mac side of things, but I wouldn't be averse to using Windows.
    11-30-08 10:28 AM
    Well right now apparentlt RIM isn't supporting macs that well. I day that becaude for you to get the newest updates you need to use the desktop manager

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-08 10:55 AM
    agree, use Windows and DM. RIM and Apple (corporate) really don't play well together. LOL
    11-30-08 11:23 AM
    i used dm for ever and now i got a mac i use pocket mac.. i can t wait to have dm for mac because with pocket mac you cannot backup your phone or even worst ,,do firmware update
    12-02-08 10:18 PM
    You can use both. Use pocketmac to sync your information you want shared with your Mac, and use DM to do the other things (such as add/remove apps or update the OS). It's not limited to just one
    12-02-08 10:37 PM
    You can use both. Use pocketmac to sync your information you want shared with your Mac, and use DM to do the other things (such as add/remove apps or update the OS). It's not limited to just one
    What do you mean i can use both? dm manger for mac is pocketmac , there is no dm for mac.... i am confused
    12-03-08 05:10 PM
    From the forum boards here, PocketMac / MissingSync seem to be programs people either report great success with, or mention some annoyances with.

If being able to sync IS valuable to you, I'd probably steer you towards "give it a shot". Worst that happens, it doesn't do what you want it to, and return it.
    Maybe it'll function splendedly.

I don't use either application, as despite being a Mac-loyalist, I'm getting along fairly happily with a BlackBerry that simply swaps & shares files via USB with my Apple.
    Maybe IF RIM gets their collective butts in gear for a TRUE BB native Mac support manager, I'll get more excited...
    Till' then...

Oh, reminds me - have to post a recent discovery/work-around for you Mac faithful on getting rid of those Apple "._" resource forks, that happen when you download images/music to your BlackBerry.
    Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, yeah - give PocketMac a shot. -DC-
    12-03-08 06:19 PM
    I run Parallels on my Mac and I use it for firmware updates, backup, installing 3rd party apps if I can't OTA, but most importantly music. But I find it more efficient to sync my calendars and address book with PocketMac
    12-07-08 10:09 PM
    I just downloaded pocketmac. I was able to sync my calendar, notes and contacts but not back up my ringtones or other wallpapers I had saved on the 1 gb sd card. I installed a 4gb card and I have remember what ringtones I had and assign them to the people all over again. :-( Looks like it will be a pretty long night.
    12-08-08 07:11 PM
    Works great, unless you have the new MacBook Pro (10/2008).

I sync all my files with it. I have a Curve so use WiFi for other stuff.
    12-08-08 10:04 PM
    PocketMac user here...no problems for me. It works great.
    12-09-08 12:38 AM
    Agreed!

And he means you can use PocketMac to sync contacts, calendars, etc natively on the Mac... and then run a virtual machine with Windows and DM (Parallels or Fusion) to do the backups, restores, OS updates. etc etc
    12-09-08 12:46 AM
    PocketMac is garbage. Use DM. Hopefully RIM will finally get around to supporting Macs
    12-09-08 09:11 PM
    can u use a bluetooth or wifi to sync your data (contact, calender, note & etc) from your blackberry 9000 bold to mac book pro??
    12-22-08 06:03 AM
    Agreed!

And he means you can use PocketMac to sync contacts, calendars, etc natively on the Mac... and then run a virtual machine with Windows and DM (Parallels or Fusion) to do the backups, restores, OS updates. etc etc
    Yup...
    IT's what I'm doing... Cept I'm using Missing Sync.
    And VM Fusion for the BB updates and back ups....
    12-22-08 11:25 AM
    Agreed!

Exactly what I use. PocketMac for contacts and calendars, fusion/parallels and BB desktop manager for music, backups and os updates

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by EKK330; 12-22-08 at 01:32 PM.
    12-22-08 11:30 AM
    so my newb question is, if you can't/don't run windows on your mac (and can't run DM), how do you update your BB firmware? all OTA? any way to backup the phone without DM?
    12-22-08 01:03 PM
    so my newb question is, if you can't/don't run windows on your mac (and can't run DM), how do you update your BB firmware? all OTA? any way to backup the phone without DM?
    No way to do it without Desktop Manager
    12-22-08 01:31 PM
    i have a problem i would love to use both but pocketmac will not recognize my blackberry bold it gives me a error 1 code saying skipping but under parallels its fine but problem parallels syncs my contacts but in the worst way so i need to sync with my mac side can someone help? please?
    12-26-08 03:42 AM
    I have said this a couple of times but here goes again. RIM are reported to be working on Desktop Manager for the Mac. They said this earlier this year. So far there has been not nuch sign of it appearing and I think the reason is this.

Mac users have a couple of sync tools that seem to work well enough. What these tools cannot do is to upgrade the OS for you. Likewise they cannot install/remove products on the phone. A Mac version of DM would solve this but that is not the problem.

RIM would have to release every one of its OSs in two formats. PC and Mac installable. This would be an enormoas task for them when you consider the number of phone models and OS versions there are. I am not even thinking about beta releases here either, just carrier releases.

On top of that, there are currently no BlackBerry applications that will install via the Mac. Clearly without a working Mac DM this will never happen but then the developers would ned to issue two versions as will. This would be an enormous task especially when almost all Macs run Windows as well as OS/X.

The Mac occupies about 10% of the market but a fair proporion of this is in the vertical market space of Studio and graphics work so we are probably talking about 8% of the market. Is this worth it for people to go to the expense of fully supporting a platform wthat already has a working solution that will run on the same hardware i.e. Windows?

My opinion of the above is that whilst we may see a working MAc based DM in 2009 but we will most likely never see OSs released in Mac format.
    12-26-08 07:01 AM
    PocketMac user here...no problems for me. It works great.
    how did you get Pocketmac to work with the Storm?
    12-26-08 03:14 PM
    It works with the Storm. No issues.
    02-17-09 11:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD