View Poll Results: How do you feel about Pocket Mac?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it!!!

3 7.50%
  • It's...ok.

18 45.00%
  • It sucks!

19 47.50%
04-01-08 05:25 PM
63 123
tools
    I use pocket sync with my new MB and it syncd my contacts and calender fine. no to dos or notes though...........and thats with the address book and iCal

I just ordered office so we'll see how it works with entourage
    03-23-08 09:17 PM
    I haven't been able to get Entourage to sync properly since I've gotten my BB. I now sync with Gcal & it works MUCH better!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-08 09:58 PM
    Ponied up and got Missing Sync. Never looked back. PM was god-awful to me. Too many error messages.
    03-24-08 10:40 PM
    I just ran my first sync session with Missing Sync. Took me a couple of passes to get my preferences all coordinated, but it worked like a charm. Of course, all I am doing with it is syncing my calendar, tasks, and contacts. But it worked perfectly. To begin with--UNLIKE POCKET MAC--it actually detected my BlackBerry.

It's got a 14-day demo mode. You can use it for two weeks before it makes you pay for it. I'll pay for it, but I'm glad I get to try it for several syncs first.

No weird event duplications, no bizarre post-dated event alarms, no hanging up in mid-sync.

Pocket Mac remains, in my estimation, a piece of junk software. And I remain really angry with RIM for not including us Mac users in the Desktop Manager experience. You can really do a lot of stuff with DM that you can't do with Missing Sync, and even with Pocket Mac (even if PM were actually working, which it seems to do rarely).

Here's where you grab Missing Sync.
    03-25-08 08:25 PM
    yeah so this whole time i THOUGH PM was working, it really wasnt, I mean unless you call DELETING my user profiles in my BB (ringtones, pictures) through the Contacts syncing and also duplicating and moving around some of my appointments by one hour. Its strange...some move,,, some dont, even when I CHANGE the time in iCal and have it set to OVERWRITE device, my BB still doesnt change....very, very weird....PM is horrible and I hope RIM is making a DTM.
    03-27-08 10:12 PM
    PM is horrible and I hope RIM is making a DTM.
    You gotta tell them.

support@blackberry.net

Let's don't assume they lurk on Crackberry.com. Make some noise.

Meanwhile, Missing Sync is doing the basic sync thing for me just fine. But I want to be able to do that other DTM stuff, too.
    03-27-08 10:30 PM
    You gotta tell them.

support@blackberry.net

Let's don't assume they lurk on Crackberry.com. Make some noise.

Meanwhile, Missing Sync is doing the basic sync thing for me just fine. But I want to be able to do that other DTM stuff, too.
    Yeah, before I posted here I fired off an email to BB....

It is ridic that we have to spend $40 to sync.....
    03-27-08 10:33 PM
    It is ridic that we have to spend $40 to sync.....
    I absolutely agree.
    03-27-08 10:47 PM
    I had a rough start with it at first because it was trying to sync wirelessly rather than via firewire, but once I got that figured out it's worked great for syncing up iCal and Address Book. I'd love it if it were more flexible like a true DTM program. I haven't found an easy way to get music or photos on my Curve from my laptop... maybe one day RIM will accommodate us MAC users.
    03-28-08 02:04 AM
    I'm with ya'll on how lousy PocketMac is. From Day 1 it has been unpredictable - one day it will sync no problem, the next time I'm starting/restarting; plugging/unplugging to get it to work. Tonight I had to resort to uninstalling/reinstalling the program and doing a battery pull on my phone and restart of the computer - it still doesn't work. PocketMac and Blackberry have been promising updates/Mac programs for some time now, but nothing seems to happen, so looks like I'll have to go spend the $ for Missing Sync. Thanks for the heads up on the 14 day trial shepdave - I'll get to see how it works.

And for what it is worth, here is how I've been getting around the duplicate entries problems. I use Entourage as my master calendar. When I'm ready to sync my phone, I go to the Entourage preferences and tell it to sync the contacts/calendar with the Mac programs, choosing the option for Entourage to overwrite the Mac programs. Once I see the overwriting has happened, I uncheck the sync options in Entourage. Then, I can go ahead and sync my phone. In PocketMac, I choose the option for the Mac programs to overwrite my phone. That way, I've not had to worry about duplicates, and until today, everything has transferred from computer to the phone.
    03-30-08 01:26 AM
    shepdave - where did you get the MissingSync trial? Can't find it on their site, and in fact, they say "The Missing Sync product line does not offer a demo of the product. For pre-purchase questions regarding The Missing Sync product line, please join the product mailing list to discuss the product with other Missing Sync customers, read the product reviews or contact Customer Service & Support." I'd really like to try before I buy....
    03-30-08 01:35 AM
    I've been seeing a few bad posts about Pocket Mac, and I was just wondering how everyone that uses Pocket Mac feels about it. I'm in the process of switching from PC to Mac and I wanna know if I should hold off on tossing my PC out the window. I know about the VMWare Fusion solution, but that would defeat my purpose in buying a Mac.
    Make the switch to iMac. It's worth it. I hate Windows. RIMM will eventually come out with a similar program no doubt.
    03-30-08 10:38 PM
    goBBerry: just go ahead and download MS. There is a 14-day trial period built in. You can use it for 14 days without registering/paying.

I have to say, it works okay--but I keep having to do cleanup procedures to correct sync errors. It gives me error reports, and I think it could have to do with messes that PocketMac made. In any case, I haven't sent them my 40 bucks just yet.

Missing Sync's support pages, however, are much better than any PocketMac support I got from RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-08 05:25 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD