View Poll Results: How do you feel about Pocket Mac?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • I love it!!!

3 7.50%
  • It's...ok.

18 45.00%
  • It sucks!

19 47.50%
04-01-08 04:25 PM
63 123
tools
    OK Thanks guys. I may install DTM on my sons PC for backup purposes. Will it work with more than one BB?
    03-10-08 12:51 PM
    Luke, Yes you can use the DTM on several 's as they all have unique PIN numbers. The only issue is if you have different models, then you would need the corresponding Device Operating Software install also because the OS and the version level may be different.
    03-10-08 01:33 PM
    Great, thanks
    03-10-08 03:44 PM
    Okay, I now have come to the conclusion that, yes, PocketMac really is that bad.

I have a BB Curve and an iBook G4 with OSX 10.4.11. For the past three weeks or so, since I've had my Curve, I've been able to sync my calendar and address book with my Mac--albeit in a rather clumsy fashion. (Calendar entries are routinely, and randomly, duplicated or sometimes triplicated; and I'm constantly prompted to restore or delete events that are already both on my BB and my Mac. But it worked in general.)

However, this morning Pocket Mac did not work at all. I connected my Curve to the computer, launched Pocket Mac--and saw nothing. As soon as I removed the USB cable from my Curve, the Pocket Mac window appeared.

So I hooked the BB up to the computer again, with Pocket Mac open, and clicked "Sync". The progress bar made it about halfway across in "Syncronizing Data" and then got stuck. Sat there for 10 minutes, nothing happening.

So now I have appointments on my BB that can't make it to my Mac, and vice-versa.

After seeing my wife use her Dell to put new OS software on her Pearl last night, and install an application, I was envious. Now that I can't sync my own device, I'm angry.

Why does RIM pretend Mac people don't matter???!?
    03-11-08 07:04 AM
    When you got stuck on the "Synchronizing Data", did the BB have the graphic of the computer to the BB? Or did it have just your normal screen?

What I have found is that when I sync, and it gets stuck on "Synchronizing Data" that the BB isn't really syncing as my normal background shows. So, I go ahead, stop the sync, unplug the BB from the USB, replug it and then hit "sync" again. Usually that makes the "Connecting" graphic show up and now everything syncs.

Hope this helps!
    03-11-08 11:39 AM
    So, I go ahead, stop the sync, unplug the BB from the USB, replug it and then hit "sync" again. Usually that makes the "Connecting" graphic show up and now everything syncs.

Hope this helps!
    I'll try that. I honestly cannot recall exactly what the BB looked like when this was happening. I think I was concentrating on the Mac screen.
    03-11-08 11:47 AM
    I have also noticed that if it doesn't sync, you need to close PocketMac, reconnect the USB cable, then reopen PocketMac. I found that every time I had the app open first, then connected the BB, it would not sync.
    03-11-08 01:23 PM
    Well, I tried both methods you all just suggested. It still doesn't work.

Here is some a more detailed description of what is happening:

If the BB is connected when I launch PocketMac, then the PocketMac icon just bounces away on my dock, but no window ever appears. When I unplug my BB from the USB port, the PocketMac window appears on the desktop.

My BB has stopped asking me whether I want to use Mass Storage mode when I hook it up to my USB. If I start a sync with PocketMac, the BB screen does not show that it's connected to my Mac. And of course, the progress bar on the sync gets stuck halfway through "Synchronizing Data."

I did a complete uninstall of PocketMac and downloaded it again. I did a battery pull on my Curve. Nothing is working. The computer doesn't seem to be able to see my BlackBerry at all now.

This might not be PocketMac's fault. It might be. In any event, I now have less use of my Curve with my computer than I had 24 hours ago--I cannot even drag and drop files onto my memory card in Mass Storage Mode now.

Help?!?

[EDIT:] I checked my setttings on my Curve, and found that the option for prompting me for Mass Storage Mode when I hooked up had been turned off. So I set it back to prompt. Nevertheless, PocketMac still gets stuck on the "Synchronizing Data" phase.
    Last edited by shepdave; 03-11-08 at 07:20 PM.
    03-11-08 07:10 PM
    Hmmm....I had the "bouncing PM" icon once. I restarted my Mac and it's been working ever since....

Just a thought...have you tried restarting the Mac?
    03-11-08 07:15 PM
    My Mac's been restarted three times since this problem showed itself this morning.

I've done a complete shutdown of the Mac and a battery pull of the BB. I'm right now on hold with AT&T tech support, in the vain hope they might have an idea. I don't have high hopes, though, because I'm one of those "Macintosh people."
    03-11-08 08:56 PM
    Just throwing ideas out there... Have you tried a different USB cable?
    Weird as it sounds, I've seen other posts on CB where people had problems and it was due to a bad cable.
    03-12-08 04:13 AM
    Alas, yes, I thought of that too. I tried a different cable last night.

After re-setting my Options so that I was once again prompted as to whether I want Mass Storage mode when I hook up, I determined that the computer can see the BB just fine. If I select Mass Storage mode, my BB shows up as a USB device 100% of the time.

It's only PocketMac that doesn't see the device. And as of right now, it seems not to see the device at all.

Incidentally, I called AT&T last night to try to get somebody to help me with this. They gave me the toll-free number of RIM--which is the number for the pay-per-incident support.

Since I don't feel I should be paying MORE money to make a 4-week-old BlackBerry work properly with my computer, I hung up once I figured out where I had called.

So right now I'm forced to "sync" my device with computer by hand--i.e., enter every new calendar event twice (on the BB and the Mac).

Yes, PocketMac is that bad--and more.
    03-12-08 04:31 AM
    Oh well we tried. I'm having issues with PM also, so you're not alone. Last night I was going thru my calendar on my BB, ok, Dr.'s appointment tomorrow at 3:40. Then I looked at my iCal, ok, Dr.'s appointment tomorrow at 2:40? Huh? Did some more checking, all my ical appointments are off by 1 hour. DST? I don't think so, because last month when I synced I noticed that birthday's were starting a day early at 11:00pm. So it would show up as two days due to the fact they were all day events.
    I tried everything. Just did as you did, manual edit. Anyone see times being off?
    Last edited by Member_No.1; 03-12-08 at 05:08 AM.
    03-12-08 04:50 AM
    When I tried using iCal I remember my times being off to. Using my Entourage calendar, the times are at least accurate.
    03-12-08 11:06 AM
    I have the same date time issues as others. Also my "kernel_task" has been overloading my system. I uninstalled PM and it got better but my KT is still getting bombarded with right now over 30million messages and using 53% of my CPU time. Does PM log you on to BB or something? My KT was sening as many messages as it was recieving before I uninstalled.
    03-13-08 09:45 AM
    I can't use missing sync because I use Entourage. I'm forced to use pocket mac. Well it was working great then two days ago I notice it's not syncing everything. I've tried everything include uninstalling and reinstalling the application but it still is not syncing addresses. Can't really vouch for the calendars. I'm switching to google calendar. Now I just need to find an ota sync for the address book. I think I'm going to look at getting a PC so I can use the DTM!
    03-18-08 11:32 AM
    It really is not that bad. I barely sync my phone though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-08 09:36 PM
    Well, for me, syncing properly with my laptop is an essential basic feature of the BlackBerry. If it won't do that, it doesn't work properly.

I've gotten some email response from BlackBerry support techs this week. I'm on vacation now (baseball spring training in Florida), but when I get home I'll follow up.

And I'll report my results here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-08 07:43 AM
    Man I have been wanting a MBP for a long time and recently won a small claims court case and now having the money I was about to go to the Mac store and pick me one up....

Reading all this makes me really reluctant to get a Mac....I love my BB..........
    03-19-08 12:56 PM
    What file format do the apps have to be in to upload them onto the phone via PocketMac? I have some .jad files, but PocketMac wont let me put them on the phone
    03-19-08 01:53 PM
    Well as an update, since I am the one that started this thread, I finally bought the Mac about 2 weeks ago. Glad I waited cuz they updated the MacBook Pro right before I bought it, but anyways. I have to say...PocketMac SUCKS!!! I can't sync my tasks, I have to unplug and plug my blackberry back in to get syncing to work properly. It doesn't support bluetooth syncing. C'mon RIM...where the **** is your apple development team??? As far as moving to the Mac world, all else is great, but I must say again...PocketMac SUCKS!!!
    03-19-08 10:33 PM
    Pocket Mac stalled on my while syncing Tasks too. I just unchecked the option to sync tasks since I only had about 10 and don't use the tasks very often. Instead of using Tasks I usually add reminders in my calendar instead.
    03-19-08 10:57 PM
    Here's my latest update:

I have had several emails from support techs at RIM. It looks like the email address to use is either help@blackberry.net or support@blackberry.net.

I was advised to do a complete, clean uninstall of PocketMac, using the instructions given in this article:

How to uninstall PocketMac

I did all the things described, emptied my trash, and then got a fresh version of PocketMac from Blackberry (v. 4.0.20b). I installed that and put the alias icon on my dock. I restarted my Mac.

Then the interesting stuff happened. After restarting the Mac, I hooked up the BlackBerry to my iBook via USB. Realizing I had skipped over the prompt about whether I wanted to use Mass Storage Mode, and not knowing where I was in the sequence, I checked to make sure the BB was not mounted as a USB device, then I unplugged the BlackBerry.

Kernel panic. Mac OSX quit, and prompted me to restart my Mac. This has not happened to me in two years. I restarted the computer. When it came up again, I hooked up the BB and then launched PocketMac from the dock.

Just as before, the dock icon bounced and bounced and never went any farther. The instant I unplugged the BlackBerry from the USB connection, the PocketMac window appeared on my desktop.

So, in summary, despite completely clearing out the old version of PM and reinstalling, I am still unable to sync my device with my computer.

I am, frankly, furious with RIM for treating us Mac users like we don't exist. The support techs obviously have almost no clue how to advise me.
    03-20-08 08:56 AM
    I gave up on trusting pocket mac. I now use google calendar with great success. I'm trying plaxo for my contacts, hoping they'll have a blackberry sync soon. When they do I'll be free of pocket mac! Come on RIM. I would give up my pearl before I give up my mac!
    03-22-08 01:31 PM
    Pocket mac syncs my contacts fine.
    It's my calendar that's all screwed up. I can't even delete all my entries and start over: *SIGH*

I got an email from RIM asking me to call them with my case #. Anyone know if I'll get charged for the call?
    03-22-08 04:33 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD