I've read a number of posts but still not sure of the answer.

My wife got an iMAC (about which I know nothing, being a pure PC guy) and is considering getting a BB on a BIS account.

Up till now we have used Palm OS and Palm Desktop/Hotsync and are very happy with it. What is the latest take on syncing contact and calendar between a BB (say 9650) and a MAC? What is the best database program to use iCal or the MS app?

Is there any way to export ones contacts from the Palm Desktop to either of those programs?

Many thanks for the help.
    09-01-10 06:42 PM
    I am also having trouble trying to sync my new BB Pearl with my apple address book. I have just bought the phone and while it is fab to use, I am really disappointed by the rubbish sync issues between BB and Apple. Even my completely pants Sony Ericsson not-very-smart-phone was able to sync all my Apple address book contacts in a snap!

I have downloaded BB Desktop Manager and it seems to promise to sync my contacts, but when I try to sync it tells me that I have to "turn off wireless synchronisation" in the Address book, but when I look at the options in the Address Book (on the BB and on the mac), i see no option for this.

I have read that I can workaround this by syncing with my google account and by buying Missing Sync or Pocket Mac - but surely BB have a proper solution for MAc users if they are trying to compete with iPhone these days? Can anyone help?

Should I be buying a 3rd party solution? If so which?

Thanks
    09-02-10 02:13 AM
    A less good but possible way around. Could I reliably sync via DM (on a MAC) with my Yahoo Mail address book and calendar?

Thanks again.

B B
    09-02-10 07:14 AM
    I just started to sync my 9700 calendar to my MacBook Pro, and it's pretty simple, and works like I wanted. The two-way sync is awesome! I just connect my BB via cable, and it does the work for me.

It'd be cool if I could wirelessly sync though!
    09-02-10 12:35 PM
    Do you not use DM to do the sync? What do you use for contacts (address book)?
    Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-10 12:38 PM
    Do you not use DM to do the sync? What do you use for contacts (address book)?
    Thanks.

I use the latest BB Desktop Manager to sync my calendar. I currently don't sync my contacts with my MacBook Pro. Perhaps I'll try that out later with DM.
    09-02-10 12:41 PM
    i also use the latest Desktop Manager for Mac..
    i have a Mac OS X ( Leopard)
    and a Blackberry torch..
    and i'm using addressbook and iCal
    but the phone sync to all calendars including Gmail.

if you get the message error KB19454 or something like that.. there's a work around around it.. that is to re install the BBM.. and it saved me

you can also use programs to use windows OS on an Apple hardware..
    bootcamp and parallels to name a few
    09-02-10 01:31 PM
    Thanks to both of you that sounds promising. My concerns stemmed from all the posts re trouble syncing with a Mac.

09-02-10 01:50 PM
    if you encouter anymore problems..
    the "members" are always here to take care of You.
    (sounds like a line from a Mafia Movie)
    09-02-10 03:20 PM
    Indeed, we're all here to help! (Well, most of us..)
    09-02-10 04:00 PM
    Currently have an iPhone 3G, looking to switch to either 9700 or 9800 , but concerned about syncing issue with Mac iCal and address book. There are a lot of post, but no definitive answer.
    1) Will OS 6 allow this sync to occur ?
    2) OS 5, same as above ?
    09-02-10 04:01 PM
    I can sync my calendar with DW by not my Address Book. Tried calling Vodafone Uk support but got no where. DM still tells me to "set wireless synchronisation to no" - do they just mean to tun the WIFI off? I have done this, but this still does not fix the issue, DM will simply not sync my contacts from my address book on the Mac
    09-02-10 04:31 PM
    Excuse my ignorance, but what the h*ll is DW ??
    09-02-10 05:11 PM
    Currently have an iPhone 3G, looking to switch to either 9700 or 9800 , but concerned about syncing issue with Mac iCal and address book. There are a lot of post, but no definitive answer.
    1) Will OS 6 allow this sync to occur ?
    2) OS 5, same as above ?
    there's no problem with syncing either devices..
    OS 5 sync without any hiccups..
    OS 6 had the error kb 19454 for the addressbook which can be easily addressed by reinstalling the BBM from the Blackberry website..
    don't be afraid fellow Mac users...
    Mac and BB don't explode when they come near each other..
    09-02-10 07:03 PM
    Excuse my ignorance, but what the h*ll is DW ??
    Sorry "DW" was a typo! Meant "DM" for Desktop Manager.

My contacts now seem to be synced up. I set up my Apple Address Book to sync with Google (in Address Book>Preferences>Accounts) and the BB seems to have synced contacts on to my phone through my Gmail address. But, there are a lot of duplicate entires. Would be nice to get rid of these, but I can live with them.

To get sync working with DM, I have found that the Wireless Sync that needs to be turned "off" is accessible by clicking on my Gmail address in the Contacts Options page. Not very clearly explained in the DM user interface IMHO. Turning wireless sync off then allows you to sync directly with Address Book through DM. I have not tried this yet, but I would back up contacts on the MAc before doing so.
    09-03-10 02:19 AM
    I have the Storm2 and a Macbook Pro running OS X 10.6.4. Syncing between the two using DM worked fine for about two months. Then DM started randomly duplicating contacts on my Storm. It also didn't change on the Mac some of the ones that I had edited on the Storm. Since I don't use the Mac address book, it hasn't been a major problem.

Today I deleted the address book on my Mac, thinking to start fresh and see what happened. The sync process completed nicely, and out of 292 contacts on my BB, 12 transferred to the Mac. I have no idea what's going on with this thing.
    09-04-10 02:43 PM
    That does not soiund so good.

So far I have been able to export all her Palm address book and calendar to the Mac addressbook and calendar. I was also able to bring in all her Yahoo contacts and then remove dups retaining all info. Apple tells me that their mail client will keep their address booked two-way synced with her Yahoo book from now on (and I just tried it and that is true!!).

I have not yet tested DM to see when both will sync over to one of my old berries.

Thanks again.

Last edited by BlazorBoy; 09-04-10 at 03:09 PM.
    09-04-10 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD