will i need to put parallels on my macbook? i don't want to have to use windows if possible and am really concerned with having compatibility problems. i'd appreciate any help or advice.

thanks you.
    08-22-07 09:53 AM
    You do not need Parallels or any other VM solution, you can sync and run just fine without a PC. However; if you can backup (not sync) to a PC at all while you are using the BB, you will do yourself a great favor. The backup is a feature missing from PocketMac (the program that allows the BB to communicate and sync with OS X), and while you can sync data, if anything were to happen to your BB or if you have to switch handsets, its a pain to put data back, and its only data, not programs you've installed, settings, custom ring tones, etc.

Long story short, yes you can do it, but a PC is quite helpful with it from time to time if you can.
    08-22-07 10:09 AM
    You do not need Parallels or any other VM solution, you can sync and run just fine without a PC. However; if you can backup (not sync) to a PC at all while you are using the BB, you will do yourself a great favor. The backup is a feature missing from PocketMac (the program that allows the BB to communicate and sync with OS X), and while you can sync data, if anything were to happen to your BB or if you have to switch handsets, its a pain to put data back, and its only data, not programs you've installed, settings, custom ring tones, etc.

Long story short, yes you can do it, but a PC is quite helpful with it from time to time if you can.
    Thank you for the advice. Just wondering...if i want to avoid using Parallels and just sync my BB with PocketMac will it still Sync OK?? i guess I'm kind of confused. I do have a PC in the household but NONE of my stuff is on that computer and I don't want to have to sync the BB to both my Mac and the PC... If anyone has any other advice I'd love to hear it.

Thank you and have a great day.
    08-22-07 07:04 PM
    I'm using my new 8830 with my older G4 Powerbook (and Tiger) with PocketMac syncing to my address book and my calendar. Works fine for me.

Give it a try first before you go to all the trouble.

The really impressive part is how well the bb works as bluetooth modem for the laptop. I used to have to do all sorts of voodoo to get my Treo to work successfully as a modem with my laptop - the bb just connected right way and holds the connection like a champ.
    08-22-07 08:19 PM
    Oh hi,

I have both Parallels and Fusion, highly reccomend Fusion. I just recently posted about updating the BB 8830 OS...may want to read that.

Anyway, a question to the responders, how do you load the .exe apps using a Mac OS only solution?

I think would disagree with previous posters, it is extremely useful to have windows functionality. For routine sysncing I use the Mac OS. But I also have SplashId, a security password keeper program. It has a desktop app for windows which is very handy for entering data, and only syncs with the app on the 8830 via the windows BB desktop app.

-Glen
    08-24-07 09:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD