Hello everyone. I just got my first blackberry from t-mobile and have been trying for three days to tether it as a modem with no luck. I was on the phone with a t-mo rep for an hour and he couldn't help me. I think since he didn't have updated info for leopard.

Here is what I have done.
    - I downloaded the updated leopard script from (the fibble site that i apparently can't post a link to)
    - I set up the bluetooth device selecting research in motion for vendor and blackberry 8100 for model.
    - I left user name and password blank and put "wap.voicestream.com" for phone number.
    - After that was finished I went to the network page, entered wap.voicestream.com in the phone number field and guest / guest for user name and password.

Now the first time i tried to connect, it actually did, or at least it said it did. I was shown as connected and had perceived data flow however web pages would not open. When i went to a webpage in safari it did not give me the "not connected to the internet" message, however the progress bar wouldn't move, ichat wouldn't sign on, etc.

I disconnected and tried again but it wouldn't connect. After several unsuccessful attempts I erased all the settings, restarted the compy and tried again. Same thing happened. I connected but couldn't access anything. Subsequent connections were unsuccessful. It would just say connecting for a long time, then disconnecting, then i would get the error message "Could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again"

Please someone help me with this. Oh and by the way. It was a clean install of leopard, not an upgrade. Thank you in advance.
    01-20-08 11:20 AM
    Bump. Three forums now and no answer. can ANYONE help me?!?!
    01-20-08 08:20 PM
    I was able to teather my Verizon 8830 with my macbook.
    This is the link that I used, i'm not sure but it may provide you with some help.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/mac-...ry-8830-a.html
    01-20-08 10:16 PM
    thanks for the reply. i'm afraid that that method is pre-leopard. thats the problem im runniing into searching forums
    01-20-08 11:01 PM
    If you can get the BB to successfully teather to the Mac then I would say that this sounds like an issue with the provider.
    01-21-08 05:32 PM
    i've read on other sites about tethering the 8100, and it seems to be a problem with the bb model. seems as though you have to remove the battery after each attempt, otherwise you will not be able to connect to the internet. i've only gotten web pages to load a few times, and only at the beginning of a session.
    02-25-08 04:20 PM
    forums.crackberry.com/f61/how-tether-mac-vzacess-manager-7373/

guy in above thread had exact directions to use via bluetooth...i tried works perfect....seems the only way to get it to work.. try it...
    02-25-08 04:24 PM
    What is the advantage to tether? Can someone please explain? Thanks
    02-25-08 04:30 PM
    usually (from what i hear) it's alot faster... i tried via blue tooth.. speed was around 200K or so (vs. a 56K modem)

heard tether is much fast
    02-25-08 04:34 PM
    Teathering your BB to your computer, most people teather it to a laptop, enables you to use the BB as a modem. If you are away from home and do not have access to a Wifi hotspot you can use the BB to access the Internet.
    02-25-08 09:21 PM
    I am having the same problem.
    I have tried everything.
    I would also appreciate help with this matter.

Also, I have been told by Blackberry tech support that the leopard does not support tethering by cable. You have to use the bluetooth.
    12-16-08 06:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD