I just acquired a Blackberry Curve and have been looking at some of the 3rd party apps like Ascendo's DataVault. As far as I can tell, the application's Desktop version is Windows PC and it doesn't support Mac OS X. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have run Windows XP. I'd think I'd prefer to run a virtual machine like Parallels but before I go out an buy it, I'd like to know if I will be able to upload apps and sync.

I previously had a Treo and a PowerPC Mac that ran VirtualPC and never could get the Treo to sync. So am looking for some assurance that my Curve will sync using Paralles.
    08-02-07 02:15 AM
    I have tried to sync my pearl using xp on parallels and have been unable to get the BB software to recognize the USB connection to my phone. Has anyone had luck on parallels with this? Is there a possibilty of wireless sync, either over the air, or via bluetooth?
    08-02-07 12:41 PM
    Which version of Parallels are you using? I've never tried it, but I notice that version 3.0 is supposed to support USB.
    08-04-07 02:48 PM
    I have been able to sync, and tether the BB via windows. I have a BB 8830 and I use a MACBOOK.
    08-08-07 01:41 PM
    Since my original post, I did finally decide to purchase Parallels 3.0 and am running it with Windows XP which I downloaded for $49. So the set up cost me $130 total. I am running it on a MacBook Pro with an Intel Duo 2 Core.

Parallels recognized my Curve as soon as it was tethered. However, the Blackberry Desktop and Device Manager proved to be more problematic. While it appeared to connect, when I clicked on any of the icons the program would freeze and I had to force quit the program. Bottom line is I spent half a day installing and uninstalling the program before I got it to work with any consistency. Tip: it worked the best when I turned off the anti-virus program. Working in Windows reminds me of how difficult it is to get things to work whereas thing work so much more simply in the Mac environment.

I use Parallels to load and sync programs that only work in Windows. For everything else--Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, etc--I use Missing Sync for Mac OS.
    08-09-07 01:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD