I have a blackberry pearl 8130 from Telus in Canada. My question is I've seen themes on different sites and they download as a zip file which you cant extract right on the pearl. Everyone says OTA installing is easy but using download manager software is simple and it works. The problem is this software is only available for PCS and I have a mac and dont want to install windows on the mac just for themes for my phone or games like pacman etc

can anyone help?
    02-11-08 06:39 PM
    If that's the case then your only option is OTA. OTA are easy also. Go to Themes4BB.com| Free BlackBerry Themes| Multimedia For Your Berry. I am using PocketMac on a MacBook Pro X10.5.1 and it syncs fine. At this time there is nothing that can install themes or OS updates that run native. I have a desktop PC that I use for that. I'm thinking about Boot Camp with Parallels and a watered down version of XP.
    02-11-08 07:05 PM
    I've been to that site but it cant install OTA on the pearl.... did I miss something?
    02-11-08 09:17 PM
    Ok, I'm new to Macs so this took me a while.
    I am running Leopard on a MacBook Pro. OS X 10.5.1.
    For syncing I'm using PocketMac 4.0.20b.
    PocketMac For BlackBerry | Call Toll Free 1-866-POCK-MAC
    This will sync my Pearl with iCal, Address Book, Stickies, Tasks.
    In address book it will even import Groups, and things I set up in Outlook 2003 before such as a phone number listed as "Other Phone". No duplicate addresses or calender entries. Birthdays, Holidays, and my appointments all showed up fine.
    I also am happy to report that I could load apps and themes from zip files.
    Seems to work good.
    Still can't update the devices OS, hopefully in the future we can.
    02-11-08 09:31 PM
    I know about syncing all the apps like ical, address book etc.

My question was about the themes but I just figured it out. The 2 themes I wanted (spiderman & captain america) didn't have an OTA link. Only Zip. One of them did have the OTA link but it doesnt work.

I just downloaded a tweety bird theme as it was the first one on the list that had an OTA link for a test and it worked..

So you can load apps and themes from zip files but you use your PC for that correct? not pocketmac which I have..
    02-11-08 09:58 PM
    No I did it with PocketMac. Worked fine.
    What Mac OS you running. Also be sure to update the latest release of PocketMac.
    02-11-08 10:11 PM
    I have 4.0.20b....

I'm running Leopard... I have pocketmac open right now...

the tabs I see are Status/Contacts/Calendar/Tasks/Notes/Bookmarks/Email/Redelivery/Connection

So what do you click on to load zip files from your mac to the blackberry?
    02-11-08 10:22 PM
    Up top in the menu bar... Under utilities... add software.
    02-11-08 10:25 PM
    ahhhhhh!!!! ok so from there I would copy the zipped files or folder? and where would I put it on the blackberry?

by the way.....thanks for your help so far
    02-11-08 11:24 PM
    Ok not in front of my Mac so bear with me...
    When I downloaded the zip file, the Mac automatically put it in my download folder, unzipped, created a folder in downloads, and dumped the zip file in the trash. Again, I'm new to mac, and I thought this was way cool! (Bye Microsoft!!) Anyway, when I clicked on add new software, I browsed to download folder, and selected the .axl file. Then PocketMac did it's thing, loaded the file on my BB, it restarted, and the theme was there!
    Again... Cool!
    Hope this helps. If not I'll look again when I get home.
    If you are a little hesitant, I'll try it again tonight with an app, maybe a game, and see what happens.

Will be nice when you can update the OS this way and see what apps you have on there like with DT Manager.
    Last edited by Member_No.1; 02-12-08 at 05:39 AM.
    02-12-08 05:36 AM
    ok thanks. I'm not home right now but I'll try it later...

thanks for all your help... any ideas for cool apps or games ?
    02-12-08 09:45 AM
    As to apps, I have BBWeather, Viigo which is a RSS feed graber/reader, Soft Update which will allow you to restart/reset your BB without pulling the battery, Opera Mini Web Browser... these are all free.
    I also have BBSmart E-mail viewer which makes reading e-mails better as in HTML format. This is a pay for app.
    Games... Disco Bowling, Christmas Pool, and BB Tetris... all free.
    02-12-08 10:17 AM
    very cool.. I'll have to source out the disco bowling..lol
    02-12-08 12:51 PM
    ok I followed what you said... and then once I hit the .axl file and selected it, I saw pocketmac work for a couple seconds and then the phone froze unless I unplug the cable from the phone to the computer. Once I do that nothing happens. No reboot and no theme.. I have tried with mass storage device on and off...

I then tried another theme and this time it worked... Im going to try a 3rd and see what happens.

edit..

well I tried a third theme and the phone freezes on the mass mode on or off screen. Ive been able to select yes and the theme doesnt install.

Im so confused...

any ideas?
    Last edited by elvtnedge; 02-12-08 at 08:21 PM.
    02-12-08 07:53 PM
    SNIP...

well I tried a third theme and the phone freezes on the mass mode on or off screen. Ive been able to select yes and the theme doesnt install.

Im so confused...

any ideas?
    It's a known issue with the Pearls. Can't use Mass Storage. When you connect, say no to that or turn the option off on the BB.

See if that helps.
    02-12-08 08:58 PM
    no luck.. it wont even see my blackberry now... very frustrating
    02-12-08 11:17 PM
    I had the same issue. try clicking the load software to device. it did nothing then the device showed up.
    Also, just be sure you connect the usb before starting the software.
    Just taking stabs trying to figure it out.
    02-12-08 11:32 PM
    I restarted the mac and then atleast I got the mass storage message so I said "no"

it asked if I wanted to install disco bowling which I said yes to and then nothing happend.

I had luck once installing a theme.. no luck since then.
    02-13-08 11:07 AM
    I've been out straight the last few nights.
    I'm gonna play more with this over the weekend to see just what it takes to add/remove apps and themes.
    I'll keep you posted.
    I really hope this works. I'm new to the Mac world, less than a week, and loving it more every time I use it, so I can't wait to give M$ the kiss of death!
    02-13-08 11:42 AM
    Wow! Nice new toys lately there Mr Pete... BB / Mac. If you have too much $$ floating around, get me a Curve when it launches!!
    02-13-08 12:00 PM
    OK so thank you so much for this thread, I really could not figure out how to put themes on my pearl via pocketmac, OTA, or even windows VMware. Thank you and I will try when I get home.
    03-17-08 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD