I have 4 email addresses and have entourage installed on my computer. I have a brand new mac book pro and it is my first mac. What is the better email client?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 07:07 PM
    I use Thunderbird.
    08-12-09 08:13 PM
    What is thunderbird? And in your opinion what is better between my two options?

08-12-09 08:24 PM
    It depends on your needs. I use Mail.app for my personal accounts (until Snow Leopard drops in September), and Outlook in a Windows virtual machine for Exchange connectivity.

That said, all three mentions so far (Mail.app, Entourage, and Thunderbird) are all good, powerful email clients.

Mail.app has the benefit of being essentially integrate into MacOS, and has many great features - common inbox, smart mailboxes, multiple account (POP, IMAP, SMTP) support, as well as RSS support.

Thunderbird replicates Mail.app in functionality, but is developed by Mozilla. When I last used it, it shared the look and feel of Firefox, but that was a couple of years ago now.

Entourage provides many of the same features, but also integrates contact, calendar, and light project management into one app. I've tried my best to use it as an Exchange client (twice, even - giving it about 6 months total), but I'm just not comfortable with it for its current underlying Exchange connectivity technology(though MacBU is working on that, hopefully due later this year).

I say try 'em both and figure out which you're most comfortable with. No email client is a one-size-fits-all solution, but all have pretty much attained feature parity these days. Figure out what works with your personal workflow if you've got the choice.

-jk
    08-12-09 09:37 PM
    Mac's native mail app would get a slight nod over the latest Thunderbird (3.0 beta 3, I think). You can actually make them look identical using a TB theme and the new shared mailboxes, but the OS integration of Mail.app makes it the winner (especially with searching of messages, where mail.app excels). There are also some neat things you can do with Apple Mail that you can't do with other clients.

I have tried to use Entourage and I hate it, but it is mostly for tasks and calendar functioning (for example, you cannot subscribe to calendars, which is absurd for 2009). It seems to handle mail decently, but I wouldn't open up an all-in-one program just to use one aspect of it. Doesn't seem to be the best use of system resources.

08-12-09 09:51 PM
    Give Mail.app a go.

Used to use Thunderbird, then gradually switched over to Mail. Now I find TB a PITA to use, after getting used to how smooth Mail is.

Never used Entourage, so can't offer an opinion there.
    08-12-09 10:33 PM
    I would only use Entourage if you are coming from a PC and want that PC feel of usability. Otherwise keep to Mail.app. Thunderbird is not bad either.
    08-17-09 08:07 PM
    I use Mail.app personally. I have the usual Microsoft products on my PC, but once I picked up my Macbook Pro (and stopped using my PC except for gaming and streaming movies to my XB360) I have been quite happy with Mail.
    08-17-09 10:34 PM
    I use Mail.app on my Mac and I'm quite happy with it.

I had ThunderBird for a while but I found with 5-7 different email addresses it would get pretty laggy. Maybe that was a unique experience.
    08-18-09 02:28 PM
    the only downside with mail.app, is actually its interface with gmail. there was an issue (not sure if it was fixed) where mail.app would try to connect multiple times with gmail... Gmail would only accommodate 5 connections and mail.app would end up throwing an error...

even with this, i still use mail.app
    08-18-09 10:10 PM
    Mail.app here.

When Outlook gets ported to Mac in the near future, I will most likely switch to Outlook.
    08-18-09 10:29 PM
    the only downside with mail.app, is actually its interface with gmail. there was an issue (not sure if it was fixed) where mail.app would try to connect multiple times with gmail... Gmail would only accommodate 5 connections and mail.app would end up throwing an error...

even with this, i still use mail.app
    I don't know if that has been fixed for gmail, but it is still a general problem with Mail.app (the only problem I have). It sends 40 connection attempts to my mail server, which screws up IDLE support and causes me to only be able to check mail once every 10 minutes when using a secure connection. There is no way to reduce this number. Hopefully SL will fix this.
    08-18-09 11:52 PM
    I also use the mail.app for all my accounts.
    08-19-09 07:37 PM
    I ditched Mail and iCal many moons ago.... Google's cloud works great for me. Combined with GSync for wireless syncing with my Tour (Contacts and Calendar) is the only way to go IMO.

You guys can stay shackled to your desktop apps.... not me.
    08-19-09 11:25 PM
    I use both. Mail for personal emails and Entourage for business. I prefer Entourage actually and wouldn't be using Mail if it wasn't for wanting to separate work from personal email.

The only thing I wish I could do was sync the data with my 8900...so anxiously waiting for DM for Mac.

Back to Entrourage...one reason I like it is that after using Outlook for so long (I'm new to mac) I like the familiarity. The other reason is the Links and Projects functions for organising email. Mail links emails, but I can't seem to get it to show me anything but blue highlights...meaning I'd have to search for related emails. With Entourage it's easy enough...just roll over the chain icon and you can see what emails are linked to it and then click on one to view. With projects I can organise calendar items, files, emails, to-do items, etc all in one location for bigger "projects" making everything easy to find (entourage puts a folder on your desktop for easy viewing, if you want it.

I don't like the way Mail attaches attachments. Unlike Entourage which places attachments in a separate bar under the subject heading, Mail just dumps it directly into the email window. Maybe I'm missing something cause when I receive attachments with Mail I see them in 2 locations - dumped in the email and oddly enough in a drop down menu under the subject....I've yet to figure out how to send it without it being in the body of the email, which is annoying cause I can't move it once it's there (I sometimes forget to press return a few times to make space). This happened in Outlook for some reason, but I was still able to move the attachment to a different spot in the email; can't do that with Mail.

In summary - if you're looking for JUST a mail app, the Mail is fine. If you need more, then I'd say use Entourage. MS is dropping it for 2010 though and providing a version of Outlook for mac (same-same but different version) but I don't know if I'll switch (likely though cause I can't figure out how to make the rules work for Entourage...it was so much easier in outlook (and yes, I know entourage is not outlook).
    08-20-09 01:53 AM
    I ditched Mail and iCal many moons ago.... Google's cloud works great for me. Combined with GSync for wireless syncing with my Tour (Contacts and Calendar) is the only way to go IMO.

You guys can stay shackled to your desktop apps.... not me.
    For me it is gmai all the way. I can get all of my email on six accounts through gmail so it works for me. I have no need for outlook at all and I have always hated the UI.
    08-20-09 01:58 AM
    i use entourage....because i use a lot of microsoft office and it goes together....the address book and tasks with calendars all sync up lovely....

entourage....highly recommended.....
    08-20-09 12:42 PM
    Prefer to use Mail.app, with a bunch of email addresses, the combined inbox is really nice. I use Thunderbird at work since I use a Windows (and sometimes Unix/Linux), and I like it, but really miss the combined inbox and a bunch if the little things that Mail.app does. I sure wish Mail.app worked on Windows though :-) As far as Outlook, I used to have to use that, but I really didn't like that interface, but that is more of a preference for me.
    08-20-09 03:30 PM
    I dropped my Mail for Entourage. Its way friendlier, to me, to use it, maybe because I come from a Microsoft world. I currently have AOL, GMAIL, and Hotmail e-mails all linked to the Entourage and they work fine for me.

Entourage offers calendar, task, and more. I like the fact I can merge my contacts on my computer and my phone is I desire to (its good to have it as a backup at least)
    08-20-09 11:05 PM
    Hi,

I could only get my Bold to sync reliably with Entourage and Pocket Mac. iCal, Tasks, Missing Sync and combinations thereof eventually led to lost data and mistrust. So the decision was made for me. I have to use Entourage 2008.

-- Robert.
    08-21-09 02:44 AM
    I've used both Entourage and Apple Mail. With Entourage (2004), I had database errors, sllllooooowww opening...and a batch of other technical problems. Originally a M$ Office user from PC, I thought it would be more reliable. As database size increased, so did problems...

Apple Mail is not perfect. Sometimes it too can be slow. But I have nearly 20,000 emails in my mail THIS YEAR.

I can say Mail has gotten much better over the years, and I imagine Snow Leopard will even make it better.

My 2.5 cents worth.
    08-21-09 03:11 PM
    Entourage 2008 is a lot more stable and reliable than 2004.
    08-21-09 11:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD