I've been searching on this forum and have a pretty good understand on how to go about uploading the new leaked firmware. However the most common factor i'm reading is that you can only do it on a PC am I reading this correctly or am I missing something. Basically can I still do the update using my MacBook Pro
    02-11-09 01:32 AM
    Negative I also have a Mac and am stick on.75

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 01:51 AM
    The only way you will be able to upgrade your OS on your storm is if you either.

A) Use a PC with Desktop Manager.
    B) Use Parallels/Bootcamp and Install a copy of Windows and then install Desktop Manager on your mac.
    C) Wait for an official release which you can do a wireless upgrade directly from your phone all OTA.
    02-11-09 01:55 AM
    Go to a friends house and do it....it worked for me.........hehe
    02-11-09 02:16 AM
    The only way you will be able to upgrade your OS on your storm is if you either.

A) Use a PC with Desktop Manager.
    B) Use Parallels/Bootcamp and Install a copy of Windows and then install Desktop Manager on your mac.
    C) Wait for an official release which you can do a wireless upgrade directly from your phone all OTA.
    Hey I really appreciate the reply that's what I needed to know I was a little skitish about trying to update the leaked software myself if u don't mind me asking what version are they currently on and what are the differences between past versions and these current ones.
    02-11-09 03:40 AM
    Hey I really appreciate the reply that's what I needed to know I was a little skitish about trying to update the leaked software myself if u don't mind me asking what version are they currently on and what are the differences between past versions and these current ones.
    if you check out the Beta/OS Discussion Sub forum at the top of the storm forum, there is a whole mess of information that you can sift through.

Basically right now, the official Operating system for the 9530 is .75
    The latest leaked version available to the public is .99/.100
    The latest known leaked version available to beta testers is .111

check out the Beta/OS Discussion sub forum, there are a few How-To's and a bunch of links to leaked operating systems. Those stickied threads will be more then helpful for what you are trying to do.
    02-11-09 04:09 AM
    they are I think on .99 to hybrid .100. I am on .99 and stable.
    02-11-09 04:10 AM
    I use Mac and Windows, it would be great to see a Mac BlackBerry Desktop Manager that allows for OS installs (though they would have to create two separate OS files when released .dmg and .exe)

I use a MacBook Pro at school and when I see a new OS leak it would great to be able to install it on the fly!
    02-11-09 07:02 AM
    I use Mac and Windows, it would be great to see a Mac BlackBerry Desktop Manager that allows for OS installs (though they would have to create two separate OS files when released .dmg and .exe)

I use a MacBook Pro at school and when I see a new OS leak it would great to be able to install it on the fly!
    Unless you load windows on your PC as described above in NFLBlitz's reply, you'll have to wait like the rest of us for RIM to develop a DM for Mac which is supposed to be in the works and released sometime this year-reportedly by Q2 which is fast approaching.
    02-11-09 07:56 AM
    if you check out the Beta/OS Discussion Sub forum at the top of the storm forum, there is a whole mess of information that you can sift through.

Basically right now, the official Operating system for the 9530 is .75
    The latest leaked version available to the public is .99/.100
    The latest known leaked version available to beta testers is .111

check out the Beta/OS Discussion sub forum, there are a few How-To's and a bunch of links to leaked operating systems. Those stickied threads will be more then helpful for what you are trying to do.
    I really appreciated the input thanks a lot. I just so happen to notice you were a Jersey resident as well lol I live in Maplewood right down the hill from you and they say people from the Tri-state area are self absorbed lol anyway again thank you

I'd like to thank everyone who responded I'll do some more research any more suggestions are much welcome
    02-11-09 10:58 AM
    I really appreciated the input thanks a lot. I just so happen to notice you were a Jersey resident as well lol I live in Maplewood right down the hill from you and they say people from the Tri-state area are self absorbed lol anyway again thank you

I'd like to thank everyone who responded I'll do some more research any more suggestions are much welcome
    BTW, welcome to CB! Enjoy the ride!
    Oh, I have family NJ-north, near Philly and at the shore. In a prior life, I was an east coaster.
    02-11-09 11:28 AM
    I upgraded to .99 and seems stable. Browser is much faster typing more accurate.

Only annoyance, when on port mode when keyboard is hidden and the comes up for text entry, it stays where it was when I hid it.

Meaning if I hold the 123 key to lock numbers and then hide, it won't go to default keys when I show the keyboard again...

02-11-09 08:17 PM

02-11-09 08:41 PM
    My advice to you if you are going to install Windows on your mac and use it to do software upgrades is to stay away from running it in a virtual machine. I tried using Parallels and it completely bricked my berry and it was beyond repair(couldnt even fix it with a PC and JL_Cmder or anything like that) Go the bootcamp route and you wont regret it at least if you are upgrading the software on your berry(then use parallels to run it whenever you need to boot into windows for anything else). I hope this helps and saves you a lot of headaches.

Zach
    02-11-09 08:45 PM
    My advice to you if you are going to install Windows on your mac and use it to do software upgrades is to stay away from running it in a virtual machine. I tried using Parallels and it completely bricked my berry and it was beyond repair(couldnt even fix it with a PC and JL_Cmder or anything like that) Go the bootcamp route and you wont regret it at least if you are upgrading the software on your berry(then use parallels to run it whenever you need to boot into windows for anything else). I hope this helps and saves you a lot of headaches.

Zach
    I would agree, stay away from Parallels.

However, I've been running VMWare Fusion for months, and have never had an issue running a copy of XP Pro with Desktop Manager/JL_Cmder/Crackmem performing upgrades.
    02-11-09 09:59 PM
    I use VMWARE fusion to do all my upgrades to my STORM!
    Mac + Vmware + windowxp + Desktopmanager for Windows= Perfect upgrade.

PM me if you want further instruction. with VM
    02-11-09 11:29 PM
    I'm glad to hear that VM-Ware works better than parallels for upgrading, I might switch, although parallels just got a big update I'm tempted to try upgrading with that(but I'm not sure). Does anyone know if Parallels 4 is better/works for doing updates?

Zach
    02-12-09 05:53 AM
    I just updated my parallels software last night in order to update to .109. It had no problem working with DM backing up, but when it started to install it stalled at "connecting to boot rom". Luckily since this is the first step it didn't delete anything and my blackberry still worked fine. Brave, or stupid, I tried it a second time and got the same result. I'm not sure if this is a parallels issue or something with my configuration. Looks like I'll have to wait for the official or use a friends computer.
    02-25-09 07:35 PM
    Whoa Whoa, I was just about to use parallel to update, can you guys go into a little further detail as to why I should not do this...what happened to your storms when using parallel?
    02-25-09 08:06 PM
    J
    I just updated my parallels software last night in order to update to .109. It had no problem working with DM backing up, but when it started to install it stalled at "connecting to boot rom". Luckily since this is the first step it didn't delete anything and my blackberry still worked fine. Brave, or stupid, I tried it a second time and got the same result. I'm not sure if this is a parallels issue or something with my configuration. Looks like I'll have to wait for the official or use a friends computer.
    Same result here with parallels here. It just kept stalling at that same point I scraped and I am going to try vm next time

02-25-09 08:12 PM
    Whoa Whoa, I was just about to use parallel to update, can you guys go into a little further detail as to why I should not do this...what happened to your storms when using parallel?
    Fortunately and unfortunately nothing happened. It would update the OS and it didn't brick the phone. So I wasn't totally pissed. Like I unsuccessfully tried to say above is that it kept giving the same error "connect to boot rom". I am going to try vmware next time.
    02-25-09 08:18 PM
    I use Vmware Fusion on my macbook with xp installed on it for the virtual machine, and have installed every leak so far and have yet to brick my storm.. haven't tried Parallels but if they haven't had any luck with it, i would use Vmware if you were going to go that route.
    02-25-09 09:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD