Sorry about the off topic but I hate joining a new forum for every question on every subject so I look for help among the communities of which I am already a member.

We used to run Windows PCs, 2 desktops, and 2 laptops. Our iTunes library has always resided on one of the desktops, and we all synced our iPods from there.

A few months back my wife replaced her Win laptop with a MacBook, and I have just replaced mine with a MacBook as well. We were still using the Win desktop for iTunes.

The desktop has now died, and will not be replaced. Fortunately I have all of our music backed up on DVDs. (this is not an Itunes library backup- just a direct copy of all our music)

I have an Apple Time Capsule on order to replace our current wireless router.

As we are both using laptops now I would like to store our music library on the time capsule and have iTunes on both the Mac-Books point to the same library.

iTunes has not been set up yet on either of the Mac-Books. What if any are the issues here? When I install the Time Capsule can I just put a music folder on it and move all of our music there via the DVDs, then setup iTunes on each laptop and point it to the music folder on the Time Capsule?

We don't have Itunes store music in our library now, but if we do in the future will that muck things up?
    03-09-08 11:19 AM
    Not sure about the store question, and not real sure what a time capsule is, but if it's anything like my _4! Hard drive, it should't be a problem. The itunes on both my pc and laptop use it for music.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-08 01:30 PM
    That was suuposed to be USB hard drive, still getting used to this tiny keyboard,LOL

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-08 01:32 PM
    I have a 1TB Time Capsule. I have yet to play around with it much, still trying to get my printer to work, but that's another story. I went into iTunes>Preferences>Advanced. Then under the General tab, iTunes Music Folder Location click Change and the TC did show up. So I would guess this will work. You also will need to allow sharing of your Music Folder.
    03-09-08 05:35 PM
    Ok... Just tried it.
    As I stated, set your file location to the TC. I created a new folder called iTunes Music. Then in iTunes under the advanced tab, Consolidate Library.
    It copied all my music to the iTunes Music folder on the TC. It even created the sub-folders. Now I think I can delete the music in my old library folder.
    03-09-08 05:53 PM
    Then to set up another computer, hold down the option key while opening iTunes & iTunes will ask you to pick the music library you want to use. This also works with iPhoto.
    03-09-08 10:37 PM
    Will have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip. Still new to Mac, and still trying to get that bad Windows taste out of my mouth!
    03-10-08 04:28 AM
    OK thanks for the info. Pete you seem to be answering all my questions

Still just a bit confused though. This will be a fresh iTunes set up on both macbooks. I was planing to plop the music onto the TimeCapsule before I set up iTunes on either macbook, then when I set up iTunes just point them at the music.

I wasn't thinking I would need to "consolidate library" as it wont have "moved" for either of them being fresh installs. Do I have this right?
    03-10-08 03:54 PM
    I was also thinking that if I set both iTunes to "let itunes manage my music" it would recognize when the macbook was off the network and show all the music unavailable with the little red x. If music was added to the macbook while off the network it would just go to the default library. When put back on the network it should "manage the music" by putting it in the designated folder on the network drive and making all the music available again.
    03-10-08 03:59 PM
    OK thanks for the info. Pete you seem to be answering all my questions

Still just a bit confused though. This will be a fresh iTunes set up on both macbooks. I was planing to plop the music onto the TimeCapsule before I set up iTunes on either macbook, then when I set up iTunes just point them at the music.

I wasn't thinking I would need to "consolidate library" as it wont have "moved" for either of them being fresh installs. Do I have this right?
    That sounds about right. If it is on the TC, and when you set up iTunes, it will ask it you want it to search for music and it should locate the music library on the TC.
    03-10-08 06:08 PM
    I was also thinking that if I set both iTunes to "let itunes manage my music" it would recognize when the macbook was off the network and show all the music unavailable with the little red x. If music was added to the macbook while off the network it would just go to the default library. When put back on the network it should "manage the music" by putting it in the designated folder on the network drive and making all the music available again.
    This one I think you are on your own. I'm still working with one device on my network connected to the TC which is my MacBook. Once I'm sure all is well and running good, then I'll add my desktop PC. But who knows, by then I'll have a Mac Pro! So maybe you can help me out for a change!
    ps... My new best friend! I think the author had me in mind!

Last edited by Member_No.1; 03-10-08 at 06:25 PM.
    03-10-08 06:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD