I have a mac and i wanted to know how to upgrade my curve 8900 to the latest O.S available. It is currently running on 4.6.1.114, platform 4.2.76. i can't get any of the themes available and I feel like i'm missing on a lot. help me out.
    02-16-09 12:17 PM
    You have to run Desktop Manager to upgrade. DM only runs on Windows. You either have to run a Windows emulator on your Mac or find a friend who will let you use his PC. Or switch to a PC yourself. RIM just doesn't support Mac very well, yet anyway.
    02-16-09 12:35 PM
    Seriously, how long is it going to take to fix this? Can you do it with the mac internet explorer?
    02-16-09 04:54 PM
    Seriously, how long is it going to take to fix this? Can you do it with the mac internet explorer?
    No. Upgrading doesn't use the browser. You have to run Desktop Manager, which only runs on Windows. You know those Mac-PC commercials, where Mac is cool and PC is clumsy? In RIM-world, PC is cool and Mac isn't, at least not yet. There are occasional rumors of a Mac Desktop Manager. That's what you need. When you'll get it, who knows?
    02-16-09 07:55 PM
    Depending on what type of mac you have and what version of OSX you have. If you have Leopard you can install Windows and than DM. Thats what most of us Mac Guys Do.
    02-17-09 01:28 AM
    I doubt that the MAc will ever be able to upgrade a BlackBerry OS. Why? RIM would need to produce every OS it released in two variants and this would be a huge task so I guess that this will not happen. OTA upgrades will become more and more the norm so again there is less incentive to do the extra work to deliver for the Mac.

The Mac is less than 10% of the market and about 30% of that 10 is in vertical use i.e. graphics and recording studios so the end user Mac is somewhat less than 7%.

You can run WIndows on you Mac hardware in a number of ways and this supports Desktop Manager and OS upgrades. This is the way for a MAc hardware owner to upgrade for the forseeable future.

I am moving this thread to the Mac Forum where it should be.
    02-17-09 02:08 AM
    I doubt that the MAc will ever be able to upgrade a BlackBerry OS. Why? RIM would need to produce every OS it released in two variants and this would be a huge task so I guess that this will not happen.
    Huge task? Take the update files, and drop them in a DMG along with an alias to wherever a hypothetical desktop manager would read them. The job would be complete and published before the windows installer has been even been compiled.

The *only* reason you can't update a BB from a Mac, is the lack of software to do so. And that is purely RIM's fault. And it does raise the question, why is a company so enamoured with Java for their devices NOT using a Java desktop app to manage it? It would address any desktop compatibility issues.

The Mac is less than 10% of the market and about 30% of that 10 is in vertical use i.e. graphics and recording studios so the end user Mac is somewhat less than 7%.

You can run WIndows on you Mac hardware in a number of ways and this supports Desktop Manager and OS upgrades. This is the way for a MAc hardware owner to upgrade for the forseeable future.
    You're assuming all windows sales are desktop sales - not all PCs run Windows. Many, many of the systems that do run windows are in Data Centers. Apple's desktop share is growing steadily (up 50% in 2008). I'd also wager that the odds of an Apple owner also owning a smartphone is far greater than a Windows owner.

In other words, you can spin statistics any way you like. But with RIM rumoured to be working on a Mac desktop manager, they tend to put more value on the Apple community than you do.
    02-17-09 08:11 AM
    does anyone have more info on how to update my BB OTA (running OSX :-( )
    02-18-09 09:22 PM
    does anyone have more info on how to update my BB OTA (running OSX :-( )
    Ditto.

This would be a godsend. I loathe the idea of booting into Windoze via VM Fusion.
    02-18-09 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD