So I noticed last night that the official versions of OS 5.0 is now available for my 8900 on O2 UK! Plugged my phone into my macbook expecting to see a new version show up but nothing, I plugged my girlfriends 8520 in and 5.0 showed up!

Any ideas how I can get my OS to show up for my 8900?
    06-25-10 03:43 PM
    So I noticed last night that the official versions of OS 5.0 is now available for my 8900 on O2 UK! Plugged my phone into my macbook expecting to see a new version show up but nothing, I plugged my girlfriends 8520 in and 5.0 showed up!

Any ideas how I can get my OS to show up for my 8900?
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, you can't upgrade an OS through a Mac at all. Not sure if it shows updates that are available to you since I have At&t who doesn't think OS upgrades have any merit, as my Bold would still be stuck at 4.6 if it were up to them, so I've never seen an official upgrade come through.

The OS upgrades are .exe files you have to run and install to a windoze PC, and since .exe doesn't work on Mac, no can do. Thanks RIM, once again, for the mostly crappy software you have given us as Mac users.
    Last edited by JerseyDriver; 06-27-10 at 12:54 PM.
    06-25-10 05:51 PM
    Unless I'm very much mistaken, you can't upgrade an OS through a Mac at all. Not sure if it shows updates that are available to you since I have At&t who doesn't think OS upgrades have an merit, as my Bold would still be stuck at 4.6 if it were up to them, so I've never seen an official upgrade come through.
    Thats what I thought, but it is now showing me OS 5.0 and all the older versions that are also available for the 8520, so i'm thinking that official OS updates are now working through Macs but not any of the unofficial ones that creep out. Just a shame its not picking up the updates for my 8900.
    06-26-10 12:47 AM
    try this: WineBottler - Run Windows Programs directly on OS X it will allow us to use/run Windows apps on our macs
    07-03-10 06:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD