Hi everyone,

I'm new to Blackberry; - Just upgraded from iPhone 3G, and I'm about to setup my BB 9000 Bold to my Mac OS X, 10.5.6.

I just want to know if there are any issues with syncing I should be aware of etc.

BTW. I am aware that many of my questions probably are answered before in this forum and google exists, but it's rather condusing since I'm new to Blackberry. So any heads-up are much appreciated!

Thanks!
    03-10-09 02:40 PM
    First of all you have to get a 3rd aprty app to sync your BB to your Mac. Either PocketMac (free) which you can download from the bb web site, or Misisng Sync which costs $40. do a search and you wil find plenty of info on both of these programs and the problems ppl are having with them. They are not the prefect solution. the Desktop Manager program that came with your BB is PC-only software so you need to load it onto a PC or if you have Bootcamp, Parallels aor VMware and a windows OS then you can run it form your Mac. Again, plenty of info if you do some searches. Finally, some are using google sync to sync their AB and iCal with their BB and some are just copy-pasting their music and photos to their media card. Lastly, there is a program named double Twist that will do the same thing. Good luck and welcome to CB land.
    03-10-09 06:59 PM
    Leaving iPhone for BB and you're a Mac user, eh? RIM thumbs their nose at OS X. Pocketmac is a joke. It has been known to create duplicate events, change event times and other data corrupting mischief. Missing sync is definitely the way to go. Ask for a trial first. There is a chance it won't work at first. MarkSpace support is very good, though not as fast as I would have liked when I had deleted PocketMac to install M/S. PocketMac and M/S cannot peacefully coexist on your Mac. You will have to uninstall one for the other to work. Installing either of them requires at least one reboot. How windowsish. Somebody does not get the point.

I have tried OTA sync with scheduleworld and gmail contacts. Gmail contacts was hopelessly fouled up. I ended up replacing my gmail contacts with an export from my mac address book using syncman (shareware). I was able to restore my bb calendar from scheduleworld when M/S wiped it out one time.

Let me assure you, BB on OS X is going to be a bumpy ride. I value a keyboard, long battery life and push email or I'd have to consider an iPhone myself.
    03-10-09 07:11 PM
    Leaving iPhone for BB and you're a Mac user, eh? RIM thumbs their nose at OS X. Pocketmac is a joke. It has been known to create duplicate events, change event times and other data corrupting mischief. Missing sync is definitely the way to go. Ask for a trial first. There is a chance it won't work at first. MarkSpace support is very good, though not as fast as I would have liked when I had deleted PocketMac to install M/S. PocketMac and M/S cannot peacefully coexist on your Mac. You will have to uninstall one for the other to work. Installing either of them requires at least one reboot. How windowsish. Somebody does not get the point.

I have tried OTA sync with scheduleworld and gmail contacts. Gmail contacts was hopelessly fouled up. I ended up replacing my gmail contacts with an export from my mac address book using syncman (shareware). I was able to restore my bb calendar from scheduleworld when M/S wiped it out one time.

Let me assure you, BB on OS X is going to be a bumpy ride. I value a keyboard, long battery life and push email or I'd have to consider an iPhone myself.
    You state that PocketMac is a joke, but there are many many users here who feel the same exact way about Missing Sync. Also, Missing Sync's (Mark/Space) support is NOT very good- a lot of threads here in the forums attest to that.

@Lib~ your mileage may very. Although one program is free and the other not, neither of them are the best solution for flawless syncing.

If you have a PC, save yourself that gray hairs and use it.
    03-12-09 05:39 PM
    Good luck bud, I know nothing about Mac's (except that I can't afford to own the one I'd want), but you're in the right place!
    03-12-09 05:43 PM
    Good luck bud, I know nothing about Mac's (except that I can't afford to own the one I'd want), but you're in the right place!
    Save Save Save & you too can have the ultimate device!!
    03-12-09 05:47 PM
    lol i believe ScandaLex! Just working on knocking these student loans down first, making payments online using my Toshiba laptop
    03-12-09 05:48 PM
    lol i believe ScandaLex! Just working on knocking these student loans down first, making payments online using my Toshiba laptop
    Ok Sullie- let's keep it real. Toshiba is NOT a bad brand. Last year my sister & I were at the car dealer & she lopsidedly said Best Buy was having a sale on laptops. I asked here when she heard that & she said she heard it that morning & she was in the market for one.

I said, girl are you crazy? You should have been there when they opened & here it is almost 2:30 in the afternoon. Well anyway, we go to Best Buy (we were already down the street) & of course, the laptops on sale were gone. They sold out w/In 2 hours of the store opening.

Here's the deal. They were going for $299. So we go home & I get on the phone. I spend so much time in Best Buy that I had to get my thoughts together & figure out which store may have them.

I get lucky. I find a store about 1.5 hr away; call them & they have 1 left. I begged for them to hold it (which they werent supposed to do- 1st come 1st serve)....During this time, my sister decides to go to the store. I hit her cell & said drop everything & come get me.

We arrive at the Best Buy and they had another special- $100 off the laptop w/ a wireless modem purchase. She got her Toshiba for $199 & I got the wireless modem for $29.

Had I not already had my MacBook, her & I would have been fighting over that laptop!
    03-12-09 06:05 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for the tips on Pocket Mac and Missing Sync, however, for some reason, both og them didn't do the job for me. I went ahead and bought Missing Sync and followed the installation manual, but I kept getting the same error promt "Can't access PIM Database "ToDo" on my BB Bold.

Maybe I was doing something wrong but my MacBook Pro couldn't "see" my BB and for some reason I couldn't find a solution to my sync problem on Google or in this forum.So at the end of the day I had to email my BB with all my contacts and manually add them to my Address Book! About 260 contact! My thumbs are sore...

In short, - BB Bold, super easy to set up, email accounts easy easy etc. but the sync between BB and Mac! Forget about it!

Regarding the switch from iPhone 3G to BB Bold, - Sure the iPhone is a great multimedia device but the touch qwerty keyboard is a torment and I hate the fact that after flying for 12 hours, randomly listening to music, the iPhone is dead.

In BB I see a Communicator. I know it can play music and movies and stuff, but my main use for a handheld is communication via email, web etc. + I can always replace the battery.

Just to bad it doesn't sync with OS X, as I will never buy a Windows Laptop.
    03-13-09 07:13 AM
    I hear you with regards to buying a windows laptop. I am using my work PC to load DM. also I saved my old Hp laptop which I will use as well but only for DM; my very last personal PC ever since I saw the light and got my MBP. Good luck and enjoy your BB.
    03-13-09 09:00 AM
    Get VMware Fusion
    Install Windows 7 (PM me for the key)
    Install Blackberry Desktop Manager
    *Before doing anything go into Control Panel>Hardware and Sounds>Power Options>Change Plan Settings>Change Advanced Power Settings>USB settings>USB selective suspend setting>DISABLE*
    03-13-09 09:58 AM
    I have yet another rookie question: Why will my BB Bold not mount on desktop when I via USB connect it to my Mac?

Reasons for doing so is to either drop media into my memory card on BB and/or use Double Twist. Thanks!
    03-13-09 10:17 AM
    I have yet another rookie question: Why will my BB Bold not mount on desktop when I via USB connect it to my Mac?

Reasons for doing so is to either drop media into my memory card on BB and/or use Double Twist. Thanks!
    When connected to the computer, a prompt should pop up on your Bold. Make sure you click "yes"

If nothing is popping up, do the following on your Bold:
    Options>Memory>under "Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected:" choose prompt.
    03-13-09 10:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD