Getting my first blackberry on Nov 20, the new curve with verizon. I have already read about the issue where a draft is automatically saved on the server and know how to solve it...

My question is, what is the best overall setup for my email?

I currently have Gmail set up as POP3 on my Mac Mail application, and never use the gmail website. Ideally, I would like to have them synced so that when I delete an email on the BB it will delete from Mac Mail, and if I read it on the BB it will show as "read" on Mac Mail, etc. If this is not possible, what is the "best" set-up?

If there is no other option, I would consider using only the BB + Gmail website, eliminating the Mail App...
    Last edited by mgb5011; 11-14-09 at 02:00 AM.
    11-14-09 01:19 AM
    Hi,

Here are some random observations. I use Gmail for storage only and I use my own domain name.

It's worth migrating all your legacy email to Gmail.

With Gmail "Labels" = "Folders".

Set Gmail up for IMAP. Read and delete email on your BB and it will sync to your email client.

Use your ISP for SMTP (mail out) so you can use your own domain (e.g. info@crackberry.com). Then recipients see your email as being from "info@crackberry.com" and not "crackberry@gmail.com".

Gmail has some folders that you don't want to subscribe to in your email client (e.g. the "All Mail" and "Spam" folder). Apple Mail only subscribes to *all* IMAP folders, so I suppose live with it. Or try Thunderbird. I use Entourage.

If your carrier has BIS 2.8 BlackBerry there is an "Enhanced Gmail Plug-in" that is useful. Mostly because you can search all your emails on the Gmail server.

When you set up a Gmail account for your BB the Enhanced Gmail Plug-in will give you an option to sync Contacts. The Mac Address Book can also sync with Gmail. I like it, others don't.

The Enhanced Gmail Plug-in is built in to OS 5. Rumour is next year BIS 3.x will offer two-way sync with BB and your computer for mail, contacts and calendar.

Edit: I don't like the Google Sync app for BB. It caused to many headaches on my Bold, but worked fine on my Pearl.

-- Robert.
    Last edited by rob7100g; 11-14-09 at 03:46 AM.
    11-14-09 03:41 AM
    I don't see a need for my own domain, although it would be cool. Everyone already has my @gmail.com address anyway.

After some research I finally converted Gmail in my Mail app from POP3 to IMAP (and got the Trash, All Mail folders to work nicely). Much better... so this is what "push" email is. I can see how using IMAP on both the BB and Mail app will produce the result I am looking for.

Thanks! Looking forward to the new blackberry.
    11-14-09 01:35 PM
    Glad you got this to a place where you're happy with it. I definitely love having my Gmail pushed to my device. Do some reading on the front page about the BIS features coming in the spring, very cool stuff on the way!
    11-14-09 01:37 PM
    Ran into one more problem... IMAP is working great, but now when I receive a new email there is no sound notification from the Mail App. (I am running Snow Leopard, all updates installed) Any ideas?
    11-14-09 02:06 PM
    You're right there's no need for your own domain but I think it's more professional. Google recently added the option of using your ISP for sending email.

If you read the eamil on your BB and it arrives as read in Apple Mail then there would be no sound for new mail. Because it isn't new.
    11-14-09 03:48 PM
    I don't have my BB yet... I'm getting my first BB (Curve 2 8530) when it is released on Nov. 20. So the emails are still new, and Mail App shows a (1) that there is new mail waiting.

After some research I have learned it is a known issue when using IMAP with Mail. Was just wondering if anyone on CB has found a way to solve it yet...
    11-14-09 04:58 PM
    You're right there's no need for your own domain but I think it's more professional. Google recently added the option of using your ISP for sending email.
    Is that new feature you spoke about in settings on Gmail or a supported feature in mail clients?
    11-15-09 01:16 PM
    Is that new feature you spoke about in settings on Gmail or a supported feature in mail clients?
    Well new as of July 09. Previously you had no choice. If you used a different "From" address Gmail would send it as "on behalf of" that would show up in email clients like Outlook and Entourage.

But now you can choose your ISPs domain as the Sender instead of using Gmail:

Official Gmail Blog: Send mail from another address without "on behalf of"

-- Robert.
    11-16-09 04:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD