Is it just me but is there some peeve about Mac users and the BB. As a mac user I find it rather disturbing that VZW refuses to support the mac users. I bought a storm and had to return it latter because of the amount of bugs that it had but I am very much wanting to buy the Niagara when it comes out.

granted I was able to tether the mac to the BB storm but that required some hacking and a whole bunch of research on my part. For the average consumer they are not that sophisticated to figure that stuff out.

Hopefully it will have all the same features as the bold. I am not sure how any other mac users feel about this but even talking directly to VZW they pretty much said there was no hope for us mac users. Personally I think most mac users went to ATT to buy the Iphone just because they supported mac and VZW only has windows users.

Maybe I am being crazy here but is it really that big a deal for BB and VZW to support the mac?

Any Thoughts?
    03-13-09 01:58 PM
    VZW doesn't make the BlackBerry Manager, RIM does so they are the ones neglecting Mac not VZW. They are neglecting them all across the board for all the different carriers.
    03-13-09 03:21 PM
    Apparently a Mac Desktop Manager is coming out in Q2 this year. Keep your fingers crossed and hang in there. Until then, try using PocketMac. It does the job of syncing calendars for me.
    03-13-09 04:49 PM
    As has been said already, it's not Verizon, it's RIM. And, the more people that buy the BB device, the more people there are to have Mac's, and the more people there are to speak up about it, and the better chance there is of RIM doing something about it.

It's coming, just hold on bud. In the meantime, there are Mac users on this forum that have found some great solutions.

In addition, I've got a PC and only used DM like 4 times in a year now, it's not completely necessary.
    03-13-09 04:53 PM
    does anyone know if DM manager for mac when it is released will be for osx 10.4 or only 10.5? because i have a macbook running 10.4 and dont wanna upgrade the os because i was going to but a macbook pro in october. im sure there are no actual specs yet but im jw
    03-13-09 05:40 PM
    Also when running Mac it means they will have to release a Mac build and a Windows build of ALL phone software because Windows uses .exe while Mac uses .dmg

It's extra work for RIM (well worth it with the growth of Apple though) but it will take them time to get coders to do it.

This will also make leaks very interesting..
    03-13-09 08:40 PM
    Apparently a Mac Desktop Manager is coming out in Q2 this year. Keep your fingers crossed and hang in there. Until then, try using PocketMac. It does the job of syncing calendars for me.
    Yes there is DM support coming for Mac. Just try and have a little more patience.
    03-14-09 08:29 AM
    Yes there is DM support coming for Mac. Just try and have a little more patience.
    Yay, exciting! Looking forward to that...hopefully I'll be syncing a Niagara and not a Storm.
    03-14-09 09:25 AM
    Us iPhone resistant Mac users have been suffering for too long.

If RIM could accommodate us sooner rather than later it would be good timing prior to the Palm Pre release...

Last I checked, the advice for a Mac user wanting to use a Palm Pre was - bounce all your date through Google (groan...)

Whoever gets the Mac user experience the most 'right' will get the business - IMHO.

But I for one, am pretty dam tired out with the whole thing...

Hurry up RIM !!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 05:30 PM
    Mac has held steady below 10% of the entire computing market since inceptions. Granted, they move up a little over 1% in the past year, but they are still an insignificant minority of the market.

Why, when you buy something that makes up such a small percentage of the market, would you honestly expect third party manufacturers to treat you as an equal portion of the market and roll out applications on an even basis?
    It seems that most here understand that, but a few don't. I would say that you will have to hold out until Mac has at least a 20-25% market share. At historical growth rates, and given Apple's bloated pricing structure in hard economic times, you shouldn't have more than 25-30 more years to wait.
    03-15-09 07:13 PM
    Mac has held steady below 10% of the entire computing market since inceptions. Granted, they move up a little over 1% in the past year, but they are still an insignificant minority of the market.

Why, when you buy something that makes up such a small percentage of the market, would you honestly expect third party manufacturers to treat you as an equal portion of the market and roll out applications on an even basis?
    It seems that most here understand that, but a few don't. I would say that you will have to hold out until Mac has at least a 20-25% market share. At historical growth rates, and given Apple's bloated pricing structure in hard economic times, you shouldn't have more than 25-30 more years to wait.
    Well with all the crap Microsoft is spewing out these days it won't be long till Apple is at 50%
    03-16-09 07:23 AM
    Also when running Mac it means they will have to release a Mac build and a Windows build of ALL phone software because Windows uses .exe while Mac uses .dmg

It's extra work for RIM (well worth it with the growth of Apple though) but it will take them time to get coders to do it.

This will also make leaks very interesting..
    It doesn't take coders to build either package, and of the two, dmgs are by far the easiest to slap together. Their bests choice would be to stop releasing executable installers for windows and choose something that is cross platform. Or, build the Mac DM to extract the updates from the exe itself.
    03-16-09 07:33 AM
    Well it's not vzw fault...it's RIMs. But I have thought about going to att to get an iphone to go with my mac. I do like my bb so much though and I like vzw! I don't know have have about a year to think on this until my contract is up.
    03-16-09 07:42 AM

Of *which* market?

The flaw in your logic is that you assume 90% PC compatible market share is a 100% potential sale for BlackBerry. Far, far from it. In the PC market, how many don't run windows? How many represent only one user (a PC at work, and at home?) How many (windows or not) are in data centers? How many are on ma or pa's desk, who think "sync" is something in the kitchen?

The potential for a smartphone sell may not be equitable between the two, but it's not a 90-10 split either. I'd wager the odds of a mac user owning a smartphone are higher than a typical Windows user. Considering that each and every mac probably has a corresponding user and that mac owners tend to part with money much more quickly than their PC counterparts
    03-16-09 07:52 AM
    Of *which* market?

The flaw in your logic is that you assume 90% PC compatible market share is a 100% potential sale for BlackBerry. Far, far from it. In the PC market, how many don't run windows? How many represent only one user (a PC at work, and at home?) How many (windows or not) are in data centers? How many are on ma or pa's desk, who think "sync" is something in the kitchen?

The potential for a smartphone sell may not be equitable between the two, but it's not a 90-10 split either. I'd wager the odds of a mac user owning a smartphone are higher than a typical Windows user. Considering that each and every mac probably has a corresponding user and that mac owners tend to part with money much more quickly than their PC counterparts
    haha hey now i don't part with my money very easy...but i sure as he11 did for my mac!
    03-16-09 07:56 AM
    Even if 50% of PC owners were willing to part with the money as opposed to 100% of Mac owners, there is a HUGE disparity in numbers. Not to mention the fact that Mac has a brand loyalty going, resulting in a majority of Mac owner more likely to but the iPhone and actually believe it's a SmartPhone.

The biggest flaw in your logic is your attempted protrayal of Mac users being more tech savvy, therefore more willing to buy smartphones. I would counter that most Mac users are more susceptible to advertising, therefore less intelligent than the average consumer

More seriously, the sales number are reflected across all sales, not just home users. The vast majority of businesses, homes, schools, etc run Windows platforms, thereby making it more profitable for business application developers to develop for them.

Except for my joking statement above, I'm not bashing Mac users, merely pointing out that if you live in the minority of users, you have to expect that it comes with the minority of support.
    03-16-09 02:24 PM
    Even if 50% of PC owners were willing to part with the money as opposed to 100% of Mac owners, there is a HUGE disparity in numbers. Not to mention the fact that Mac has a brand loyalty going, resulting in a majority of Mac owner more likely to but the iPhone and actually believe it's a SmartPhone.

The biggest flaw in your logic is your attempted protrayal of Mac users being more tech savvy, therefore more willing to buy smartphones. I would counter that most Mac users are more susceptible to advertising, therefore less intelligent than the average consumer

More seriously, the sales number are reflected across all sales, not just home users. The vast majority of businesses, homes, schools, etc run Windows platforms, thereby making it more profitable for business application developers to develop for them.

Except for my joking statement above, I'm not bashing Mac users, merely pointing out that if you live in the minority of users, you have to expect that it comes with the minority of support.
    Haha....and you say that people that buy Dell and HP are smart? Have you heard of a word called "Crapware"? I run all 3 OSs and Vista/XP is the lowest ranking on that list. Anything over 5% market share is worth building support for.

EDIT: Here is a helpful link for those PC owners that don't build them: Welcome | The PC Decrapifier
    Last edited by lyoko37; 03-17-09 at 09:25 AM.
    03-17-09 09:22 AM
    It would be nice to plug my Storm into my Macbook without having to do a lot of work arounds or something but until I can I am not going to sweat it that much.

As for the majority of computer users are Windows users I do not think it is because of choice...it is more because of that was the OS on the computer when they bought it! With MS getting their software on every computer built expect for Macs then naturally they will have the highest numbers on users. People working on budgets will buy the cheapest computer they can that does the work they need that is true in business and government budgeting as well. If Mac pricing was more competitive you would probably see more Macs being used.

I converted to Mac after a long time MS user and I will NOT go back to a MS based system for my use with the exception of being forced to by my employer for work related stuff.
    03-17-09 09:50 AM
    Seriously Martin, why do you have to hate on Mac? I use a PC at work and a Mac at home, and will NEVER go back to a PC at home. I use my work PC to upgrade my OS and my Mac to sync using Pocketmac. Yes it took a tad longer to set up that process but I don't mind.

This may become a moot issue as far as OS upgrades are concerned, as it appears upgrading is moving to OTA anyway...

That all being said, ditto what others have responded to the OP - it's not Verizon's issue, it's a RIM thing. There are plenty of people here who have gotten OS upgrades/DM to work on their Mac using bootcamp, fusion, parallels, etc. search the Mac forum here for details...
    03-17-09 01:57 PM
    Well with all the crap Microsoft is spewing out these days it won't be long till Apple is at 50%
    ....Except Windows 7 is totally awesome and even though having more than 5 different versions of it is stupid it is a fantastic successor to XP. Vista.... well... yeah, they screwed the pooch pretty hard on that one.
    03-17-09 02:33 PM
    ....Except Windows 7 is totally awesome and even though having more than 5 different versions of it is stupid it is a fantastic successor to XP. Vista.... well... yeah, they screwed the pooch pretty hard on that one.
    Just wait till we have Windows 7 and Office 14 out.
    03-17-09 04:06 PM
    Just wait till we have Windows 7 and Office 14 out.
    These names are just so creative....wtb new Windows marketing department!

On a more serious note... I'm excited for having Mac support whenever they get it out. I already carry my USB cord with me everywhere I go so I can charge it (though I don't have much of a problem anymore since the Seidio 1600). Just as Apple is slow to get basic functions out on their phone, RIM is slow to get support for DM on all platforms (though I doubt Linux will ever be supported)
    Last edited by lyoko37; 03-18-09 at 06:49 AM.
    03-17-09 06:34 PM
    Of *which* market?

I agree. Think about it if Iphone sold over a million Iphones then what to say that RIM can't keep up. Mac is by far the best operating system hands down. I think that PC software developers don't fully understand the impact Mac has on the world around us. Take for example professionals in the field of visual entertainment they can spend easily 5 grand on mac product. When many PC users are not as sophisticated with there tech and will usually stick with a more simple phone.
    03-20-09 12:10 PM
    Apart from the whole which OS is better issue, it is flawed to say that 10% is too insignificant a market. As lyoko37 pointed out, anything over 5% would be worth to support.

Do people even realize the extent that computers have infiltrated our lives? 10% would be more than 50 million at least! And working on other users notions, most mac users are more akin to smart phones or are better candidates for owning smartphones considering how many PC's are used in developing and emerging markets. Again, that in no way says that the Mac base is larger but a larger percentage of those users would be more inclined to buy a smartphone.

AND looking at the thousands of updates being pushed for phones like the Storm it really leaves you out for no reason. For my 8900 I had to use my friends Mac using Boot Camp. There is no way that I am installing Windows unless its on a VM which sadly doesn't work for the new Curve updates.
    03-21-09 08:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD