So by this time next week I shall have my very first blackberry in my possession.

I understand that desktop manager is for Windows.

How important is it that I sync it with my computer? This is just for calendar and contacts. Right?

If I rely on google for all that already, is it necessary to even connect the BB to my computer?
    07-09-09 12:16 AM
    So by this time next week I shall have my very first blackberry in my possession.

I understand that desktop manager is for Windows.

How important is it that I sync it with my computer? This is just for calendar and contacts. Right?

If I rely on google for all that already, is it necessary to even connect the BB to my computer?
    There are 2 software solutions for Mac sync. One is PocketMac. I don't like it. The other is Missing Sync. I don't like it either, but I like it more than I like PocketMac.

I have not found a way to do OTA sync with google that I'm entirely satisfied with. I sync to ical, address and from there my data gets pushed to MobileMe. I came very close to dropping MobileMe this year but decided to give it "one more chance" to work in other areas I was having trouble. MoMe syncs flawlessly to iCal and address but I can't say I've had the same experience with other clouds such as scheduleworld or google.

Newer phones like iphone and pre can be cloud centric. BB is kind of straddling the line. BB offers 2 kinds of email service. One is for corporate users and is called BES. It incorporates OTA sync. The other is for the rest of us and is called BIS. It does NOT incorporate OTA sync.

When you get your new BB, you can very quickly get your email set up at verizon/rim's BIS site. Then you will need to decide whether you want to install a 3rd party app on your BB to sync with google or whatever, or perhaps you will choose to sync with your Mac using Missing Sync. I cannot recommend PocketMac at this time.

Rumors abound that BB Desktop Manager is coming to OS X. Sure it is. Right after national health care and the third trillion in stimulus.

There are several stumbling blocks here. One is Apple. Their iCal and address software is not without its quirks. Another is google. Google contacts and calendar is not without quirks either. Lastly, older BB OS phones have some quirks as well. I noticed my sync time improved fivefold after I upgraded to OS 4.5 from OS 4.2 on my BB 8830.

hope this helps...
    07-09-09 01:12 PM
    I want to set up my Tour to reliably add to my Mac desktop updates to contacts and appointments; (i.e., add things on my Tour, have it sync easily to my desktop AND a "cloud.") I already have Mobile Me; can you spell out, as easily as you can, what to do to synch iCal/Address Book TO both the new BB and Mobile Me?

Best,
    JS
    07-09-09 08:11 PM
    I'm a little late to the party but there is an app for the Mac called Spanning Sync. It costs $29 or something but it does a good job of continuously syncing iCal and Address Book to Google Calendar and Gmail.

So, once these are synced to Google, you'll have no trouble keeping an over-the-air sync via the Google Sync app for the BB.

And Spanning Sync doesn't interfere with MobileMe, so both my Mac Pro and MacBook are kept in sync (via MobileMe) as is my BB (via GoogleSync).

Edit: And, yes, it syncs both directions...
    07-15-09 10:30 PM
    *snip* is it necessary to even connect the BB to my computer?
    If you ever want to back up the databases on your phone, like contacts, messages, applications, settings, permissions, and all the rest of it, yes, you do need to connect it to the computer.

Unfortunately, you need to connect it to a WINDOZE computer, and use Desktop Manager.

Subsequently, if you ever need to wipe and RESTORE your phone, those backups are what are needed. Again, WINDOZE and Desktop Manager.

Think of DM as a kind of "Time Machine", and you see why it's an important bit of software that just isn't available to those of us running "the other OS", unless we're willing to Bootcamp a Windoze install, or run a virtual Machine via VMwareFusion (what I use) or Parallels, or even the free VirtualBox (can't vouch for how well that works though, with DM/Blackberrys).
    07-15-09 10:39 PM
    I'm a little late to the party but there is an app for the Mac called Spanning Sync. It costs $29 or something but it does a good job of continuously syncing iCal and Address Book to Google Calendar and Gmail.

So, once these are synced to Google, you'll have no trouble keeping an over-the-air sync via the Google Sync app for the BB.

And Spanning Sync doesn't interfere with MobileMe, so both my Mac Pro and MacBook are kept in sync (via MobileMe) as is my BB (via GoogleSync).

Edit: And, yes, it syncs both directions...
    This works perfectly. I have used this method for nearly a year. Adding a Mobile Me account will sync everything across all your computers. Also if you have a mail system that uses Active Sync, check out Astra Sync software for BB.
    07-16-09 01:12 PM
    This works perfectly. I have used this method for nearly a year. Adding a Mobile Me account will sync everything across all your computers. Also if you have a mail system that uses Active Sync, check out Astra Sync software for BB.
    Actually, I suddenly have had some issues with calendar entries on the BlackBerry being doubled up, though doesn't seems to spread beyond the handheld (i.e., no duplication of events on Google or on the Mac).

Not sure why, but I suspect its because I now have my workplace's BES set up on my Tour.

Grrr...
    07-18-09 05:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD