I love mu Iphone but I have been having so much problems with service so I am thinking of getting BB. I understand that I can sync contact and calendars to my Mac, what about email? Is my MobileMe email going to be push email (as soon as i received it, it will show up on my blackberry), and once I read them on BB are they show in my Mail as unread or read? same thing with Gmail and Yahoo accounts.

Thanks
    04-23-09 07:54 PM
    Yes.

If you get a BB just go to the BIS website and add your mobile me account and your password.

Then you will get your emails on the BB.

I still have my iPhone and BOLD and the BOLD sometimes gets the emails before my iPhone. But usually the come at the same time. So your not losing too much unless you use folders.
    04-23-09 09:56 PM
    Yes.

If you get a BB just go to the BIS website and add your mobile me account and your password.

Then you will get your emails on the BB.

I still have my iPhone and BOLD and the BOLD sometimes gets the emails before my iPhone. But usually the come at the same time. So your not losing too much unless you use folders.
    I use folders but its not something that I cant live w/out. Is the same thing with Gmail or Yahoo accounts?
    Another question, can BB receive emails with HTML? Also, any iPhone features that you are missing on Bold since you have both of them?
    Last edited by whynot83706; 04-23-09 at 10:37 PM.
    04-23-09 10:23 PM
    I use folders but its not something that I cant live w/out. Is the same thing with Gmail or Yahoo accounts?
    Another question, can BB receive emails with HTML?
    Yes

This is what you see when you use BIS

You will be able to use Both G-mail and yahoo, or whichever uses IMAP or POP3 as well

The one and only thing i miss a lot is the fact the on the iPhone it has the time on top of everything, ie the browser and some apps.

Well on the BB it only has the time on top of some apps but not all. One place id like to see the Clock implemented on is the browser.

Other than that i dont really miss the iPhone too much, my iPhone is now my iPod...
    Last edited by mad_vtak; 04-23-09 at 10:43 PM.
    04-23-09 10:38 PM
    BB is a very different beast. When you switch, just save the old phone just in case you can't get used to the change. That said...the iPhone does easily convert to an iPod touch.
    04-25-09 01:11 AM
    Hey guys.

I am on day two of my BB experience. Wishing Verizon had the iPhone but that is water under the bridge at this point. I needed a phone that worked in NYC and the AT&T service there is horrible.

I have a lot of issues with email so far.

This "BIS" site people are talking about; I was never told at the Verizon store I would have to log into this site. I only found out about it by browsing on this forum. I tried to register there and am unable to do so.

I just went home, entered my mobileme and gmail accounts into the Setup application, and email started working. I was a bit shocked it did not ask for outgoing and incoming server information, or what type accounts they were (POP versus IMAP). I definitely want it to be IMAP.

Only problem is, I don't see all the folders (Sent, Trash, Junk, etc) that I used to see on my iPhone.

Also, where are all the emails that are still in my Inbox on my Mac? The BB is only showing emails since I got the device.

Thanks!
    09-27-09 10:56 AM
    I have found Mobile Me to not be true 2 way sync like you think of when you use the Iphone. Your mac mail will come to your inbox of the BB (and on your web browser or Mail application on your Mac). If you delete an item on your BB, it will delete on your Mac. I, however, if you delete on your Mac, it may or may not delete it on the BB (usually occurs once or twice a day, but not on a regular basis). I find myself deleting items on my BB that have previously been deleted on my computer on a regular basis.
    The only folder on your BB is the Inbox. Other folders, sent, trash etc do not show.
    I'm hoping that I'm doing something wrong and someone will show me a better way, but haven't seen it yet.
    09-27-09 01:23 PM
    Remember that the email setup on the phone is just the phone's version of the BIS site.

You can have up to 10 email addresses accessed via the phone, plus your @carrier.blackberry.net address.
    09-27-09 03:13 PM
    Well it seems it gets even better...

The BB can't even sync which messages have been read on the Mac. It was just showing new messages that I then read on the Mac, gave plenty of time for the BB to update itself, even turned it off and back on again, and they still show up as unread messages on the BB.

So the BB winds up being a device that is unable to perform the most basic of IMAP functions. The Inbox does not even update.

Yes I realize that with BES you get more functionality but I am not an enterprise user. This is truly pathetic. If I had known this I would have looked at a WinMo or Android phone, but of course there aren't any great ones yet on Verizon. Can't even look at an HTC TP2 in a store because it can only be had online.

Thanks for the tips and info guys.
    09-27-09 03:58 PM
    Yes, BIS is a LITE version of BBB BES service which syncs email, contacts, calendar, and notes wirelessly.

Part of the profit model for BB is selling the BES software to enterprise accounts. If you want more functionality with the BB you have to upgrade your account with Verizon and then can pay a hosted BB service for the service. All are added $$.

Active Sync, a Microsoft product is used by the iphone and pushes email, contacts and calendar to the device. Having used this, it works well, but battery life on the device is affected adversely. BB has figured out how to push to their devices and not adversely affect the battery. I have an 8830 and I routinely go 3 days without charging. I don't miss having to plug the device in all the time.

The BB is primarily an email device. The iphone to my mind is really a pocketable computer. The apps that are being developed for it make it a very interesting and fun device to use. Too bad at&t service can't keep up with the usage!
    10-01-09 07:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD