I'm a relatively new BB user and I'm using Missing Sync to sync all my information from my MacBook to my 8130. I have a 4GB SanDisk in my phone and the sync won't work when the SD card is in place. Missing Sync automatically spits back the error message: Synchronization cancelled due to device error. If I take the card out, the sync works.

Obviously the current workaround is to take out the card, but has anyone had this experience? I'd prefer not to take the card out every time I need to sync and I know I'll quickly blow through the first 64MB on the device and need the extra space.

I've also tried PocketMac but the app would get stuck halfway through and then freeze up. Emails to tech support went unanswered.

Thanks in advance!
    05-06-08 10:19 AM
    I also had the freezing problem with PocketMac so I changed to missing Sync. And yes I have to remove my SD card as well for the sync to work. It doesn't make sense seeing as we should be able to sync our music and stuff as well and why would one store all of that information on the phone.

I don't have any answers for you ... but you are not alone in needing them.
    05-07-08 08:25 AM
    I am having the same issue. Maybe a mod can do some checking and are if there is any help. But here is a question. Has anyone upgraded to 4.5 and cleared up this issue?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-08 10:19 PM
    I've been in touch with Missing Sync via a tech support ticket. We haven't figured out the SD card bit yet, but if you take the SD card out, you can sync after doing the following things. It worked for me and as long as my SD card is removed, I can sync my iCal and Address Book. They're working on the issues with the SD card. But in the meantime, try this!

1. In Missing Sync for BlackBerry, double click the Calendar plugin and reselect one of your calendars for the field: "Put events created on the device into:"

2. In Missing Sync for BlackBerry, double click the Tasks plugin and reselect one of your calendars for the field: "Put tasks created on the device into:"

Then with the SD card out of the BlackBerry, try this:

Soft reset your BlackBerry. Turn it off, pull the battery for 3 minutes, put it back and turn on.

Then connect the BlackBerry and try the sync.

Once that is done, try this:

1. Go to iCal and click the 'File' menu and choose 'Back up database'. (Leopard - 'File' menu and choose 'Back up iCal')

2. Now revert to the same database you just backed up, click on the 'File' menu and choose 'Revert to database backup'. (Leopard - click on the 'File' menu and choose 'Restore iCal')

3. Do the same process for Address Book click the 'File' menu and choose 'Back up Address Book' (Leopard - 'File' menu and choose 'Export - Address Book Archive')

4. Now revert to the same database you just backed up, click on the 'File' menu and choose 'Revert to Address Book backup'. (Leopard - click on the 'Import' menu and choose 'Address Book Archive')

Steps 1 through 4 are key to the process, they are not just a backup, but the revert part forces a reset of the relationship between Sync Services and iCal and Address Book.

5. Launch the iSync application, found in the /Applications/ folder. (iSync is not used for the sync, but iSync is where Apple handles Sync Services Preferences.)

6. Click on the iSync menu

7. Choose Preferences

8. Click the 'Reset Sync History' button. Read and follow the onscreen directions.

9. This may or may not launch iCal. When the reset process has begun the button will go grey, it is complete when the button becomes active again, but there is no need to re-click it.

10. Restart the Mac

11. Soft reset your BlackBerry. Turn it off, pull the battery for 3 minutes, put it back and turn on.

12. In Missing Sync for BlackBerry, double click the Calendar plugin and reselect the calendar for the field: "Put events created on the device into:"

13. In Missing Sync for BlackBerry, double click the Tasks plugin and reselect the calendar for the field: "Put Tasks created on the device into:"

Then, try the sync again.

-Lara
    05-09-08 07:57 PM
    I have been syncing my BB8830 with Missing Sync but suddenly it's stopped syncing to iCal. It has always worked before but now it tells me it has synced but it hasn't. Help! This BB-Mac thing is making me crazy!
    05-12-08 12:19 PM
    I had the same problem with my 8130, an 8gb card and Leopard. Actually, it worked until I got a couple of gig of data on the card, then it started the reboot cycles. I tried many of the suggestions to no avail.

So I was happy to see that the 8330 doesn't have this issue it seems. I traded today, and so far everything just works. Missing Sync works, Mass Storage Mode works, and that's with the card just moved from the 8130 to the 8330. The 8330 is running 4.3.0.127 and the Pearl was running 4.3.0 also.
    05-12-08 11:06 PM
    The 8830 definitely has the same problems - it just takes them a while to emerge I think. But I tried what Savollywood said above and it works. But that's an awful lot to go through just to sync calendars.
    05-14-08 01:38 PM
    But I tried what Savollywood said above and it works. But that's an awful lot to go through just to sync calendars.
    Tell me about it! It still doesn't work if the SD card is installed. I have to remember to take it out whenever I want to sync.
    05-20-08 03:08 PM
    8130 w/ 8GB SanDisk.

From a fresh start, MissingSync will not have problems if I do not turn on mass storage mode. Of course, one of the reasons I bought it was because it says it can sync iTunes playlists and iPhoto photos...

If I attempt do sync AFTER a failed "Yes" on mass storage (Sync cancel and try again) it WILL NOT connect.

Quirky program... I hope they get it fixed ASAP.

In case anyone is interested, here is my error message:

Error reading from device (e0004051)
    Error communicating with device: read number of commands acknowledgement failed.
    Synchronization cancelled due to error. Could not connect to device.
    05-28-08 12:05 AM
    My Missing Sync/SD card problem is that when I eject, my Mac hangs up. MarkSpace's tech people told me that the problem is that Spotlight is trying to index the card and the solution is to go to the Spotlight preferences and tell it not to access the card. Sounds simple, but the card doesn't show up and drag & drop doesn't work.

Anyone have a solution?
    05-29-08 07:24 PM
    Hey All,

I have used Macs my entire life (from the Classic Mac OS thru Leopard) and I am new to the whole BB World.

I just recently became a BlackBerry Curve owner and I love the device. I did a lot of research before getting the device and one of the things I looked into was the compatibility with my Mac.

PocketMac is horrible and Missing Sync is not FREE. And BOTH of these pieces of software do not do their job correctly.

I would recommend just considering VMWare (or Parralels) and creating a base install of Windows with BB Manager software to sync all of your information.

This is what I have been doing, at least for backups of my phone and for syncing media using the Media Manager.

I know this is kind of a round-about way of getting things done and most people like to stick to the native OS, believe me I feel the same. As much as I feel that way, some things just are not fully compatible. I had to turn to installing a virtual Windows Machine, but now I can sync my device without headaches.
    06-03-08 10:38 AM
    Actually I run Parallels with WinXP Home and have the BB Desktop Mgr running. I have chosen not to run Outlook 2007 its just easier to keep it on the MAC side.

I have been planning on a BES move to support my email, contacts and calendar via Exchange Server but haven't made that move yet. Now with BB Desktop Mgr 4.6 coming that will support iTunes this would pretty much make MS for BB unnecessary.

So while I am partly there I have been waiting for the BB Bold and BES 4.1SP5 to be on the BES provider of choice.
    06-03-08 11:44 AM
    yeah. I am looking forward to a new release of Desktop Manager as well.

I am REALLY looking forward to the day Desktop Manager is a natively supported app for OSX!! But who knows when that day might be... so I am not getting my hopes up for anything.
    06-03-08 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD