I am using a blackberry Storm with the pre-installed 8gb card and desktop manager for mac. I opened up the card in Finder to clear it out and move some files so that it would be clean for an itunes playlist sync. I emptied the trash when i was done. Finder reported about 7.93 gb free, I can understand this. On the phone, under memory, it says its a 7.3gb capacity card with 7.3gb free. Again, I can deal with this. When i connect the phone to the desktop manager, it's reported at a 7.4gb card. BUT, it says 670MB are already used so I only have 6.7gb available?! Where/What is using all this space?
    10-13-09 09:13 AM
    Do you have a program to see invisible files on your mac?

like this or or this
    10-13-09 10:09 AM
    I think I'll try out that first one when I get home this afternoon. But, I can't imagine what invisible files would be eating up 670MB on the memory card.
    10-13-09 10:43 AM
    8gb memory cards are not actually 8gb. Same thing for things such as 1TB. They actually DO NOT have 1 TB of space. I believe an 8gb card actually only has 7.4gb of space.

So basically like someone said above you must have a ghost file. I was just clearing up the confusion if you weren't sure why an 8gb card only has 7.4.
    Last edited by Brockmant; 10-13-09 at 04:01 PM.
    10-13-09 03:58 PM
    8gb memory cards are not actually 8gb. Same thing for things such as 1TB. They actually DO NOT have 1 TB of space. I believe an 8gb card actually only has 7.4gb of space.

So basically like someone said above you must have a ghost file. I was just clearing up the confusion if you weren't sure why an 8gb card only has 7.4.
    Actually this depends on the standard for measurement. Mac Snow leopard just changed their standard see here for more
    10-13-09 05:26 PM
    I dropped 8gig in my Curve, had 7.5 of usable space registered after formatting. That's about what I've seen on average from others, so it's not abnormal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 06:50 PM
    I got the whole 7.4 gb thing from the beginning. I figured out what the problem was. By default the program is set to reserve 10% of memory as free space... killed that and now there's only like 1.2MB in hidden files. So, I've got what I should have now and I can sync my iTunes playlist without trimming more songs

But, I'm keeping that invisibliX app around, could be useful.
    10-13-09 10:12 PM
    Statman said, Actually this depends on the standard for measurement. Mac Snow leopard just changed their standard

Might you be (or be related to) the great Andy Statman, once of Breakfast Special and Country Cooking, now of Klezmer fame? If so, when are you and Tony and Kenny and Roger and Jim and Stacy going to do some more gigs? It's been over 30 years. I'm waiting.

If not, might you know why I can't receive packets with TetherBerry on my SnowLeopard CoreDuo Macbook? It sends but won't receive. Getting this working is harder than figuring out the mandolin tuning Andy Statman used on Banjo Signal with Tony Trischka.

Oh, it's me, the guy who went to festivals and mixed sound for you on summer vacations from optometry school, Mark Sukoenig
    eyedocmark at gmail dot com
    or just plain eyedocmark dot com
    10-13-09 11:10 PM
    not me..I'm actually a statistician...LOL no experience with tetherberry either, sorry...have you resent service books lately?
    10-13-09 11:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD