I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but if you search around on the web it's pretty wide spread. I've had my macbook pro for just over 2 1/2 years now and up until now have had no luck with getting apple to do anything about it. 3 months after I got the computer it already looked pretty disgusting in the key board area and I couldn't believe that my brand new shiny $2,000 laptop was doing this.

At any rate today I had my 4th power cord die on me from the wire fraying and breaking near the end that plugs into the computer and decided to try giving apple **** about it, because I'm tired of buying new cords and in the past they've refused to replace those too.

Instead of calling applecare, I made an appointment and went in to the local apple store. I had no problems getting both the cord and the marred area on my computer replaced (which i've been told is a $750 dollar part as the entire keyboard area is one piece.) I finally feel like I've gotten the service out of apple that I should have been receiving all along and just wanted to share in case any of you have had either of these problems.

Keep trying and go in store, don't bother with the phone call. Just to state though, I am still under applecare until october. This probably won't work if your out of warranty.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but hopefully some of you guys will find this useful or encouraging!
    06-23-10 09:27 PM
    I've had Mac laptops for years and I've always had fantastic service with Apple. I remember when I had one of the 12" iBooks and the MacBooks had just come out. The speakers stopped working so I sent it back for repair. I got it back with the same issue, called AppleCare and they sent me a new MacBook. After about a year that MacBook had gone through two hard drives and a logic board and fans so they replaced the laptop again and I've had no issues with it since. Thats what I'm using now actually.

I also had to send my iPod back for repair once a few years back and DHL (when they were still in the US) lost it and even though it wasn't their fault Apple sent me out a new one.

Apple, like every company, isn't perfect and sometimes it takes a little extra effort to get something done.
    06-24-10 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD