Hi Everyone,

Is the mac your only computer? If the answer is yes, how do you handle BB issues such as backups or more importantly, malfunctions, which require some type of recovery and restore operation? I'm almost ready to purchase a BB Pearl from Verizon but want to know what my options are.

Thanks for the help, this is a terrific group.
    12-30-07 05:30 PM
    I only have a Mac at home but have access to Windows computer at work. My IT department gave me permission to install DM and use my work computer to install updates and such. But, you can use something like BootCamp to have Windows running on your Mac and use DM on your Mac.
    01-02-08 11:32 AM
    Basically there are just some things that you have to use a PC for when it comes to the BB, like backing up databases (not just syncing) and doing upgrades of the software on the phone. No two ways around it.
    01-02-08 03:27 PM
    My Mac is my only computer at home but I backup my BB at work on my PC.
    01-03-08 08:38 AM
    no, besides my powerbook, i have a desktop pc.
    01-03-08 12:27 PM
    I am completely Mac at home. My company's portal is done in Microsoft Sharepoint which only works well with Internet Explorer. I installed Boot Camp and windows vista on my Mac Book Pro to use with Sharepoint and Desk Top Manager for my backups, installs etc. To transfer pictures etc. all you need is a USB cable and memory card in your BB and it shows up in the finder like a thumb drive.
    01-03-08 01:40 PM
    yeah it is but i have boot camp and have xp on my macbook as well
    01-06-08 11:41 AM
    yeah it is but i have boot camp and have xp on my macbook as well
    I'm a big fan of Macs because I'm able to get stuff from circa 2000 running pretty smoothly (my primary home Mac is a Dual G4 500 Mhz machine with an upgraded video card that I pulled from a non functioning Quicksilver G4 with a gig of RAM, runs 10.4 like butter and unless it's got some sort of encoding job, it does everything just as quickly as my Core 2 Duo Mac at work for day to day stuff). But that does mean that running Windows is out of the question.
    01-07-08 10:51 AM
    I only have a mac. My hubby has a pc for work and I'm going to see if he can add another phone into his desktop manager. Do any of you know if this may work?
    01-16-08 08:50 AM
    I only have a mac at home but have XP via parallels on it and Vista on bootcamp.. so never too far away from windoze..

also use windoze at work
    01-16-08 05:40 PM
    I have nothing but macs and i use pocketmac to sync and stuff. I have an old dell winpc that i TRIED to install the BB DM but it was missing the install file or something so gave up on it. But as far as backing up i havent really considered backing it up since it syncs to my mac. All my contacts and calendar stuff are still on the mac and all i would have to do is tell PMac to overwrite everything on the BB from the mac. Pictures, music, and ringtones are saved on my MCard so that aint a real issuce. Other than that i havent really worried about back ups. The one time i did a hard reset i put back like i explained previously and just re-downloaded all the programs (cheapo only have free ones). POCKETMAC for BB
    01-17-08 09:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD