Hi, I got the Storm 3 weeks ago. I am very much interested in installing 109 or 114 but the file is a self-extracting EXE file. This file format is not recognized on a Mac.

My other choice was to install it thru Windows 7, which I'm running in VM however, I just read about NOT doing this because of a bug in Win 7.

Does anybody have any suggestions for us Mac users?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce
    03-11-09 05:47 PM
    I dont think its all that difficult to bootcamp xp on your mac. Thats what i have been doing.
    03-11-09 05:49 PM
    Vmware or Boot Camp
    03-11-09 05:49 PM
    Yes, same suggestion I always make. VMWare Fusion ($60) and a copy of XP Pro and you're golden.
    03-11-09 05:50 PM
    Mac users aren't really being left behind per se- these aren't official RIM releases, they're leaks.
    03-11-09 07:26 PM
    When havent mac users been left behind...lawl

Oh wait, this isn't an Apple bashing thread?
    Bootcamp and be done with it
    03-11-09 07:31 PM
    So in other words, you can't use any of the updates without installing a windows product on our Macs?
    04-06-09 07:38 PM
    you got it...IMO vmware fusion works best.
    04-06-09 07:40 PM
    Hi, I got the Storm 3 weeks ago. I am very much interested in installing 109 or 114 but the file is a self-extracting EXE file. This file format is not recognized on a Mac.

My other choice was to install it thru Windows 7, which I'm running in VM however, I just read about NOT doing this because of a bug in Win 7.

Thanks,

Bruce
    just buy a pc.

Now your in a club that is surrounded by computer users, and say farewell to the "I'm 23 have a goatee and am whistfully typing on my macbook in a coffee shop", club.
    04-06-09 07:48 PM
    We are all being left behind by verizon,, anyone get there OS upgrade???
    I didn't think so....

take that to the bank!!
    04-06-09 07:54 PM
    Apples and i phones are for kids its time to upgrade.
    04-06-09 09:11 PM
    So in other words, you can't use any of the updates without installing a windows product on our Macs?
    That is unless it is an official release. You can get the official over the air and no computer is required.
    04-06-09 09:46 PM
    RIM is screwing you over because you support a product of the makers of the Iphone...

Surely you have a friend with a PC that would let you upgrade on...
    04-07-09 06:49 AM
    If I ever feel like upgrading something, I just download Desktop Manager onto someone's PC. Then again, RIM should just release a Mac supported DM since so many of us use a Mac. Good thing I don't use DM often. I'll just wait for the OTA OS announcement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-09 07:03 AM
    I got news for ya..with all these new product rumors, including a storm 2( and we all know it's coming...)...

forget mac users.....Storm owners are being left behind...
    04-07-09 07:11 AM
    I got news for ya..with all these new product rumors, including a storm 2( and we all know it's coming...)...

forget mac users.....Storm owners are being left behind...
    Go back to your Samsung forums to troll.

To the OP: from what I've read, there's a Mac version of DM in the works, but for now you're going to have to install windows through bootcamp to do your beta-os tasks. You can use windows 7, as it seems as if a workaround for the bug has been found (search the Beta OS forum threads).

As for RIM leaving Mac users behind, I don't know if that's the case. They've provided a method for you to receive official updates. Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake.
    04-07-09 10:37 AM

Thanks,

Bruce
    BootCamp dude... sorry its how it is..
    04-07-09 10:40 AM
    You can use Boot Camp or VMFusion, but how easy is it to get your hands on a genuine copy of Windows XP these days? I could only find Vista.
    04-07-09 10:50 AM
    You can use Boot Camp or VMFusion, but how easy is it to get your hands on a genuine copy of Windows XP these days? I could only find Vista.
    Newegg.com - windows xp
    04-07-09 11:44 AM
    not that difficult to find xp to be honest.
    04-07-09 12:34 PM
    That is unless it is an official release. You can get the official over the air and no computer is required.
    But does OTA reinstall the languages that were deleted? Specifically Spanish. Thanks.
    05-04-09 07:19 PM
    Then again, RIM should just release a Mac supported DM since so many of us use a Mac. Good thing I don't use DM often. I'll just wait for the OTA OS announcement.

Yep, I totally agree. +1

Also, if your entire calendar and contacts are on your Mac, there's no way to do any syncing of those through Windows, only through 3rd party apps that DON'T work properly - believe me, I've been through all of them, and they're cr*p.
    Last edited by StormDiva; 05-04-09 at 07:31 PM.
    05-04-09 07:28 PM
    I use windows xp on bootcamp and it works like a charm. You can download windows from a torrent site and bootcamp is already on your Mac. As far as third part sync software, googles sync for calendar and contacts works perfectly for me and has made me love this phone I doubt Macs will get any love any time soon.

05-04-09 07:37 PM
    +1 for VMWare =)
    05-04-09 07:48 PM
    VMWare Fusion works great ... just make sure that if you're running Missing Sync that you kill off all Missing Sync processes (run 'ps ax | grep Missing' from the Terminal and kill each of the PIDs listed or use Activity Monitor) ... otherwise your vm won't be able to attach to the BB via USB
    05-04-09 08:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD