Hi All, I have kind of a new mac user, and I was wondering if a Verizon Blackberry Curve is right for me.

I would use the curve for emailing, messaging, web surfing, and maps. I would not listen to music much because I have an Ipod nano for that. Can the BB Curve play .aac and .mp3 songs?

But most importaintly, is the curve good for watching Xvid movies? I use my Ipod Nano to watch tv shows and if the curve can do that and work well with my mac, that would be awesome.

Or should I wait for the Blackberry Storm?

Or just give in to apple and get an IPhone? (with AT&T YUCK!)
    09-18-08 12:44 AM
    I've got several Macs, and ditched my iPhone a few weeks ago for a Verizon Curve. I love it. (was a Verizon user for years until I switched to ATT for the iPhone; SO glad to be back on VZW).

I have a hosted BES service for email, and as for music, yesterday, I installed the Blackberry desktop along with the Blackberry music manager into Windows XP running in VMWare on my Macbook Pro, and was able to sync my music and playlists directly from iTunes on my Mac into my Curve. I also have a Nano that I bought right after I sold my iPhone, but now I don't know how much I'll even use it, since the Curve can duplicate much of it's functionality. I used Handbrake to convert video for iTunes/iPhone/iPod, and it works great for the Curve as well.
    Last edited by Sonicjay; 09-18-08 at 08:28 AM.
    09-18-08 08:22 AM
    I have boot camp on my mac, so i guess i could use that,
    so is the blackberry software not as good on mac as it is on windows?
    I use handbreak too, but how good is the video quality on the Blackberry curve?
    09-18-08 11:07 AM
    I have an iMac but the bb software is only Windows based. I purchased Missing Sync and it syncs my iTunes, iCal, and contacts no problem. I also use Boot Camp/VMFusion to back up my berry, just in case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-08 11:15 AM
    Thanks guys!
    Last edited by ravenzero; 09-18-08 at 12:19 PM.
    09-18-08 12:09 PM
    I guess I don't understand what I need to do to get apps on my blackberry curve since I have a MAC. The lady at the store told me to go to this website to convert to MAC (whatever that means). Do I have to purchase a windows app to do any of this? Please help as I am not very computer savy..thank you
    03-31-09 08:45 PM
    after you go bb u can try vista x) microsoft ftw...?
    03-31-09 09:03 PM
    I guess I don't understand what I need to do to get apps on my blackberry curve since I have a MAC. The lady at the store told me to go to this website to convert to MAC (whatever that means). Do I have to purchase a windows app to do any of this? Please help as I am not very computer savy..thank you
    You need to check out the 101 lecture series. Most of your questions can be answered there...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...lecture+series

Then go here for a list of popular app downloads...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/wha...download+links
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...download+links
    03-31-09 09:08 PM
    so is the blackberry software not as good on mac as it is on windows?
    LMAO! er you could say that, there is no official blackberry desktop software for mac.

You say you have boot camp. I have just installed a windows partition which works fine with my berry.

Good luck!
    04-01-09 09:05 AM
    I prefer not to allow win dos on my Mac. This means I run Missing Sync. If I decide to update my OS, I must resort to borrowing a windows box.
    04-01-09 12:31 PM
    I'm going with the iPhone. I switched to AT&T for the iPhone and it was the best user experience of any phone I've ever used. And I compare AT&T's customer service favorably with VZ's in my experience, if not the coverage areas. The only reason I switched back to VZ is because I moved out of AT&T coverage. Stupid North Dakota. BB's in general are just a headache to use with Mac and Rim doesn't seem to give a crap about Mac users. If VZ ever get's the iPhone or I move back to AT&T coverage, I'll go back to the iPhone in a heartbeat. The Storm isn't a bad phone, and will get better, but unless you need a BB for business purposes, I'd go iPhone, especially if you use a Mac.
    04-01-09 08:13 PM
    Hi All, I have kind of a new mac user, and I was wondering if a Verizon Blackberry Curve is right for me.

I would use the curve for emailing, messaging, web surfing, and maps. I would not listen to music much because I have an Ipod nano for that. Can the BB Curve play .aac and .mp3 songs?

But most importaintly, is the curve good for watching Xvid movies? I use my Ipod Nano to watch tv shows and if the curve can do that and work well with my mac, that would be awesome.

Or should I wait for the Blackberry Storm?

Or just give in to apple and get an IPhone? (with AT&T YUCK!)
    Stay away from Verizon, if you can. Much of the functionality is locked down by the carrier. I know that's the only legit place to get a Storm, but I've got a few friends who want to use their GPS, and certain syncing apps that just don't work with Verizon's draconian rules.
    04-02-09 10:53 AM
    I use pocketmac and it works well for syncing all my stuff. If I need to update an OS I use a friend's windows
    04-03-09 04:10 PM
    This syncing issue with the storm has made me miss my iPhone so much its sick.
    04-03-09 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD