I am a long time Mac user and I am thinking of buying a Blackberry. My concern is that BBs seem to be built for the corporate windows world and so I will have compatibility issues, poor technical support etc.

How good is Missing sync? Currently, I don't bother with Address Book and use Daylite for contacts. I am a paper calendar guy, so calendar synching doesn't matter.

I do have 2 hosted IMAP servers and would like IMAP functionality on a pda phone. How close does Blackberry get to true IMAP support? If it matters, I use Thunderbird on my Powerbook, because Mail did all kinds of funky things with my IMAP server.

Thanks.
    06-07-08 09:11 AM
    I have the same delima. I use a Mac and a Curve. I use Missing sync and have called them twice and paid for the premium support and it works fine for a while but then something happens and it won't work correctly again. I am going to have to make a decision as to whether I am going to have to go with the iPhone just so that I can continue using my Mac to get things synced right. I have to sync with contacts and calendar as I have 1000 customer base that I have to take with me on the road as I am a road salesman. WOW what a plight. I really really hate the thought of giving up my Curve but work comes first. If anyone has any suggestions please speak up.
    Last edited by davidlw; 06-07-08 at 10:03 AM.
    06-07-08 10:00 AM
    Ok, here's my experience. I was using a windows pc for business and a mac for personal. I was using a 8700r on the pc until I got a new macbook pro. Pocketmac didn't work for me on my first day of getting the macbook pro. Support sucked. Gave the trial version of Missing Sync a try and it worked every time. I bought it and it still works great. Very fast syncs. Picked up a 8330, plugged it in and all the info transferred. No issues.

If you don't need to sync calendars, etc, then not sure why you need to use anything. Get yourself a memory card in the blackberry and use mass storage when you connect to a computer to transfer any files. No need for third party software.
    06-07-08 10:09 AM
    Serpico, I do need to sync my 1000 customer base and contacts. Maybe I just need to call Missing sync back for a follow up call. It did work at first, maybe something got corrupted. I wish that you could just email them and get answers.
    06-07-08 10:18 AM
    OK just left email with Missing Sync to ask if they would call me regarding my problem. I hope that they will honor the paid Premium Support that I bought the other day the first time.
    06-07-08 10:35 AM
    Sorry my post was directed to the original poster.
    06-07-08 10:41 AM
    I do want to sync my contacts in Daylite to the blackberry. So, I would synch daylite to addressbook and address book via missing sync to the blackberry, hence, missing sync reliability is a question.

If I only get so so Imap syncing with blackberry, what real world problems does that create?
    06-07-08 10:50 AM
    I do not have 100 contacts but i use pocketmac to sync my ICal and load themes onto my pearl with no issues. PocketMac is free and i would suggest you try that before purchasing missing sync. A few issues with macs and blackberry...

*you cannot update the device OS on a mac. You can only do this with desktop manager(DM) and it is only for Windows devices

* you cannot do a full backup of your blackberry - this can only be done through DM as well

*many mac users have problems having their memory card "mount" on their desktop. I have been unsuccessful at this as well, and i have purchased a USB card reader that i carry in my pocketbook and it works just fine

hmm, if i can think of anything else i will post back
    06-07-08 10:51 AM
    I don't have any of the issues people experience. My BB syncs with Entourage 2004, I set the default to Yes for mass storage. You have to be sure to install the updated driver for pocketmac then restart the computer. Connect your BB first then open pocketmac, set your settings and sync.
    06-07-08 11:32 AM
    I use PCs but my personal machine is a MacBook. I haven't been able to connect my BB with my MacBook Wish I could!
    06-07-08 05:10 PM
    Entourage 2008 is a horse of a different color so I have been told.
    06-07-08 05:44 PM
    Here's a work around for Entourage 2008 until pocketmac updates their software or RIM releases DTM for we Mac users!
    06-07-08 07:41 PM
    I'd say go for it. You will be happy even though you will just miss out on what has been said above. But I'm sure if absolutely necessary to update OS all of us mac users can get a hold of a PC sooner or later.
    06-08-08 01:45 AM
    One thing to be sure to do when you download pocketmac is to download the updated driver just below the PM download or you're going to have problems. Also restart your Mac, set the mass storage default to yes, now connect your BB and open PM, set your PM settings and sync.

PM is very temperamental on the first use, if you follow the steps you should (notice I said should) be error free.
    06-08-08 12:21 PM
    I have used MissingSync for over a year now and never had any issues with it syncing my address book or contacts. Also my Curve mounts on my desktop as soon as I plug it in. I tried pocketmac, but it would never sync correctly.

With the BIS account you can configure up to 10 different emails, including IMAP. You won't get instant notification, but you will get your emails on your bb.
    06-29-08 10:34 PM
    The other thing you can do is run bootcamp on your mac put windows xp or vista on there partition your hard drive and use the windows side just for your blackberry. I have a macbook and that is what i do. my windows side is just for syncing my blackberry and has everything i need on it.
    06-30-08 02:43 AM
    I have used MissingSync for over a year now and never had any issues with it syncing my address book or contacts. Also my Curve mounts on my desktop as soon as I plug it in. I tried pocketmac, but it would never sync correctly.

Exactly the same for me.

Pocketmac was awful for me never synced properly. Had to pay out for missing sync which works perfectly.

I am sure in the future there will be DTM for mac but who knows when.

06-30-08 03:04 AM
    Buy the BB, Its so simple and easy to use. .MAC works great on the BB, and iCAL syncs up perfectly. Entourage/Address book also are easy to change and upload. When it comes down to installing new apps and programs, just use bootcamp and get a ver. of XP on another partition on the mac just for those few files. other then that, no issues at all.

Good Luck!
    06-30-08 04:44 PM
    I have a Pearl, and an iBook. I purchased Missin sync, had quite a time getting it to sync the first couple of times, but seems to be OK now.
    I've resorted to a soft reset of the BB, and a restart of the Mac before synching though.
    07-03-08 11:59 AM
    Hi there, I am new to the forum so sorry if this is not being placed in the right area. I am with Verizon and thinking of purchasing a pearl 8130 as my contract is coming to an end this month.

My question is this: I will be a heavy texter, love the fact that I can sync Outlook to it for the calendar, will use Internet and E-mail will not be corporate just my Yahoo. I know there are some memory problems since it only comes with 64mb, but I am pretty good at deleting my texts at the end of the day anyway. Will this still be a problem ? Is the pearl a good choice ? I am coming from a regular cell phone and use T9 so the Suretype does not scare me. Any advice would be helpful, thanks in advance !
    07-14-08 02:24 PM
    the only problem i've ever encountered is that you can't upgrade bb operating systems as a mac user...which is kind of annoying and unnecessary. almost (almost!) makes me want to go iphone!
    07-22-08 12:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD