10-07-08 12:09 PM
    Cant view it, BGR takes forever to load!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-08 12:13 PM
    check out

BlackBerry: RIM Finally Realizes BlackBerry Users Might Own a Mac

for temporary relief, there are more pictures on BGR once it gets up again
    10-07-08 12:15 PM
    check out

check out

whoa i don't know what happened there can someone fix please
    10-07-08 12:18 PM
    hm....I suppose media sync is better than nothing, but, it's still craptastically weak, I want a way to do a real backup and to re-load the OS from my mac without having to jack with vmware
    10-07-08 04:27 PM
    Back to dual boot for me... nothing to see here people.. nothing to see.
    10-07-08 07:43 PM
    This was an article I found after reading the frontpage news. (Hope it links properly). http://mobile.pcworld.com/htmlsite/h...c_support.html

According to the article, Mac support has been "on the radar since 2004" for RIM- sheesh.
    Sometime in 2009 is better than nothing for improved connectivity I suppose - but still, kind of a wait wouldn't you say?

I'm totally anticipating the new Storm to be a fantastic piece of hardware, if it's everything they say it is. Having a better way for the BlackBerry to connect with Apple hardware would be welcome to me as a Mac owner myself.

I went with the BB Curve because it's everything I was looking for in a true smartphone/PDA for business & pleasure - but the one thing I DID like about the iPhone was how easily it mated with Macintosh applications.

If RIM could get us a little closer on the Mac side to being able to do what PC owners have enjoyed about their BlackBerrys for years now, I'd be happier, certainly.
    10-07-08 09:53 PM
    well the media sync is definatly a right step in the right direction, and im sure if they are working on media sync they are most definatly working on calendar, address book sync and others.
    10-08-08 05:04 AM
    Is the media sync available now?
    10-08-08 07:24 AM
    NFLBlitze1, **SYNC** isn't the problem, there are solutions for that already, and it isn't what RIM needs to be finally getting off of their collective arse and fixing for the OSX users, **BACKUP** and **OS INSTALL/REINSTALL** are the features that mac users have no means to do without using a windows machine or windows installation to do, if they're working on their own app that'll sync to everything like pocketmac and missing sync do, great, but, frankly I don't care, they need to be working on a real desktop manager instead of trying to do the "ooh look, we're supporting mac users, we made them a media sync app and we paid off pocketmac so they can have it free too"
    10-08-08 01:54 PM
    well said, the thought of updating the blackberry and backing it up didn't come to my mind because i run parallels on my mac with coherence so issues like that didn't come to mind, i think tho, that RIM after they release these syncing abilities will realize the true demand from mac users and will start working on such a thing but until then im not sure.
    10-08-08 02:56 PM
    oh I run VMWare on mine too but, the problem I've run into on VMWare is it takes 2-3 tries to get it to do an OS load, because it doesn't KEEP the device attached to the VM when it shuts off and starts to boot up, so when it's looking for the boot rom, it's not grabbing it fast enough....
    10-08-08 03:50 PM
    How about a program that you can use to put the newest OS on your bb.
    10-11-08 07:35 PM
    oh I run VMWare on mine too but, the problem I've run into on VMWare is it takes 2-3 tries to get it to do an OS load, because it doesn't KEEP the device attached to the VM when it shuts off and starts to boot up, so when it's looking for the boot rom, it's not grabbing it fast enough....
    are you using VM 2.0 ? i didnt have any issues like that.
    10-15-08 08:36 PM
    eh, nope, apparantly 1.1.1.....bet that might have a bit to do with it
    10-16-08 10:04 AM
    Here's the deal. Pocketmac has driver updates available through blackberry.com to fix compatibility issues w/ the storm + bold. If you didn't know this software was out there, well it is. Here's why it's better than the software mentioned in this thread:
    1) It allows you to transfer both EVERYTHING from your mac to your Storm
    -not just music and videos but iCal, address book, etc...
    2) This other sync (mentioned in thread) you can use only one or the other. When you download and and go to install it you'll receive a prompt advising that if you continue with installation than your pocketmac will be useless.
    3) Why not use pocketmac which allows you to transfer everything not just media? You get the option to choose playlists, etc... just like the mediasync deal seen here...
    4) I get all the pictures from iPhoto and view them perfect!

The bad: Well the first time you sync a lot of music or videos or ever change it then the sync can take about 5 minutes or so.

You can save your bookmarks but it gives you an icon seperate from your browser and it copies the entire address (very lengthy) and hard to browse through...but at least you can get it somehow

iTunes 8 supposedly removes RDM but I still can't play their music videos on the storm...not sure where the compatibility issue is now...

Conclusion: This new Storm has a big compatibility issue with macs. It's because it's new especially to blackberry. Before I had the Curve 8330 and compatibility with my macbook was never an issue!

I am waiting for a future release of the new OS (hopefully soon) and I'm sure by mid-year we'll see most of compatibility issues from macs to google maps be fixed.

In the meantime if you're struggling deciding whether to buy the iphone or macbook... if you're a mac user and you want a touch screen I'd get a iPhone. Blackberrys are awsome but when it comes to this league of touchscreen the iPhone right now is the way to go.

Personally I would hold off on either because I'd wait to see how the blackberry does after the next upgrade OS and wait because I'm sure iPhone will release a new 32GB about the same time the Storm is fixed.

If you go with the Bold or new Curve that's a whole other story. I believe Blackberry is the BEST choice of any smartphone except for the Storm (yet)... I am pretty sure the 2nd gen Storm will be flawless

But the iPhone is 2 gen's ahead in the game and for mac owners it's the perfect choice because of compatibility

As far as the cell providers go unless your a business owner then there's really no difference...it's true

Verizon & AT&T have the best coverage for their technology. I've owned the Storm and the iPhone and NEVER have I received 3G coverage on either no matter where I travel to!!! It's either Edge or 1XME....if it were 3G it would say 3G according to the owner's manual anyways

I am almost switching back to at&t for the iPhone. Because it's way more compatible plus the app store is amazing. But I am going to wait for the 32G...not that I want it but I'm sure the price of the 16GB will go down to $200 with a new account and the 32GB should be $300

Also the apple customer support is amazing! And you can extend after your first year and all.

Mobileme is outstanding!

Last point...Blackberry is always a better choice for business owners as of now...the iPhone is more of a personal use/fun phone
    02-01-09 11:11 PM
    HOLY thread drudge.

um ya.

so BB is not OS X friendly. awesome post though.
    02-02-09 02:23 AM
    Here's the deal. Pocketmac has driver updates available through blackberry.com to fix compatibility issues w/ the storm + bold. If you didn't know this software was out there, well it is. Here's why it's better than the software mentioned in this thread:
    1) It allows you to transfer both EVERYTHING from your mac to your Storm
    -not just music and videos but iCal, address book, etc...
    2) This other sync (mentioned in thread) you can use only one or the other. When you download and and go to install it you'll receive a prompt advising that if you continue with installation than your pocketmac will be useless.
    3) Why not use pocketmac which allows you to transfer everything not just media? You get the option to choose playlists, etc... just like the mediasync deal seen here...
    4) I get all the pictures from iPhoto and view them perfect!

The bad: Well the first time you sync a lot of music or videos or ever change it then the sync can take about 5 minutes or so.
    be it as it may, the thread was about RIM finally getting off of their tail and making their OWN software support for the mac, which, in the case of media management, is a first, windows users get plagued by crappy roxio software.....

You can save your bookmarks but it gives you an icon seperate from your browser and it copies the entire address (very lengthy) and hard to browse through...but at least you can get it somehow
    you expected it to condense bookmarks into something like "whatever.com/here" when it was "whatever.com/this/there/product.asp?id=ro8fud75476ytfhtrdkbligdsi76fasdfbs dfasdfiuytavsdfliausdfaksdfvaisuydtvfasdifugh"

yeah, not gonna happen, maybe just not display the whole thing, but, since the bookmark manager doesn't work for anything but the internal browser, that "showing the whole address" is handy if you use bolt or opera....

iTunes 8 supposedly removes RDM but I still can't play their music videos on the storm...not sure where the compatibility issue is now...
    not true at all, they now have moved all iTunes music to iTunes Plus, being higher bitrate and un-DRM'd music, so if you're buying anything new, it's use it anywhere, and if you drop the 0.30/song they'll upgrade you to the higher quality non-drm version of what you've already bought, but the videos are likely to remain DRM'd due to piracy worries, if itunes was selling un-drm'd video, you'd find them all over the net and then apple would get blamed for people doing illegal stuff.

Conclusion: This new Storm has a big compatibility issue with macs. It's because it's new especially to blackberry. Before I had the Curve 8330 and compatibility with my macbook was never an issue!
    nope, it doesn't, no less compatibility than any other blackberry.

In the meantime if you're struggling deciding whether to buy the iphone or macbook... if you're a mac user and you want a touch screen I'd get a iPhone. Blackberrys are awsome but when it comes to this league of touchscreen the iPhone right now is the way to go.
    I'm guessing you meant to say iphone or storm, but, again, the original point of the thread is that there's now OFFICIAL RIM SOFTWARE FOR MAC, it's not a debate thread on storms for mac users...

As far as the cell providers go unless your a business owner then there's really no difference...it's true
    wow, I think if I had to pick one line in your whole post, that SCREAMS out to be called out, it's that one....

lets see, reasons that which carrier matters.....
    A. which carrier has the BB that you want? (If multiple carriers have the same phones, which carriers offer which features on the exact same device the 8330 is on many carriers and each of them has different capabilities with the phone due to what the carrier is set up to support on it)
    B. which carrier's pricing and plan offering best suits your needs?
    C. which carrier's coverage, both voice, and data, suits your needs?
    D. which carrier's CUSTOMER SERVICE/SUPPORT best suits your needs? (many people will accept more flaws in the system and be considerably more forgiving when the customer service is good and you're taken care of instead of given attitude when something pops up)
    E. what carrier do your friends/family have, and does that carrier offer free mobile to mobile?

that's only 5 reasons, which, make a LOT of difference as to what carrier you choose, as a non-business customer, there are considerably more, but, I don't feel like testing the character limit in posting.

I'm just gonna end it there.....instead of commenting at the rest of your little rant, if you want to debate storm vs iphone, start a thread for it, and experienced storm owners will ring in for you and you'll get a good debate.
    Last edited by dhyde79; 02-02-09 at 07:12 AM.
    02-02-09 07:03 AM
    This only the media sync. This really does not help us with installing programs and such. Search the forums there has already been a post in regards to this.
    02-04-09 08:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD