03-28-09 10:35 PM
38 12
tools
    Now ditch the pos pc and come over to the bootcamp side. i haven't tried vmware or parallels, but bootcamp works just like windows, because it is windows. Sure some things are different if you're running it on a macbook (right clicks are tricky, and you have to keep remembering to press control instead of command for shortcuts), but it all works itself out

btw, don't forget to install antivirus on the windows side of bootcamp. . . lol
    Can't forget Spybot !
    03-28-09 03:37 PM
    Well i must just be a fack cause I cant find what I read. I am sorry for the misinformation as I have spewed through this thread. Ignore my posts as I am not meaning to be "that guy". I will probably get Bootcamp after a couple months when I move. Sorry OP I didnt mean to create issue in your thread.
    There's nothing to "get"... you have Bootcamp on your OSX disk !
    03-28-09 03:39 PM
    Mac user here. Bootcamp on a MacBook Pro. Running XP Home. This is the only thing I use the Windows partition for (updating OS for 2 Storms). I use Missing Sync for my contacts, tasks, calendar and media syncing. While it's not 100%, it certainly works well and I really have no complaints. I do not sync my Storm using the Windows side because my contacts and calendar are in Mac applications. No problems here whatsoever.
    03-28-09 03:44 PM
    Those people who say buy a $300 pc instead of using boot camp or a VM have had a much different experience than me. My MacBook Pro running XP with Fusion outperforms my work pc with the exact same processor everyday. If my IT dept would allow it, I would turn my pc in and just use my Mac.
    03-28-09 04:02 PM
    i feel your pain.. BB and Mac owner here. one of the reasons I've delayed my Storm purchase is the inability to update the OS freely.. but it'll come.
    03-28-09 04:16 PM
    Sofakingblonde: If you're willing to take the leap...

You CAN use your intel-based mac and update your BB. Just use Bootcamp and a copy of Windows....I work as an onsite consultant and can work and LIVE in both worlds (Mac & PC). Here's how.

On my MacBook Pro I use Bootcamp with a copy of Win Vista...Bootcamp creates a dual-boot system on the mac. I have been upgrading my Storm using DM 4.7 since November...works very well. Upgraded my Storm through all the betas and hybrids...no problems! Bootcamp works beautifully--it comes pre-installed on with your macbookpro. All you have to do is run it in order to install it. Just read your help files...that's what I did.

Bootcamp made it so easy...I decided to split my hard disk between Win and Mac, so it repartitioned my drive, etc. Yes, having to buy yourself a copy of WIN XP or Vista isn't cheap ($89.00 for WinXP Home on Ebay)...but it will solve all your future problems when you need to upgrade your BB or find yourself needing to run WIN-only programs. I totally recommend you make the jump. Waiting for an OTA upgrade of Verizon's next official Storm OS update would be too frustrating for me!

Bottom line: Yes you can update and maintain your BB, just use windows...(don't try to do it natively from within MAC OS). Buying yourself another pc in order to maintain two BB's is at least $300+. Do what I did: I manage my BB from within Vista on my Macbookpro, and then I installed VMware Workstation (a $189 virtual desktop from VmWare) within Vista and can run and maintain my girlfriend's BB...all from ONE Macbookpro!

Good luck.

I have a Mac (hush, I love it). And now I have a Storm (love that too btw). The problem is that they don't go well together. I have been unable to get PocketMac to work after four hours on the phone with both Verizon and BB. And I found out that even after I do get it to work (if that ever happens), it will only work with one BB per computer. In other words, either my husband or I get to have a backed up BB, but not both. I don't think that buying MissingSync will help because I heard that it has it's own problems.
    *SIGH*
    So sad that my two loves have bad chemistry.

I am not willing to partition my Mac and put XP on it just so I can back up my BB. What to do, what to do....
    03-28-09 04:28 PM
    what have we learned today class?

"don't use heresay as an opinion of technology."

correct. if you're going to form an opinion on something, make sure you deal with it first hand. alright, time for recess...
    03-28-09 04:43 PM
    Enable mass storage mode. I was having problems at first too, but this made it work fine.
    03-28-09 06:12 PM
    I'm on the Mac side and use VMware but only for backups and OS installs. In the past I used Missing Sync which kind of worked but later turned out to be incompatible with my Storm. They have a new version but it didn't work for me and I won't begin to talk about PocketMac. So I was totally miserable about not being able to synch until...

I found the perfect answer! Got a provider (4smartphone.net) that specializes in smartphone services (BB, Pocket PC etc.). They have a BB Enterprise Server and it does OTA synchs with my BB. I use Entourage on my desktop and it synchs with my providers email server Exchange. All three of them synch and I don't have to run any troublesome software -- I'm happy as a clam in high tide!!!

Note: The current version of Entourage does not synch notes or tasks -- just email and calendar. I'm part of an Entourage beta test which does include notes and tasks and it works great.
    Last edited by Cracker; 03-28-09 at 08:03 PM.
    03-28-09 07:49 PM
    I had the same trouble on my macbook pro there is a driver compatiblity issue i believe what you have to is search on blackberry website. here is the link to on one of the search i did. look at the different support threads and one of them should help. here is the link BlackBerry Technical Solution Center and type in pocketmac sync trouble and that should do the trick. hopes this helps
    03-28-09 09:49 PM
    I bought a Storm a couple of weeks ago, and I'm syncing it to a Mac with Missing Sync. The contact sync works fine, but I'm having a lot of trouble with the calendar sync. I've been trying to work through it. It's possible that my situation isn't normal, and Missing Sync will work fine out of the box for most people. Just thought I'd mention it.
    03-28-09 10:07 PM
    Mac user as well here, Have used nothing but Vmware Fusion and have not had a single issue loading beta's onto my storm, backing up or anything, Now Parallels is where i have heard most people have there problems when running a VM. I cant say for sure if that is it becuse i have not tried it, but have seen it posted a lot. i would 100% recommend Vmware. I have mine partitioned with bootcamp as well but Vmware works great and i think i have logged onto my bootcamp partition 2 times lol so have been thinking about removing it cuz i dont use it lol
    03-28-09 10:22 PM
    i am on a macbook pro... I use missing sync with bluetooth syncing... works flawlessly. As far as running BB desktop manager I use WMWARE fusion.. works flawlessly.. I have upgraded to several leaked OS's using this setup and have had NO ISSUES...AND... my macbook was and is easier setting up and using the bluetooth modem than any other pc I have ever tried to set up... FYI I was a hardcore pc user for years and have always had nothing but nasty things to say about mac's.. Guess what..... my mind has been changed!
    Last edited by rynoondew; 03-28-09 at 10:37 PM. Reason: bad grammar <<< moron
    03-28-09 10:35 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD