I don't want to re-post the same thread, but this system won't allow me to post a link to another thread.
    So...here it is...

I have been a Palm user for well over 12 years, ever since the first monochrome Palm Pilot! I just switched last week from a Treo 700P to a BB Tour.

I had all my daily calendar, memo, and contact info on the Palm Desktop for Mac. I never used my Palm for e-mail.

I seem to have migrated my contact info over, though I think it is from an older data file. A lot of contacts are missing.

I managed to migrate old calendar information from the Palm Desktop to iCal and then sync'd that with the BB. But it seems to take forever. Seriously, about 10-15 minutes per sync, just for the calendar. My Palm only took 30 seconds to sync all my files, including photos, calendar, contacts and memos.

Not a single memo has been transferred...one of my most important uses for a PDA. Help!?

Surely there must be a desktop program out there for a Mac that does all of this and syncs faster than the BB Desktop Manager. Or am I missing something?

I don't see any way to import files directly from my Mac to my BB. I can connect the BB to my Mac and browse the files on the BB, and even apparently copy a file from my Mac to the BB, but it doesn't show up on the BB.

My Mac: PowerBook G4, 1.7 GHz, Leopard 10.5.8
    BB: Tour, Verizon 9630.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Ed
    10-25-09 02:38 PM
    There are other desktop programs for BB and Mac together, but they aren't sure shots either... There is a free app Pocketmac which is no longer supported by RIM since the release of the BBDM for mac. There is also a paid app The Missingsynch which tends to be rather erratic and IMO not worth the $$. If you're a mac user in the corporate business world, I would presume that you have something like VMWare Fusion for virtual XP or 2000 on your mac... If not, I would suggest acquiring this and then using the DM for pc. The pc version of BBDM has a "device switch" option that would migrate all your old data from your palm to your tour, supposing that you still have your old device... I'm a mac user and don't like the limited options with the BBDMFM so I still use vmware and xp pro to manage my berry. Plus, after you begin to acclimate to your new berry, you will find that it is just easier to update/manipulate your BB OS via a pc, supposing that you a savvy and decide to run OSes from another provider or to run leaked OSes. I make this point because the newer "leaked" OSes offer some interesting features that you might find useful. You will find that there are many friendly people here in the crackberry forums to help you out as you learn your new tour!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-09 07:21 PM
    Thanks for the ideas.
    I tried the PocketMac without success. It won't even "see" the BB...not sure why.
    Looked at MissingSync, but am not sure it will do what I need.
    So now I'm back to re-syncing with BBDM...and it's been 30 minutes so far...what a dog!
    Why is it so hard to transfer simple Palm Notes to a BB???
    Crazy!
    10-25-09 07:53 PM
    I presume the difficulty using bbdmfm is that you're attempting cross-platform data files, palm to BB--similar to trying to sync data between a Mac and a pc... You know, windows doesn't know what to do with a pages extension or vice versa for a .doc unless you have office for mac. I doubt palm and BB both use the same extensions for backups, or have the same file paths, etc. So restoring the data is a chore because the DM is trying to figure out what to do with it and where to put it. But I'm not an expert, that's just my best guess off the cuff.

So, I take it that vmware is not an option for you? Hrmmm, do you have access to a pc anywhere? If so, the "device switch" application in BBDM for pc is going to be your best bet... It will work with devices other than BB and it will transfer the data that is currently on your palm, not use a backup of old data. Perhaps a friend has a pc that you can use for a while and they don't mind you installing the dm for pc if they don't use a berry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-09 08:34 PM
    That's a thought.
    Maybe use the PC to do the data transfer then resume using the Mac if all goes well.
    I shall investigate. I do have an HP laptop I use for astronomy...maybe that will work.
    Onward!

Ed
    10-25-09 08:39 PM
    definitely... here is the link to the software from RIM https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...53789B37D62F27 ... that is the most recent build for a pc, since it won't cost you anything but time to download and install it, i'd use it to get the data transferred and then just go back to the mac... cheers!
    10-25-09 08:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD