Okay this is my ranting.....The forums have been crowded these last few days with all the official updates for The Tour, Bold, Curve and now even the S1. I just want an official release of an update for my S2! Is that asking for too much? Can the OS universe please give us S2 an official release.
    And before anyone says anything, yes I know that there is a leak but being that I have a Mac with no windblows on my system I can't download the link. So this is why I am asking for an official release from the OS universe. I am asking for myself and all others who are feeling left out either by choice of not downloading the leak or not being able to download the leak. Starting to feel a lil left out of the party

Sincerely,
    A S2 /Mac user
    12-19-09 10:43 AM
    What do you want us to say? Seriously?! Like we know EXACTLY why there hasn't been an official OS update? Are we supposed to know when EXACTLY it's coming? This thread is full of fail....
    12-19-09 10:56 AM
    Okay this is my ranting.....The forums have been crowded these last few days with all the official updates for The Tour, Bold, Curve and now even the S1. I just want an official release of an update for my S2! Is that asking for too much? Can the OS universe please give us S2 an official release.
    And before anyone says anything, yes I know that there is a leak but being that I have a Mac with no windblows on my system I can't download the link. So this is why I am asking for an official release from the OS universe. I am asking for myself and all others who are feeling left out either by choice of not downloading the leak or not being able to download the leak. Starting to feel a lil left out of the party

Sincerely,
    A S2 /Mac user
    Well. Okay. The S2 dropped on 10/28. Today is 12/19. So the S2 has been publicly available for approximately 7 weeks. Since there are no mission-critical bugs or problems with the .320 f/w I would surmise that VZW simply isn't in a rush to push a new release simply for the sake of pushing a new release. My guess is that we'll see an official release around February 2010 or so.

In the meantime there are many options. You haven't stated in your post *why* you want/need an official release 7 weeks from launch, so it's difficult to point you in the right direction. What I disliked about .320 was: 1) screen dimming; 2) dynamic icons wouldn't update on the homescreen; 3) No granular control over what mail accounts dump into the main messages folder. Item #1 is resolved, for the most part, in the leaked .428. Item #2 is resolved in around 10 or so .320-based hybrids (same .320 SFI with newer cods mixed in.) Item #2 is also resolved in the leaked .428. Item #3 is resolved in the leaked .428.

I'm strictly a Mac user too - both at the office and at home. However, since I have to integrate with pure Windows environments at clients' places of business I have both Parallels 5.0 w/ Windows 7 Enterprise N on both my iMac and my MBP. Additionally, I've configured BootCamp on both Macs, with XP Pro. With BC it's a snap to flip over to my XP partition, backup with DM, d/l a leak/hybrid/official release and install. Just food for thought, since BC is free and stable. For good measure, of course, I run Trend Micro AV s/w on my VMs and BC partitions. If you have questions about any of that please feel free to PM me.
    12-19-09 11:13 AM
    And before anyone says anything, yes I know that there is a leak but being that I have a Mac with no windblows on my system I can't download the link.
    Windows blows but there is something you want done and can only do it on a windows platform? There's a shocker.
    12-19-09 11:26 AM
    Oh damn. My amazing powers of foresight tell me there's going to be a flamewar/sh*tstorm explosion in this thread. A "Mac vs Windows" argument plus a "Why does RIM/S2 suck so much?" one could potentially combine into a massive flamewar-supercell of epic proportions, the likes of which have never been seen before.

Just calm down guys. We already know Verizon likes to take their time with approving and testing updates, and after the disaster that was the S1 release, they're only going to be even more careful. The current OS actually works, in stark contrast to the S1's release OS which could hardly be argued as such, so Verizon really isn't going to put something out unless they're absolutely certain that there is nothing (or as close to it as possible) wrong with it before releasing.

And as for the Mac vs Windows, I don't know why the OP felt compelled to include that tired, clichd "Winblows" joke (if you can call it one) in his post. It's literally just asking for an argument. This isn't Digg, leave the "my OS is better than your OS" pissing contest at the door please.
    Last edited by Andiamo; 12-19-09 at 11:53 AM.
    12-19-09 11:50 AM
    its still a windows world, you can easily solve all your problems with bootcamp and any version of windows 7, vista, or xp. Its not our fault you want to "stick it to the man" and wont install any of them
    12-19-09 11:55 AM
    borrow a friend or family member's pc?
    12-19-09 12:06 PM
    its still a windows world, you can easily solve all your problems with bootcamp and any version of windows 7, vista, or xp. Its not our fault you want to "stick it to the man" and wont install any of them
    Everytime i hear that "Stick it to the man" phrase I laugh. Dnt ask me why. lol.

But hey guys isn't there like a desktop manager for the mac now..? So why can't he install a leak? Forgive me for being a n00b. I haven't used a mac since iMac wit the see thru monitors.
    Last edited by Jussumguy88; 12-19-09 at 02:05 PM.
    12-19-09 12:16 PM
    i remember that imac oh what a horror
    12-19-09 12:26 PM
    Everytime i hear that "Stick it to the man" phrase I laugh. Dnt ask me why. lol.

But hey guys isn't there like a desktop manager for the mac now..? So why can't he install a leak? Forgive me for being a n00b. I haven't since a mac since iMac wit the see thru monitors.
    Leaks are generally an EXE file only for windows machines. MACS as of now can only get there OSs installs when an official is available thru DM. There are not actually downloadable OS install files for a mac
    12-19-09 12:32 PM
    I edited the title to make it a bit friendlier.
    12-19-09 12:44 PM

Sincerely,
    A S2 /Mac user
    I'm a hardcore Mac user but I keep a Windows machine around just for times like this. It's worth it. I am also running Windows 7 under VMWare Fusion as a virtual machine. For stuff like this I just use the junker Windows machine - it makes things easier.

If that's not an option, I'd also recommend hooking up with a friend. Sounds like a six-pack of beer (or of whatever else he/she enjoys) would be ample compensation.

I'm looking forward to the official release so I can do the real deal from my iMac but for now I'm very happy with the leak. It seems to address a lot of issues.
    12-19-09 01:37 PM
    Leaks are generally an EXE file only for windows machines. MACS as of now can only get there OSs installs when an official is available thru DM. There are not actually downloadable OS install files for a mac
    Right right..makes sinces. What about when we only get the Java files? Would a MAC user be able to use those or no..?
    12-19-09 02:06 PM
    I'm a hardcore Mac user but I keep a Windows machine around just for times like this. It's worth it. I am also running Windows 7 under VMWare Fusion as a virtual machine. For stuff like this I just use the junker Windows machine - it makes things easier.

If that's not an option, I'd also recommend hooking up with a friend. Sounds like a six-pack of beer (or of whatever else he/she enjoys) would be ample compensation.

I'm looking forward to the official release so I can do the real deal from my iMac but for now I'm very happy with the leak. It seems to address a lot of issues.
    Did you install .428 using VMWare? If so, how did you configure USB in the VM so that it takes priority and grabs immediate control of the device's USB connection on device start, as opposed to the host initially controlling?

I successfully upgraded and installed leaks and hybrids on my 9530 using VMWare and using Parallels, but for some reason with the 9550 the install, using loader.exe, times out when it tries to initially initialize the 9550. This is, I'm sure, a function of the host grabbing USB on the device, as opposed to letting the VM take control from startup. If you've managed to upgrade with VMWare on your 9550 I would kill to know how you did so. I ended up installing a BootCamp partition, as I mentioned above. This works okay, but it's far easier as you know to simply open a virtualization program and do it from the host partition. Thanks.
    12-19-09 02:10 PM
    Right right..makes sinces. What about when we only get the Java files? Would a MAC user be able to use those or no..?
    Yes you would. Essentially you'd copy the Java files AND the sfi and paste them over the existing files. There's a detailed thread on this, but I'm sorry I can't locate it right now. If you need it though, a quick search should round it up for you in the Mac forums.
    12-19-09 02:11 PM
    Do you know how to use the internet?? Jesus man, go download a free beta version of Windows 7 from somewhere & use bootcamp (or one of the free virtualization apps) to run it. Or shoot, just download XP from somewhere. They dont even sell it anymore so I'm sure MS wont give a crap anyways if you rip off a 9 year old operating system.

Seriously, this is still a problem with people?? I can see when Macs were PowerPC & locked down, but after Intel & all the ways you can do this.
    12-19-09 02:29 PM
    This strikes me as more of a general question as to why RIM has not gotten their act together on Desktop Manager for Mac, rather than a Storm 2 OS question. It's unfair to pin it on the Storm 2 but it is a legitimate question, and indeed it is what clinched my decision to go Android.
    12-19-09 02:40 PM
    What do you want us to say? Seriously?! Like we know EXACTLY why there hasn't been an official OS update? Are we supposed to know when EXACTLY it's coming? This thread is full of fail....
    Here's a thought..read the content before posting a comment to the thread. I wasn't asking you anything...i was basically ranting. Thank you very much for your little commentary. Have a beautiful day!
    12-19-09 02:52 PM
    Well. Okay. The S2 dropped on 10/28. Today is 12/19. So the S2 has been publicly available for approximately 7 weeks. Since there are no mission-critical bugs or problems with the .320 f/w I would surmise that VZW simply isn't in a rush to push a new release simply for the sake of pushing a new release. My guess is that we'll see an official release around February 2010 or so.

In the meantime there are many options. You haven't stated in your post *why* you want/need an official release 7 weeks from launch, so it's difficult to point you in the right direction. What I disliked about .320 was: 1) screen dimming; 2) dynamic icons wouldn't update on the homescreen; 3) No granular control over what mail accounts dump into the main messages folder. Item #1 is resolved, for the most part, in the leaked .428. Item #2 is resolved in around 10 or so .320-based hybrids (same .320 SFI with newer cods mixed in.) Item #2 is also resolved in the leaked .428. Item #3 is resolved in the leaked .428.

I'm strictly a Mac user too - both at the office and at home. However, since I have to integrate with pure Windows environments at clients' places of business I have both Parallels 5.0 w/ Windows 7 Enterprise N on both my iMac and my MBP. Additionally, I've configured BootCamp on both Macs, with XP Pro. With BC it's a snap to flip over to my XP partition, backup with DM, d/l a leak/hybrid/official release and install. Just food for thought, since BC is free and stable. For good measure, of course, I run Trend Micro AV s/w on my VMs and BC partitions. If you have questions about any of that please feel free to PM me.

Thank you.
    12-19-09 02:55 PM
    Oh damn. My amazing powers of foresight tell me there's going to be a flamewar/sh*tstorm explosion in this thread. A "Mac vs Windows" argument plus a "Why does RIM/S2 suck so much?" one could potentially combine into a massive flamewar-supercell of epic proportions, the likes of which have never been seen before.

Just calm down guys. We already know Verizon likes to take their time with approving and testing updates, and after the disaster that was the S1 release, they're only going to be even more careful. The current OS actually works, in stark contrast to the S1's release OS which could hardly be argued as such, so Verizon really isn't going to put something out unless they're absolutely certain that there is nothing (or as close to it as possible) wrong with it before releasing.

And as for the Mac vs Windows, I don't know why the OP felt compelled to include that tired, clichd "Winblows" joke (if you can call it one) in his post. It's literally just asking for an argument. This isn't Digg, leave the "my OS is better than your OS" pissing contest at the door please.
    This female wasn't trying to start a p**sing contest with anyone. If in this forum you can't say anything without the bs or ridicule then what's the point. Also I wasn't trying to start a Mac vs PC thread. I wasn't trying to start any kind of argument thread. The title of my thread was changed without my knowledge because I think it said "seriously no official release yet" but it was changed to what it is now "to be more friendly" . And as for the "windblows" get over it already..i saw it somewhere on here and thought it was kinda funny so I included it here. Forgive me for using something you consider tired and cliche. Have a beautiful day
    12-19-09 03:01 PM

i was trying to do that with my old PC but it has crashed a few times and I haven't been able to download the file on there. and I did download the fusion for the Mac but haven't gotten around to really playing with it and downloading the file that now seems to be missing.
    12-19-09 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD