So the OS is loaded and the phone has rebooted and is at the desktop. However the apploader still says "connecting to device" and it has yet to run the "restore data" portion. None of my settings or messages are on the phone yet. Do I just leave this connected or can I go ahead and cancel this and then restore my stuff from my backup?
    02-12-09 07:45 PM
    Got tired of waiting so I just hit cancel and am reloading through the DM. Didnt seem to hurt anything.

BTW, this is what I was talking about. The status bar was moving very, very slowly. I dont think the phone was even connected to the computer anymore as I heard the device manager disconnect sound a few minutes before.
    02-12-09 08:01 PM
    I have the same issue every time also, with Windows XP in VMware.

Feeling brave, I just unplugged the USB from my phone for a few seconds and plugged in back in. It then found my storm and continued on its was.
    This last time I had to unplug it 3 times before it found my phone again.
    I'm going to try .103 tonight and see how it goes.
    02-13-09 12:42 PM
    I've not seen any of these issues running XP Pro under VMWare Fusion.

Are you running the micro-USB cable from your mac (mine's an iMac) or from a USB hub?
    02-13-09 12:58 PM
    I had an error using Fusion when it woold try to reconnect to JVM (i think thats it) the phone would never boot back up. eventually I had to use the thinkpad to get ti done.

I never had this problem before when updating the OS.
    02-13-09 01:13 PM
    Here's a hint, don's switch from the XP VM when the DM is running. I have it running fullscreen in one of my four "spaces" and leave it in that space while I do all my Blackberry stuff, otherwise, the USB connection gets confused between Windows and OSX
    02-13-09 01:45 PM
    If you're using VMWare, sometimes the VMWare application will 'lose control' of the USB connection when the phone is rebooting. Check the bottom right corner of the VMWare window and make sure that the appropriate USB icon for the phone is bolded at all time during the install.
    02-13-09 02:52 PM
    I've not seen any of these issues running XP Pro under VMWare Fusion.

Are you running the micro-USB cable from your mac (mine's an iMac) or from a USB hub?
    I have an iMac also, I'm running the USB cable straight from the back of the Mac..not the keyboard or anything like that.

I don't switch back and fourth from XP to OS X when the update is running. It still looses its USB connection at the very last step on loading an OS update. It still works after I pull the cable from the phone and reconnect it, so I have learned to live with it.
    02-13-09 03:43 PM
    I'm sorry... I don't mean to Troll or Flame by saying this.... but all the time these mac questions and problems take you guys.... wouldn't it, in time alone, cost you less if you'd buy an old pc or laptop from the web from someone to do the install? Or via bootcamp? or.... whatever.... Just not from a Mac... its a hassle for a lot of people. Yes, there are no viruses for Mac, but also no compatible software. Which of course if even worse. And when you want to shell out a big bag of dough for something like that, why not keep a sneaky little acer aspire one in your sock-drawer so no-one needs to know you use windows to do the things that need to get done and for showing off, you'd use the Mac again. Or is that not a good idea? I don't know anymore..... lately I have seen so many people who are having issues with their macs. Not only with this, but with photoshop 4 too.... even the mac store here tells people to buy a pc for photoshop these days.... I mean, come on... save us all some time and just abandon that stuff untill RIM gets a good app tool out. Again, no pun intended or flaming or whatever.... just honest to g*d open solid advice. Mkay?
    02-13-09 03:57 PM
    ^^ Don't hate till you try it. I was a diehard PC user as well, built my own computers, went to college for computer engineering and for the last 2 years I've switched to Macs. I still use Boot Camp on my MacBook Pro to run Windows Vista so I can connect to my company's intranet and use their online software but for school and personal use I boot into Mac OS X. It's much easier, faster, and user friendly in my honest opinion and for almost everything you can do on a PC you can do on a Mac. Of course BlackBerry doesn't currently support Mac OS X but I'm sure that will change in time. Thankfully Mac OS X offers Boot Camp for free so we can use Windows if we need.
    02-13-09 04:10 PM
    I'm sorry... I don't mean to Troll or Flame by saying this.... but all the time these mac questions and problems take you guys.... wouldn't it, in time alone, cost you less if you'd buy an old pc or laptop from the web from someone to do the install? Or via bootcamp? or.... whatever.... Just not from a Mac... its a hassle for a lot of people. Yes, there are no viruses for Mac, but also no compatible software. Which of course if even worse. And when you want to shell out a big bag of dough for something like that, why not keep a sneaky little acer aspire one in your sock-drawer so no-one needs to know you use windows to do the things that need to get done and for showing off, you'd use the Mac again. Or is that not a good idea? I don't know anymore..... lately I have seen so many people who are having issues with their macs. Not only with this, but with photoshop 4 too.... even the mac store here tells people to buy a pc for photoshop these days.... I mean, come on... save us all some time and just abandon that stuff untill RIM gets a good app tool out. Again, no pun intended or flaming or whatever.... just honest to g*d open solid advice. Mkay?

To be honest, these small hiccups I have with my Macbook pale in comparison to the overall issues I have encountered on a Windows PC. So I'll gladly takle firing XP up in Fusion ONLY when I need it.
    02-13-09 04:28 PM

"Solid advice" ? I think not. I'm not even going to respond to most of your post because this is a forum for BLACKBERRY, not to debate weather PC or Mac is "better". Not even sure what the **** photoshop has to do with anything either.
    Mac users having been waiting for years for RIM to come out with something for Mac, so we have turned to other options until that happens. Sometimes these options have issues, like all other technology, so we turn to other users to help solve these issues.

If you don't like the thread, don't read it. Is that really THAT hard?
    02-13-09 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD