I own a 17'in Macbook Pro OS X v.10.5.5

So i just recently bought a 9530 Storm and have been using it for about 2 weeks without syncing it to my computer at all, just haven't found the time.

I just wanna get this straight, RIM does NOT make a Desktop Manager for the MAC platform correct? The only way to get OS X to talk to my BB Storm is to use a program called PocketMac correct? (what is this about Mark/space).

I also own an older PC running XP (3.2 hyper threaded processor i believe), its currently unplugged and unused. Am i better off firing up my old PC and avoiding some of the issues that i've read about PocketMac? (running Windows on my Mac doesn't seem a viable option just because i would have to purchase a new OS and i would not use Windows for anything other than syncing my BB, which seems a waste).

So in summation:
    1. is PocketMac my only bridge between OS X and my BB Storm?
    2. if so, am i better off going through the hassle of hooking up my old PC, or is PocketMac sufficient?

(I know people are going to complain and say i should read the forums, which trust me i have spent more time than i should doing so. There really aught to be a sticky thread pertaining to this subject. The reason i post a new thread is because i would like "up to date" information and advice. If you are preparing to flame do so knowing that you are simply wasting more time than you already have reading my post)

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE!!!
    01-22-09 04:07 PM
    I've heard too much bad stuff about PocketMac.
    I use Missing Sync with not much of a problem. That is a Mark/Space product and yes you have to pay for it, but in my opinion it's worth it.
    That's just my .02 worth.
    01-22-09 04:28 PM
    You have three options:
    1) Load DM on you Mac using Boot Camp or VMware/Paralles and use DM for all of your OS upgrades, back ups, etc.
    2) Download PocketMac (free) of Missing Sync (Mark/Space)-$40. These programs will allow you to sync with your contact-Address book, iCal, iTunes, IPhoto. To so so on the DM side you would have to use something like google sync for your email/contact info. You could hook your Storm up to your Mac bu USB and drag and drop your iTunes, etc to your media card.
    3) use your work or other PC for DM. There are many threads on this site as addressing each of these options.

BTW, welcome to CB land. Here's the link for Missing Sync

BlackBerry Sync Mac - Synchronize Blackberry to Mac contacts, calendars, notes, playlists and photos
    Last edited by fcortese; 01-22-09 at 04:30 PM. Reason: add URL
    01-22-09 04:29 PM
    hey Thanks alot for your help guys, one quick question.

If i decide to go the Pocketmac/ Missing Sync option. Can i only sync? or can i do upgrades/backups, etc?

If not than i guess i'm firing up the ol' PC again.
    01-22-09 05:30 PM
    You have three options:
    1) Load DM on you Mac using Boot Camp or VMware/Paralles and use DM for all of your OS upgrades, back ups, etc.
    2) Download PocketMac (free) of Missing Sync (Mark/Space)-$40. These programs will allow you to sync with your contact-Address book, iCal, iTunes, IPhoto. To so so on the DM side you would have to use something like google sync for your email/contact info. You could hook your Storm up to your Mac bu USB and drag and drop your iTunes, etc to your media card.
    3) use your work or other PC for DM. There are many threads on this site as addressing each of these options.

BTW, welcome to CB land. Here's the link for Missing Sync

BlackBerry Sync Mac - Synchronize Blackberry to Mac contacts, calendars, notes, playlists and photos
    I turned my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop into a Mac (its amazing that the hardware is virtually identical). I'm running OSX 10.5.6 and by far the best way is option 1... for me atleast.
    01-22-09 06:23 PM
    You are basically stuck using windows for upgrades now, and I am a mac user myself. I use vmware fusion w/xp to upgrade my os. Works well enough. My bold is stand alone and besides the original sync for my contacts my email is pushed as are my contacts. I ota all my apps also. For me, I have no reason to sync all the time.

I do wish rim had a way to upgrade within os x. Google finally got picasa out for the mac and that was my last reason I used windows. I was so happy I could fully dump xp, but now I have to keep it for upgrades oh well....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 07:37 PM
    You are basically stuck using windows for upgrades now, and I am a mac user myself. I use vmware fusion w/xp to upgrade my os. Works well enough. My bold is stand alone and besides the original sync for my contacts my email is pushed as are my contacts. I ota all my apps also. For me, I have no reason to sync all the time.

I do wish rim had a way to upgrade within os x. Google finally got picasa out for the mac and that was my last reason I used windows. I was so happy I could fully dump xp, but now I have to keep it for upgrades oh well....

I dont see many reasons to sync to my PC either. My contacts are more up to date in my phone then they are in my computer anyway. I guess the only reason i would need the PC is to upgrade the BB OS i guess then.

All my third party Apps have been downloaded OTA. I guess i thought i was just missing out on something.

I wonder if someone could answer me this question. If i plug in my BB to my MAC w/o ANY software installed i should still be able to access my media card correct? If so could i pull off the videos that wont be played via the BB, the file not supported glitch?
    01-22-09 10:42 PM
    PM is total fail. RIM actually HATES Apple. This is a fact. So many quotes from insiders @ RIM that bash A pple. So it is time to boot up your PC.....ya it sux.

01-23-09 03:37 AM
    I wonder if someone could answer me this question. If i plug in my BB to my MAC w/o ANY software installed i should still be able to access my media card correct? If so could i pull off the videos that wont be played via the BB, the file not supported glitch?
    I am not completely certain butI believe you can if you "enable" your media mass storage. You essentially use your BB as a flashdrive.
    01-23-09 10:19 AM
    PM is total fail. RIM actually HATES Apple. This is a fact. So many quotes from insiders @ RIM that bash A pple. So it is time to boot up your PC.....ya it sux.

If that is true that is so unfortunate. MACs only continue to grow in popularity, among college kids PC's are turning into a thing of the past i even see some small business owners opting for MACS with the release of Vista.

I work as a Graphic/Web Designer and in my field MACS are king. So if RIM chooses to ignore the MAC platform they are simply choosing to ignore a large population of computer owners. Smart business? probably not.
    01-23-09 10:25 AM
    I am not completely certain butI believe you can if you "enable" your media mass storage. You essentially use your BB as a flashdrive.
    I tried plugging it into my MAC, nothing. I did not "enable" media mass storage. Where is this option? and what exactly does it mean?

thanks

EDIT: I found media mass storage on the storm, little different place than the other BB's i guess. However, this does not seem to allow me to see the information on the media card but only shows the information on the BB Device memory, am i doing something wrong?
    Last edited by RU_Storm; 01-23-09 at 10:56 AM.
    01-23-09 10:32 AM
    If that is true that is so unfortunate. MACs only continue to grow in popularity, among college kids PC's are turning into a thing of the past i even see some small business owners opting for MACS with the release of Vista.

I work as a Graphic/Web Designer and in my field MACS are king. So if RIM chooses to ignore the MAC platform they are simply choosing to ignore a large population of computer owners. Smart business? probably not.

Bingo.. so this is why my BB is referred to as DUMB PHONE.

If RIM does not come around.. they will get turned into Apple Juice...

Hint.. the iPhone will not be the only phone that Apple releases.. they have Business enterprise users... on target...

Heck RIM products do not even work with iSync...... > WTH?
    01-24-09 01:38 AM

You go right on believing that. ;-) Macs have a niche but ONLY a niche.They are still only a tiny portion of the computer hardware and software market.

Around here the college kids have to get a laptop of some kind and most get PC's and only those in graphics design and foreign language majors have to get Macs. This is not just one school that is three colleges and two community colleges and they represent the Univ systems on two states.

Anyway, to move on to my point . . . .

The reason that RIM is not spending money on Apple support is simple. They are moving away from using a desktop manager on the computer at all. The newest 4.5 4.6 and 4.7 builds have wireless updates in them and that's the future of all things, and before long the syncing of your data will also be wireless over the Internet (ie Google Sync) and the DM wont be needed at all.

They are not going to invest a lot of money in developing software that will be obsolete in a year or so. Ideally they would buy Missing Sync like they did PocketMac but they probably don't think it would be worth it given the way things are going (see above).

@ RU_Storm

Why would you need to buy another copy of Windows? Don't you have the Windows install discs for your old unused PC?

And you may want to look into a program called Missing Sync, it is a commercial program but I believe it will do what you want on your Mac.
    01-24-09 02:25 AM
    I turned my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop into a Mac (its amazing that the hardware is virtually identical). I'm running OSX 10.5.6 and by far the best way is option 1... for me atleast.
    How difficult was this to do? Can it be done with a Dell Inspiron 600m? I would love to turn my Dell into a Mac. Please any info would be great.
    01-24-09 02:54 AM
    How difficult was this to do? Can it be done with a Dell Inspiron 600m? I would love to turn my Dell into a Mac. Please any info would be great.
    I sent you a PM
    01-24-09 08:54 AM
    You go right on believing that. ;-) Macs have a niche but ONLY a niche.They are still only a tiny portion of the computer hardware and software market.

Around here the college kids have to get a laptop of some kind and most get PC's and only those in graphics design and foreign language majors have to get Macs. This is not just one school that is three colleges and two community colleges and they represent the Univ systems on two states.

Anyway, to move on to my point . . . .

The reason that RIM is not spending money on Apple support is simple. They are moving away from using a desktop manager on the computer at all. The newest 4.5 4.6 and 4.7 builds have wireless updates in them and that's the future of all things, and before long the syncing of your data will also be wireless over the Internet (ie Google Sync) and the DM wont be needed at all.

They are not going to invest a lot of money in developing software that will be obsolete in a year or so. Ideally they would buy Missing Sync like they did PocketMac but they probably don't think it would be worth it given the way things are going (see above).

@ RU_Storm

Why would you need to buy another copy of Windows? Don't you have the Windows install discs for your old unused PC?

And you may want to look into a program called Missing Sync, it is a commercial program but I believe it will do what you want on your Mac.
    I can understand your point about RIM not investing money if they are planning on moving away from Desktop support, that makes sense.

However, to call the MAC world simply a small niche seems a gross understatement in my opinion. I've been a PC user my entire life, i've built several of them, coded for them, etc. I now exclusively use MAC. I know i'm a graphic designer and its not quite fair to judge by me. My friends are not though, from cops to marines to federal employees....they all have switched to MACS (maybe not at work but at home for sure). small niche? you go right on believing that ;-)

regarding the OS question, in theory yes i should have a copy of a windows operating system....and i do, but i am like so many other PC users and have a less than legit copy. I've left my pirating days behind me and despite my bad taste for most things microsoft i'd rather not steal anymore.

I will look into Missing Sync though, thanks for the advice and thank you for replying to my concerns.
    01-24-09 08:35 PM
    regarding the OS question, in theory yes i should have a copy of a windows operating system....and i do, but i am like so many other PC users and have a less than legit copy. I've left my pirating days behind me and despite my bad taste for most things microsoft i'd rather not steal anymore.

I will look into Missing Sync though, thanks for the advice and thank you for replying to my concerns.
    Yeah, that makes sense. Piracy is at least part of why OS prices are so high. You might be able to get an inexpensive OEM version of XP in eBay or somewhere too.

From what I've heard Missing Sync is not ideal either but it is a lot better than Pocket Mac.

Best of luck
    01-24-09 08:48 PM

LOL

the same way the iPhone is gonna fail..

"Ballmer: iPhone has "no chance" of gaining significant market share"

LOL

OTA? sure in a perfect world.. but unlikely... you try and move 16 gigs of multimedia.. OTA.

and do not ask... "why would anyone want 16 gigs of files on a BB?"... well the answer would be. why have a multimedia capable BB?

so .. having some sort of DM software can be considered somewhat of a requirement.
    01-26-09 01:48 PM
    Bluetooth is your friend, and that works even if you are on a Mac.

You can also just take the card out, stick it in the card reader and send them that way. There are ways around it, and whining wont change how it is. You can either use one of the suggested workarounds, run Windows via Bootcamp or whatever, or switch to that iPhone you mentioned.
    01-26-09 11:01 PM
    Sure pal BT is my friend.. just not that close of a friend of mine when asked to repeatedly update/sunc multiple gigs of data.. quickly....should not take more than maybe about an hour.. heck maybe less if you have BT EDR.. ya IT IS that much faster. LOL

What you are actually asking for is FIREwireless..

should not be far along after all the RIM complainers begin whining why their is no DM. (using your rationale)

...well done.
    Last edited by shabbasuraj; 01-27-09 at 01:24 AM.
    01-27-09 01:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD