I feel as though I am wandering down the path to the darkside...but I can't stop grinning

okay I know it's not blackberry related but I would like some advice please

does anyone know of a good few imac forums

Do I need a antivirus/security package

is it difficult to transfer windows documents/pictures over to the mac

Beyond these I intend to use the forums that follow and use the search facility...but for those who reply..many thanks
    07-08-09 04:13 PM
    macrumors.com is a good site for info the the forums are pretty good.

macosxhints.com is also useful.

No need for anti-virus / spyware as it doesn't exist for the mac, yet. There are trojans out there but unless you are installing pirated software you don't have to worry about that.

You should have no problem transfering your documents / pictures over. You should have gotten iPhoto with the iMac that will organize all your pictures for you. As for your documents you will need either Microsoft office for the Mac, iWork or Neo Office to read those, but besides coping them over to your iMac you don't have to do anything else.

If you plan to install themes or blackberry software you will either want to get windows running in boot camp on the iMac or buy VMware fusion to run windows in as there is no love for Mac from RIM.
    07-08-09 04:20 PM
    I just got one this week too. No problems syncing up the berry w/the mac. I installed windows 7 w/boot camp for the windows stuff I still need. So far I am liking the imac!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 10:35 PM
    Another vote for Macrumors.
    07-09-09 02:17 AM

I feel as though I am wandering down the path to the darkside...but I can't stop grinning

okay I know it's not blackberry related but I would like some advice please

does anyone know of a good few imac forums

Do I need a antivirus/security package

is it difficult to transfer windows documents/pictures over to the mac

Beyond these I intend to use the forums that follow and use the search facility...but for those who reply..many thanks
    yup. mac rumors is a good forum.

nope, not yet, as most viruses for mac that even exist are just trojans, meaning that you would have to install it yourself, none of that windows related spyware crap just yet.

nope. your mac should be able to read every file that comes over from your windows computer.
    07-09-09 09:16 PM
    Thanks all

as said the documents went straight over as did the pics

the video's weren't straight forward but it is a new toy and patience is on my side

Had a look at mac rumours..thank you..v helpfull

Thankfully i sussed the storm out quite quickly...and sold the piece of c**p so no problems with syncin with a bb...I won't buy another one again

again many thanks all for the info
    07-10-09 02:01 PM
    okay a follow on

both myself and my partner have i music..she has an ipod 3 and i have an itouch.

before she had the 3 on her laptop and I had my touch on the old desktop. tried to align my touch with the new imac and it won't allow it without wiping out my music

I can't lose this music! it's all mine from my old c.d's that are with an unhappy ex and I do not want to pay itunes the amount for 1100 songs

is there anyway i can align my itouch with the new mac and not loose the songs but instead place the songs in the library?
    07-11-09 10:03 AM
    Grab yourself Senuti which allows your iPods to mount as drives, so you can drag your music off them to the iMac.
    07-11-09 06:59 PM
    MacRumors.com is great. As far as, antivirus its not really needed for the Mac however I do use ClamXav to scan files I download just so I never have the possibility of sending it to a Windows user and infecting them. Just so you know any issues that you will get with your Mac as far as viruses or trojans will only come from a program you download and install. OS X will ask you at least once if not twice to supply the admin username and password if you put it in you are on your own. Just don't download questionable stuff and you'll be OK. No worries about spyware though.

Some tips:

Do not make the account you use most the admin account, have a seperate account that is not typical used for that (a little extra security)

Check out the MacCast Podcast and the Typical Mac User Podcast, good informational podcasts. Have taught me a lot.

BUY APPLE CARE! Even if something is not covered by warranty of if it expires they may still cover your repairs, Apple is very good at customer service!

Enjoy being free of windooze!
    07-12-09 09:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD