hey, i'm new to this whole, blackberry craze, and i need some help!

is there a way of getting itunes media files onto my 8130? do i have to convert them into a different media file? (is that even possible!?) I've heard of pocketmac, is that what i should be using?!

thanks for your help
    12-22-07 03:51 PM
    PocketMac doesn't have the media feature to transfer iTunes files. You might want to try Missing Sync.

Using iTunes files on your 8130 depends on the file itself. If you purchased the files from iTunes, you almost always have to burn them to a CD and re-rip them in iTunes. Unless the files is DRM free.

What I do on my 8300 is just use the mass storage mode and simply drag and drop the music files I need. The 8300 will play AAC (MP4) files so I'm pretty certain that 8130 won't have an trouble playing AAC files.
    12-22-07 04:20 PM
    but missing sync is the only way to do this?
    12-22-07 04:24 PM
    Missing Sync is one way. It has a feature that will use your iTunes playlist to play music. Well, non-DRM files.

I don't use Missing Sync. I just use "Mass Storage Mode" to copy the iTunes files (non-DRM) over to the media card on my Curve. I just can't justify paying $ (although it's not much) for this feature and since I don't do any heavy duty syncing. And I use PocketMac to sync my address book and calendar.

The iTunes files on your Mac will be in two formats. There's .m4p and .m4a The .m4p is a DRM protected files (iTune purchased files) and will not play on your Pearl or any other BB. The .m4a file is the non-DRM file and will play on your Pearl without having to convert it to MP3. I wouldn't convert it to MP3 anyway since MP4 is a better quality file.

So, you can use Missing Sync or Mass Storage Mode to get music on your Pearl.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by onepoonis; 12-22-07 at 04:39 PM.
    12-22-07 04:36 PM
    another, most likely dumb question, the mass storage mode? what exactly is that?
    12-22-07 04:43 PM
    There's no dumb questions here!! I didn't know what it was when I got my first BB.

The mass storage mode allows the media card in your Pearl to show up as a hard drive (or removable drive) on your desktop. You can just open it and there will be folders for music, video, etc., and use it as like you would a thumb drive (or memory stick). But, you should use a media card (memory card). I use 2GB card for my Curve.

Go to Options > Media Card > Media Card Support = On, Mass Storage Mode Support = On, Auto Enable....Connected = On or Prompt. It will also display how much space you have left on your media card. Then just connect your Pearl to your Mac using USB and click yes when a prompt pops up on your Pearl (if you have it set to Prompt and not on). In few seconds, an icon will show on your desktop and you can drag and drop files into their appropriate folders. Just eject it when your done and enjoy.
    12-22-07 04:50 PM
    thanks! i'll give that a try!
    12-22-07 04:57 PM
    SORRY, Just realized this is for MAC users. I use Windows. Any help would still be appreciated.
    Hi, I have the Curve 8300 and haven't been able to move over itunes i've purchased (MP4 files). I joined Yahoo music but those were wav. files and wouldn't go either. How can I move over purchased songs to BB? Also, can i move songs from my store bought CD's to my BB? Any help w/b appreciated
    Last edited by rtoner002; 01-10-08 at 08:07 PM.
    01-10-08 08:02 PM
    SORRY, Just realized this is for MAC users. I use Windows. Any help would still be appreciated.
    Hi, I have the Curve 8300 and haven't been able to move over itunes i've purchased (MP4 files). I joined Yahoo music but those were wav. files and wouldn't go either. How can I move over purchased songs to BB? Also, can i move songs from my store bought CD's to my BB? Any help w/b appreciated
    You can get a file converter online that will take your protected purchased songs and convert them to mp3s. I used it for all of my rhapsody music I have purchased over the years and I think it works for itunes and yahoo as well from what I have read.

The one I bought is called melodycan. There are others that have been mentioned in the forum as well. It cost me about $20 but it was worth it to me because the only other way to do it is to burn all of your songs onto CD then rip them onto your hard drive again before loading them. That is a pain in the ****, plus it makes it harder for the tagging programs to find the information on the songs and album art.

As for moving cd songs to your bb, rip the cds first then drag and drop them into your bb using the mass storage device method described above. That is, once you plug your bb into your computer if you go my computer you will see your BB listed as a drive for your media card. click on it and then you should be able to drag the albums from your hard drive to the appropriate folder in your BB. This works for ringtones and other media too!

I hope this all makes sense, it was hard for me to understand at first too, and I am not all that computer savvy so I hope I am being clear enough. If you search the forums you can find this topic discussed by others who may shed more light on it.

Good luck! I think you will find that solving all of these mysteries and making these things work is a big part of the addiction to the device!

Eli
    01-10-08 08:50 PM
    I have a few video file from Itunes I'd like to put on my 8830, but I'm having a lot of trouble with file types. I can drag and drop them, but the media player on the 8830 can't play them. They are M4V files. What is the secret to moving itunes video to the bb? I have tried drag and drop from the Mac and using Roxio on the BB desktop manager Neither works. The Roxio prg gives me the message that the file can not be converted. The Mac puts the file there, but it can't be played.
    01-12-08 11:57 AM
    Hi there,

Ong-gia is right, you have to convert your files in order to get them on your BB. I generally use Tunebite to convert all the protected or unprotected files I need. I found it quite a while ago when I was searching for a program to convert some drm protected files that I wanted to listen on an mp3 player that I had purchased. It's qite easy to use and if i recall correctly it converts all kinds of file formats so it should solve your problem without wrecking your brains and having to try all sorts of programs that might not do the job for you.
    You can give it a spin and tell me what you think about it..
    Hope this will help you.

Ps:You can google it or i' ll post a link later if you're interested.
    02-21-08 06:57 AM
    Insomniac -
    That program sounds pretty decent. How much is it? Can you post the link when you get a chance?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-08 07:26 AM
    02-21-08 07:46 AM
    ok, I've read the replies to this thread, and most of the replies are "use mass storage mode". I have a 8130 pearl with a 8 gb card and I use Sync (from BB website) to sync my contacts and iCal. Recently I tried putting about 1 gb of music on my blackberry in the mass storage mode, and the results were horrendous. The device totally slowed down to a haul and I was not able to perform basic operations with it. It became unusable and I had to delete everything off it.

NOW, my dad sis and mom all have the same BB. and They all have vista operated laptops and therefore use Roxio (supplied by BB) to "CONVERT" the media they are putting on their BB to a "better" format. As a result, their blackberries work flawlessly.

So my fellow Mac/BB users.. What is the best solution to this problem???

problems like this drive me absolutely insane....
    02-21-08 07:14 PM
    Ardy, just so you know, there is a known issue with the 8130 pearl and OS X10.5. It causes the BB to crash and go into a never ending reboot cycle. As you know you can sync what you need, you can add apps and themes, but you will not be able to load music, videos, ring tones or pictures this way. The only why I have found it to work is to use a card reader and mount the card that way.
    As to your family, tell them when they connect to their Vista or XP machine, and the BB asks to use mass storage say yes, and then it will show up as a drive letter in My Computer. Then just drag and drop or copy and paste to the card. It is much faster than Roxio which is a resource hog.

Also you will need to use the Windows machine to upgrade your device's OS when new releases become available. As of now, this can not be done on a Mac. Unless of course you are running Boot Camp and Windows.
    02-21-08 10:10 PM
    For getting music files onto my computer, I just do it the old-fashioned way, like Member #1 does. Have a card reader and I just drag and drop music files onto it. Just make sure that you first format the (blank) card in your phone, then remove it and plug it into your computer. The first time you put the card in your phone, you may have to do a battery pull for the BB to recognize the card. But since then, no problems taking out the card to add/remove music and then putting it back in the phone. It does take a while for the songs to load, and it is a known issue that the BB music player won't read all the songs on the card, but hey - still easier than carrying a phone and an MP3 player.
    02-23-08 10:45 PM
    I have a few video file from Itunes I'd like to put on my 8830, but I'm having a lot of trouble with file types. I can drag and drop them, but the media player on the 8830 can't play them. They are M4V files. What is the secret to moving itunes video to the bb? I have tried drag and drop from the Mac and using Roxio on the BB desktop manager Neither works. The Roxio prg gives me the message that the file can not be converted. The Mac puts the file there, but it can't be played.

I've noticed that the BB may restrict the size of the files... I could not move a 15mb music vid but I converted it with Isquint down to a 11mb and it worked fine...
    02-28-08 05:13 PM
    spsands, not sure what the issue is causing that error, but I have copied video files in the excess of 300 meg with no problem. These are full length movies. Some over 2 hours long. Can you post what error you got?
    02-28-08 05:27 PM
    its an ID -10 -T error..

Im an (edit:wow it filtered id10t) .. I had a 32mb sd card in there... Cant fit big files... I got a 2gb card in the mail on the way. Should be here today or tomorrow.
    03-04-08 05:55 PM
    its an ID -10 -T error..

Im an (edit:wow it filtered id10t) .. I had a 32mb sd card in there... Cant fit big files... I got a 2gb card in the mail on the way. Should be here today or tomorrow.
    Sure you can I call myself an I D I O T all the time!
    Let us know how you make out!
    03-04-08 06:47 PM
    I have a MAC and a BB Pearl and did as ONEPOONIS suggested, i.e. hooling my BB to my computer, setting the BB for mass storage, and dragging the music files into the BB's music folder. Sorta time-consuming, but it worked! Also, I was able to add SOME songs purchased on itunes, but not the files that had a little "lock"logo on them. A cheap fix would, of course, to burn these songs onto a disc, reload them into itunes, and then add to BB... Sounds like a bit of a pain, but at least one doesn't have to buy yet another program... Thanks for the help, I need all that I can get!
    11-11-08 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD