Sorry all... I am a loyal Apple fan, Mac user and CrackBerry addict.

I am sure everyone has heard all of the rumors and is aware of the new iPhone, but I wanted to make a thread in the Mac Users area!!

In no way am I belittling BlackBerry and RIM, but the new iPhone is astounding! I am a HUGE Mac Fan as well... so I couldn't just sit back and let this news pass.

I have this thing about needing a tactile QWERTY keypad, so BBs are my thing. The new iPhone has an unbeatable price, interface, compatibility, integration... the list goes on.

GPS, new ActiveSync (mobileMe) features for Mac AND PC. 8 Gb iPhone for $199!! So many great new features!! iPhone SDK 2 is amazing as well.
    06-09-08 01:51 PM
    The iPhone has so many things going for it except one: AT&T.

WHY OH WHY Apple did you make this a carrier exclusive to the one provider who has the worst service in the nation? Two big reasons I have a blackberry and not an iPhone are carrier availability and push email. The previous generation iPhone did not push email reliably.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Mobile ME thing is going to cost an additional $99 per year. That's an extra $8.25/mo. for the ability to have push email? Seems ridiculous to me -- push email should be a standard feature of every iPhone data plan like it is with Blackberry.

Apple makes cool products -- I have four Macs at home and love 'em -- but they sacrifice basic features for wow factor. For instance, where is the iPhone's cut-and-paste capability? Isn't that a BASIC feature of any smart phone or PDA device?

Apple will have to prove this year that the iPhone is a serious contender for Blackberry business. Until it has flawless push email and is available on Verizon, I won't be needing an iPhone.
    06-10-08 12:20 PM
    Did anyone notice that this phone is actually MORE expensive than the original? To get the Iphone 3g ATT raises your monthly rate an extra 10 bucks per month to use it. That over a 2 year contract comes out to 240.00usd.

So 240 + 199 (price of the CHEAPEST IPhone) = 439.00. Not much of a bargain if I do say so my self...

Att made it seem like your getting a good deal but the fact is they just made more money off of you. BTW this price does not effect anyone who has an older model Iphone.. Only the 3G users....
    06-10-08 12:55 PM
    Sadly I don't have att, it would be great if hackers would jailbreak this phone down the road as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-08 10:59 AM
    Did anyone notice that this phone is actually MORE expensive than the original? To get the Iphone 3g ATT raises your monthly rate an extra 10 bucks per month to use it. That over a 2 year contract comes out to 240.00usd.

So 240 + 199 (price of the CHEAPEST IPhone) = 439.00. Not much of a bargain if I do say so my self...

Att made it seem like your getting a good deal but the fact is they just made more money off of you. BTW this price does not effect anyone who has an older model Iphone.. Only the 3G users....
    You make a mute point... the price of the device is lower and extra pricing on the data should not be taken into consideration for one main reason; it is now the SAME price as getting a BB data plan (on most carriers) if I remember correctly.

The device is a great deal, and you cannot argue that point at all!! If you want to pick at the iPhone, pick at something like no MMS, no copy and paste, no replaceable battery or external storage (microSD)... but the price is great.
    06-13-08 12:10 PM
    Sadly I don't have att, it would be great if hackers would jailbreak this phone down the road as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sadly, I do not have ATT either... (and I do not know why I said sadly).

It should be more like: S

Sadly, the iPhone is not offered on any carrier besides ATT!! haha

I have never understood the point of a jailbroken iPhone... yes you get the device, but a lot of the new features of the iPhone 3G will not be usable when jailbroken!! (3G, visual voice mail... not sure the others that won't function, but I am sure there are more)

Also, getting an unlocked iPhone will be really expensive with the 3G because ATT requires in-store activation and your phone has to be activated with ATT within 30 days. If you jail break it... then you are looking at paying an ATT contract because of this, along with the other carrier that you plan to use your unlocked iPhone on. Without at-home activations, jailbreaking really has no point. The device will be so expensive and featureless. haha
    06-13-08 12:13 PM
    Sadly, I do not have ATT either... (and I do not know why I said sadly).

It should be more like: S

Sadly, the iPhone is not offered on any carrier besides ATT!! haha

I have never understood the point of a jailbroken iPhone... yes you get the device, but a lot of the new features of the iPhone 3G will not be usable when jailbroken!! (3G, visual voice mail... not sure the others that won't function, but I am sure there are more)

Also, getting an unlocked iPhone will be really expensive with the 3G because ATT requires in-store activation and your phone has to be activated with ATT within 30 days. If you jail break it... then you are looking at paying an ATT contract because of this, along with the other carrier that you plan to use your unlocked iPhone on. Without at-home activations, jailbreaking really has no point. The device will be so expensive and featureless. haha
    Im sure there is some genius out there that already has a plan to unlock it and get it open to other networks. All it takes is time, how much I have no clue. I also hope that there would be people who develop apps as they do now. I have a plethora of free apps available to me through installer. If this carries on, which it may but some time in the future. I will be getting one.
    06-14-08 02:35 AM
    The iPhone has so many things going for it except one: AT&T.

WHY OH WHY Apple did you make this a carrier exclusive to the one provider who has the worst service in the nation? Two big reasons I have a blackberry and not an iPhone are carrier availability and push email. The previous generation iPhone did not push email reliably.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Mobile ME thing is going to cost an additional $99 per year. That's an extra $8.25/mo. for the ability to have push email? Seems ridiculous to me -- push email should be a standard feature of every iPhone data plan like it is with Blackberry.

Apple makes cool products -- I have four Macs at home and love 'em -- but they sacrifice basic features for wow factor. For instance, where is the iPhone's cut-and-paste capability? Isn't that a BASIC feature of any smart phone or PDA device?

Apple will have to prove this year that the iPhone is a serious contender for Blackberry business. Until it has flawless push email and is available on Verizon, I won't be needing an iPhone.
    Carrier... When I ask you how did you come up with AT&T being the worst carrier... what will you say? JD? Consumer reports? I really want to know the answer to this one. AT&T was chosen because Verizon couldn't handle having another Czar take piece of their pie. Why does verizon force you to use a data plan on a berry?

Mobile is more than push email... It's push calendar, contacts & photo syncing.. and much much more. 20GBs of storage isn't worth it? It's 14.95 for 1gb of email storage from RIM. Let's multiply that by 20...

Cut and paste is basic for tactile keyboards and devices that use a stylus. You need to understand, it's not basic for an all touch device.

I'm sure the iPhone will not be needing you as well, no offense. Steve has 6 million others and 4 more to hit the goal, 9 million to hit the expected goal from analysts.
    06-15-08 12:29 AM
    Why do people seem to care so much that the data plan for the new 3G is 30 bucks??? I pay 30 bucks at VZW for my pearl for data and all i get is push email and a crappy mobile web type browser....
    06-15-08 10:54 AM

If it ever even got to vzw which i doubt...it would be crippled, just like all the blackberry devices that can't live up to their potential.

And to each his own, thats all i find myself saying in these iPhone posts.

I personally cannot wait for the release, as i told myself i would always wiait for 2nd gen and am more than happy to make the jump from vzw to more bars in more places
    06-15-08 10:57 AM
    On my side i m going to wait the 11th to see how users like it and try it in store as well.

iphone and blackberry are two different devices. i love both concept.

iphone:

-no MMS- could be eihter fixed later by iphone, i guess by an addon or you can send an email instead off and attach to it a picutre.. but yes, not every phone users have a phone that support email or took the plan for it

-no copy and paste- i m sure that something can be fixed too after all they just have to update the OS....

-no replaceable battery- that i just dont understund from apple! even in a point of view from apple that could have add $ revenu by selling batteries... i just dont get it. if the battery is dead then you send this bad boy for repair, because if you open it by yourself you are out of wanranty? well i guess this is where they get back some bucks as well.. any way that's not very clever/pratifcal i think

-external storage (microSD)- well 16gb for you is not engouh!!!! i dont think that bother me so much. i would say that it depends how fast the transfer of data is from the iphone to the PC/Mac.. since we know that usualy when you put your mermory straight to your PC/MAC the transfer should be faster..... but it doesn t bother me at all

-keypad- that the biggest thing for me. i am a huge fan of texting. I use the keypad of the iphone and i wasnt sold at all. i have to try it again. My freinds told me that they switch for the iphone and they tape very fast.. so i need to try that again. (that s actually why i didnt take the iphone in the first place)

-screen/os- what a great screen, who can say no to that!! watch moives , videos and pictures on it, it's just incridible!
    the os is great and so different fom other os like symbian, windows mobiles or RIM. I Love it

So like i said i m just gonna wait and i m quite sure that i will take the iphone as i will keep anyway my curve 8320 or sale it for a bold.. we will see

06-15-08 12:00 PM

picture is worth 1000
    06-15-08 01:03 PM
    Going through the bullet point list of features will tell you nothing about which device works for you. The Blackberry and iPhone come at life from different angles. Different tools, different use patterns. Use what works.
    06-15-08 01:14 PM
    Keep your Blackberry, and get an iPod Touch. It's pretty much an iPhone without 1. Phone, and 2. Camera. I'm sure your blackberry can handle those two functions quite nicely... lol
    Oh and missing sync will solve all the Mac sync problems for your berry...
    06-15-08 08:48 PM
    Keep your Blackberry, and get an iPod Touch. It's pretty much an iPhone without 1. Phone, and 2. Camera. I'm sure your blackberry can handle those two functions quite nicely... lol
    Oh and missing sync will solve all the Mac sync problems for your berry...

I rather to have all in one and dont carry extra...
    06-15-08 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD