Hey there Crackberry World!

Say I just have a quick question that seems to not have a solid answer. I have a Mac Computer and I am having an issue with opening the downloaded MTS 5.0 upgrade. Is there any way I can put this on my tour? will the leak be the same as the MTS ? I am a newbie at installing a leaked or non VZW OS. Any help would be appreciated!!
    01-20-10 10:13 AM
    Sadly, You'll need to have Windows Desktop Manager installed to do this, I'm actually typing this from inside Windows XP running in a virtual machine on my MacBook Pro, which I use to do my "BlackBerry Maintenance" tasks.

There was a tutorial at how you could try and install Beta/Leaked OS's on a Mac, but it was proven to brick more devices then it was able to install on, so the tutorial and video was taken down.
    01-20-10 02:19 PM
    You can only install OS from a Windows platform, or a Mac running windows through boot camp or parallel.

Waiting for the day my Macbook can natively install BlackBerry OS.... sigh...
    01-20-10 05:03 PM
    on a mac doesnt it download as a .exe?
    01-20-10 05:25 PM
    Once the OS is officially released by your carrier you will be able to upgrade using the Mac DM.

Also, once when I was updating my Pearl through Windows on VMWare Fusion, I managed to brick it because the phone's USB connection did not get properly forwarded to the VM after the phone reset. So now I always use a native boot to Windows when updating my phone.
    01-20-10 06:49 PM
    how i wish you would work together in harmony to allow installation of .exe files, without virtualization or dual booting..........same for linux (ubuntu) haha
    01-20-10 07:16 PM
    Just as a side note, I used to have a Storm. I could not stand the touch screen and traded it in for a Tour. Anyway I have a Macbook Pro. I was successfully able to install the Official Verizon release of OS 5 for the Storm, only to have some very weird issues. I went ahead and used my virtual machine Windows XP when I did the reinstall, and I had no issues. After a few more days there were many people who had similar issues loading with a Mac.

I would recommend to anyone out there to only use the Mac DM to install an OS if that is the absolute only option you have.

My two cents....
    01-20-10 08:01 PM
    Same problems here. MacBookPro, I went ahead and put Vista on using Bootcamp. I just reboot in Windows, do my BB stuff on the DM there, and reboot back into Mac. Little bit of a PIA, but the smoothest and safest I've found.
    01-20-10 08:07 PM
    Same problems here. MacBookPro, I went ahead and put Vista on using Bootcamp. I just reboot in Windows, do my BB stuff on the DM there, and reboot back into Mac. Little bit of a PIA, but the smoothest and safest I've found.
    Ditto. MBP 13 with XP on Bootcamp.

With the S1 VMWare worked great for upgrades, but neither VMWare nor Parallels play nice with the S2 on upgrades. Bootcamp FTW.
    01-20-10 08:19 PM
    I should add a word of warning here, I tried to do a 5.0 update on Parallels today, and ending up totally Tourless, Parallels / VMWare aren't able to initalise drivers fast enough to do the DM upgrade process, so you will not be able to continue past the "Uploading RAM Image" stage of the upgrade.

I had to go to my girlfriends house and use her PC in order to get my device back from a 507 error. You should use Bootcamp if it all possible to do any OS upgrades.
    01-20-10 10:55 PM
    I also find Desktop Manager for Mac very flakey. I do all my BlackBerry nerd work in my Windows 7 partition. You can install official OSs in DM for Mac but its so unreliable that I recommend doing it in Windows if possible. Its too bad that even though Mac now has official support for BlackBerries that its not very good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-10 10:39 AM
    I should add a word of warning here, I tried to do a 5.0 update on Parallels today, and ending up totally Tourless, Parallels / VMWare aren't able to initalise drivers fast enough to do the DM upgrade process, so you will not be able to continue past the "Uploading RAM Image" stage of the upgrade.

I had to go to my girlfriends house and use her PC in order to get my device back from a 507 error. You should use Bootcamp if it all possible to do any OS upgrades.
    I wish I would have read this before I detoured my tour.. so if I go back to 4.7 I should be ok?
    02-11-10 09:13 AM
    ok I just posted a new thread asking this. but NOW I cant seem to install 4.7 or 5.0 on my phone using bootcamp.. im completely stumped at this point and my phone aint touring at all.. HELP!!!
    02-11-10 10:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD