03-30-10 06:38 AM
37 12
tools
    Hi
    Im a Tour addict...that is thing about getting a mac but have questions!
    I have been a PC user for all my life....Will i be able to use it? Is it worth the extra money? Any info for bettre or worse would be great!
    T.I.A
    02-11-10 03:36 PM
    Once you go Mac, you never look back.
    02-11-10 07:40 PM
    I'm running XP Pro in Parallels on my Mac Book Pro. I prefer MS Access to FileMaker Pro. Try running Mac OS on your PC.

Do a google search for screencastsonline and you will get up and running with video tutorials in no time.

Is it worth the extra money. It's a matter of your needs I guess. To me, it's worth every penny for the extra cost.

I'm not about to start a Mac vs PC thing here, like I said, I also have a need for a PC, but I do get tired of helping friends and family "fix their PC's" because of all the virus infections they get.
    02-11-10 09:16 PM
    The only thing I ever bootcamp over to windows for is Onenote and to change my blackberry os (leaked versions). I find mac to be incredibly usable and, in my opinion, the extra cost is justified by the greater battery life and the removal of the headache that i've gotten with every pc lol
    02-12-10 06:59 AM
    you will get used to it after a week or so. you just have to get used to installing applications by mounthin dmg's and dragging the icon to the application folder. lol i remember the first time i was using the mac cube. lol
    02-12-10 11:49 AM
    Yep, the Mac OS is wonderful. Apple.com has easy videos and tutorials, as does youtube.

The thing is to STOP thinking in terms of 'how do I do this' via Windows, just think "what do I want to do" and do it. Yes, it really is that intuitive.
    02-13-10 03:00 PM
    Once you go Mac, you never look back.
    haha I like that!

I've always been a mac user. My first computer was a mac, an iBook G3 800mhz! I sold that and upgraded to an iMac G4. Apple just knows what they are doing. They make quality built products with the newest hardware and software that run seamlessly together. Mac OS X is the sleekest and most elegant OS out there, it just works it's fluid and easy to use!

Aluminum Unibody! Get yourself a macbook pro. Macs are great investments, you will still be using the one you buy 5 years from now (if you don't upgrade or sell). I still have my iMac G4! I bought the 17 inch top of the line model and yes I know that this computer is ancient but it still handles every website that I need it to just fine. I even find myself watching hulu and youtube on it quite a bit (granted it can't handle HD but for a 6 year old computer it still works great) so if you are looking for a mac go for it!

Also if you find yourself missing windows (trust me you won't) you can run any version of Windows natively on your mac via bootcamp!
    02-14-10 04:22 PM
    Man this thread rocks. I have been on windows all my life. But always dreamed of a mac. I'm saving up atm for a mac pro

Lemme know how u find the change OP

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-10 04:29 PM
    I find mac to be incredibly usable and, in my opinion, the extra cost is justified by the greater battery life and the removal of the headache that i've gotten with every pc
    My thoughts exactly. I switched to a mac in 2007, got a 15" MBP and it's been great so far. I used it in school while I was in a college of business that taught and strictly used PC's (windows) and never had any problems. Just got Snow Leopard and I'm loving the new OS (switched from Tiger). If you do need to run a program that windows only, you still have the option of booting windows in boot camp, so why not switch...
    02-15-10 03:01 AM
    Man this thread rocks. I have been on windows all my life. But always dreamed of a mac. I'm saving up atm for a mac pro
    I have always had Windows and spent two years wanting a Mac. I am writing this on my 13 inch MBP and I adore it. Next laptop I buy (in like 5 years or so I guess) will also be a Mac. Windows is just not an option anymore.

As someone said, I use Windows only to load new OS on my 8900. Mac is here for everything else, and I love it, love it, love it. It took me like 4 days to get used to the OS and a little bit longer to get used to the USA keyboard layout (My Mac was bought in Texas and brought to Croatia) and now my Mac, my Berry and I are all best friends. They don't play together, I play with them both.

tazrus, if you're thinking about it - just go ahead and get it. You will not regret it, I have yet to see one person say "I bought this Mac but the OS sucks and I don't wanna use it, I'd rather have Windows". I know a lot of people that like Macs but think they're not worth the price. That's okay, to each his own, but people that actually bought them always say "Yes, they're expensive, but I'd do it again".
    02-15-10 06:03 AM
    HI
    Thanks for the replies! Im excited! I believe I am going to get the MBP 13in. and I will update when I get.

Now if my damn tax refund would get here!!!!!!!!!
    02-15-10 07:17 AM
    My thoughts exactly. I switched to a mac in 2007, got a 15" MBP and it's been great so far. I used it in school while I was in a college of business that taught and strictly used PC's (windows) and never had any problems. Just got Snow Leopard and I'm loving the new OS (switched from Tiger). If you do need to run a program that windows only, you still have the option of booting windows in boot camp, so why not switch...
    Or you can use something like virtualbox (free from Sun) to install windows and run it right inside of OSX. I've been doing this for over a year and it works great. The only drawback is, it's slower than if you boot directly into Windows.
    02-15-10 08:48 PM
    HI
    Thanks for the replies! Im excited! I believe I am going to get the MBP 13in. and I will update when I get.

Now if my damn tax refund would get here!!!!!!!!!
    First thing you do when you get it is to go into Safari, open the preferences, choose the general tab, and turn off "Open 'safe' files after downloading."

I don't know why Apple leaves this turned on. If you download an app, it'll open it and possibly run it on your computer. You DON'T want this turned on.
    02-15-10 08:54 PM
    Been a mac user since 2006 and i have never looked back. I went to college for Business Administration with a double major in Visual Communications (graphic arts) and this MBP has been a god send. I have been in the blackberry community for a while and just now (tonight actually) i am thinking of getting bootcamp up and going so i can download some hybrids for my storm2. But before then, i have never ever thought of needing windows.

Go for it!! You will love it.
    02-16-10 12:07 AM
    I just switched to Mac a couple of weeks ago after being a PC user all my life.Let me just tell you i am so glad i made the switch...took me about a week to get used to but now i am happy as a clam.I decided to go with a Mac Mini with a 23" widescreen and let me just tell you this thing blows Windows right out of the water.If i do need to do something in windows i do have a laptop running Windows 7 so bootcamp is irrelevant to me.God its so nice not worrying about updating antivirus too!!!!
    02-16-10 04:21 PM
    To the op as well as anyone else who may be wondering about MACs, I've used both MAC and Windows. Are MACs worth the money? Depends on your needs. Well actually it doesn't depend on your needs. It depends if you want to go against the grain and have the money you need for one. (J/K)

In all honesty: Windows machines can do everything MACs can do, MACs can do everything Windows can do but only after installing some variant of Windows. And to all the remarks about viruses, there's plenty of free anti-virus programs that auto-update that are enough to keep you out of trouble so that point isn't really a point.

MACs are definitely pretty, and intuitive, spaces is an outright amazing idea, but honestly MACs are not that special. If you are looking for tremendous battery life out of a laptop, MACs are the only way to go. No Windows machine will ever compare until Microsoft makes their own laptops. And even then, MACs will be so far ahead that Windows still wont catch up in terms of battery life. The only feasible way for Windows machines to catch up to MACs in battery life terms is for battery technology to advance. This is happening but it just costs too much to become mainstream (yet). The technology is out there, but I wouldn't expect to see it come to MACs or Windows machines for at least another 10 years.

If you just want the UI of a MAC, there are programs for Windows that can do that for you for a lot less then buying a MAC. Google is your friend.

In all honesty, those who say "MACs are hands down better than Windows" and "Windows isn't an option" are just fan-boys and/or are suffering from the placebo effect. MACs are nice, they do have less viruses out there, but if you know anything about computers you should be able to stay virus free.

Also, something to keep in mind about the uni-body MBPs is if your battery ever dies, you have to take it in to replace otherwise your warranty is out the door. A lot of people don't consider that until it's too late. If you take care of your MBP though you shouldn't have battery problems until well after the original warranty is up but understand it could happen to you.

If you catch a nice deal on a MAC go for it, at full price it isn't worth it. An Alienware PC or Dell XPS or other top-notch PC would be better it terms of power and programs you could run but would only give you 4-6 hours of battery life depending on usage.

Bottom-line, do your own research. If someone tells you "Windows is hands down better" or "MACs are hands down better" its best to ignore them and move on to the next review. Neither are simply better than the other.

It is very hard to come across unbiased reviews or opinions but you can find them. Good luck.
    02-16-10 04:51 PM
    I bought my first Mac two months ago and just love it. I got the 27" quad core machine. When you cost out a comparable PC with a 27" ultra sharp type monitor and the very good and useful software that comes with the iMac they fairly comparable in price as well. I have been able to find Mac software for everything I had on my PC.

I just rebuilt my husband's Vista machine because it was totally trashed viruses. The free virus, ad-ware and spybot stuff is not all that effective. And I got tired of trying to stay on top of all that, getting 15 critical updates every day from Windows, and having the machines get slower and slower every day.

So I decided to try a Mac when it was time to replace my machine. It is everything I hoped it would be. It has been a breeze to learn. If you get one I think you will love it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-10 09:25 PM
    mac is awesome.
    02-20-10 10:59 PM
    I just switched three days ago. I have been using and working on computers since the TRS-80 and was a die hard Windows person, albeit XP. I have worked on Vista and a little on 7.

I had no calendar the Blackberry Bold would sync with on the PC. I was missing the ease with which my old Palm Pilot synced. My video editing software, Ulead Media Studio Pro was no longer supported so if I went to a Windows 7 machine I would have to buy a new editing package. I needed a new computer since after 4 1/2 years mine was not reliable. I travel constantly and the laptop took a beating. I just replaced its fan last month and on my trip last week it stopped working for a different reason. I had it tore apart on my bed trying to get the fan to work. The computer was a great computer and I'll keep it working but I couldn't trust it anymore.

I require Firewire, bluetooth and sound capable of using soundfonts. Basically the only readily available PC with bluetooth and firewire is a Sony. The Mac had both and I am able to use soundfonts with Garage Band. On the Sony I would have to buy an adapter for my PCMCIA soundcard or buy new software. With the Mac I could use what came with it.

For the Blackberry, I got it home, a 13 inch MacBook Pro, downloaded the Blackberry Desktop Manager, plugged in the phone, set the sync options and synced. Total time from the beginning of the install to finishing the first sync was under 10 minutes, probably closer to five. It simply worked. Everything synced perfectly.

Now when syncing, I plug in the phone, the Desktop Manager opens, and I sync, usually less than a minute involved from the moment I plug it in to disconnecting the Bold.

The only issue I had was with Quicken Essentials 2010 for Mac, it is horrible. I ended up installing the 2008 Deluxe version for Windows in a virtual machine using Parallels and it works perfectly. That is not a Mac issue, it is an Intuit issue, the Mac version seems to be lacking by comparison. Quicken for Mac updated the other night so I will try it again later, but until they do a substantial update I'll run the Windows version.

After building computers for many years, I will say I love the Mac, and I used to be extremely anti-Mac. I began to change my thinking once they went to a Unix based OS.

I have gotten very tired of the way Microsoft handles programs, throwing files everywhere and its convoluted registry. If you have to reinstall the OS, you then have to reinstall all your programs. On the Mac, you can back up your programs through your profile, reinstall the OS and then restore your programs. Gee, sort of like the way OS2 worked, with the exception that with OS2 you didn't have to back up the applications, once you reinstalled the OS a utility looked for installed apps.

Program installation is quicker and easier on the Mac, and everything simply works. I have no regrets. I haven't set up a computer so quickly in years.

Phil
    02-21-10 10:08 AM
    Hi All,
    Thank you so much for the replies! I am hoping my tax refund comes this week. I have done as much research as I think I can. I even went to bestbuy and played on the MBP and the Sony. Both seem to be very nice. My husband does not went to sent so much on a MAC when I can get the Sony about $300 or so cheaper. But I think I like the MBP better.

Also something interesting if anyones interested>the Bestbuy service/warrenty seems to to be much better then what you can get from Apple.

Anyway as with most things it will be a money thing but I am really leaning towards the MAC.

Thanks Again!
    02-21-10 03:31 PM
    I'm in the same boat. Will be jumping on the Macbook Pro bandwagon soon.
    02-21-10 06:47 PM
    I am also a convert. Just bought an Imac 27" i7 about 3 weeks ago . It is not hard getting use to this system, even for an old fart like me.
    02-21-10 10:45 PM
    I just switched to Mac a couple of weeks ago after being a PC user all my life.Let me just tell you i am so glad i made the switch...took me about a week to get used to but now i am happy as a clam.I decided to go with a Mac Mini with a 23" widescreen and let me just tell you this thing blows Windows right out of the water.If i do need to do something in windows i do have a laptop running Windows 7 so bootcamp is irrelevant to me.God its so nice not worrying about updating antivirus too!!!!
    That is exactly my setup lol, Mac Mini with 4GB's ram and 23" widescreen 1080p hdmi monitor and I LOVE it! Have you noticed how FAST it starts up (restarts etc)compared to PC.. wow.
    02-25-10 04:11 PM
    HI All,
    I got my MBP! OMG! I love it! I am still trying to figure stuff out but really I have only had it a few hours! I am so happy with it!

The quality is so much better then
    I expected as is the ease of use. The backlit screen is SO nice!

Happy MAC person here....now I gotta try and sync my BB Tour to it.
    02-25-10 07:00 PM
    The only time I ever touch my PC now is to up date leaked firmware onto my BB, otherwise it is MAC all the way.
    02-25-10 07:13 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD