12-16-08 11:14 AM
31 12
tools
    Ok...just curious as to how some of you are doing GTD with a MAC & BB. I just got my Curve and love it. I have a MAC Book Pro and was wondering if some of you are using Google for all of your GTD from your BB? Or using resident software like Omnifocus and using a work around?

Thoughts?
    08-28-08 02:02 PM
    this might be a stupid question, but what is GTD?
    08-28-08 02:58 PM
    no...not at all. It's the Getting Things Done methodology by David Allen.
    08-28-08 03:02 PM
    oh, i'll have to look it up online to see what you're talking about then... i just looked at the post because i have a mac! once i look it up i'll write back again haha
    08-28-08 03:09 PM
    Ok...just curious as to how some of you are doing GTD with a MAC & BB. I just got my Curve and love it. I have a MAC Book Pro and was wondering if some of you are using Google for all of your GTD from your BB? Or using resident software like Omnifocus and using a work around?

Thoughts?
    I'm using the NextAction product on my BB. It seems to be pretty well equipped foe the GTD methodology, allowing me to assign a 'context' to each action (such as '@computer' or 'errands') and I can also specify a project for each item. I wish there was even more functionality though, and I'm eager to see how others integrate their BB into GTD.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-08 03:10 PM
    I got the perfect solution for you, RexWireless ToDoMatrix. It syncs wirelessly with your BB, and there is also a web app that you can log onto and make changes. The app is a little on the pricey side, but it works flawlessly and the tech support when needed is awesome.

REXwireless: BlackBerry Software Applications
    08-28-08 10:47 PM
    Hmmm....

I have To Do Matrix... and Idea Matrix. I never really got going with To Do Matrix. But I find Idea Matrix IDEAL for stashing.. well .. ideas. Xmas present lists. House projects etc... But both of them have a really ugly user interface..IMHO

I WANT to like Omnifocus - it looks WAY more sophisticated. And I feel I need that extra help it seems to offer. I have the trial version but must admit I haven't gotten going with it. An uber nerd best friend of mine loves it and the other research I have done so far gives me hope that its perhaps the best program for me...

So lets keep the GTD discussion going!

Here is something

what to do with blackberry? - The Omni Group Forums

I was wondering - with improved browsers on BB's (and WiFi connections...) perhaps we might be able to use the WEB interface of Omnifocus soon???

If only To Do Matrix wasn't so damn ugly looking... Even the BB side of it is laid out in a dreary hard to figure out fashion..

You CAN email tasks to Omnifocus. I think you add key words in the subject line and the Program recognizes the key words and stashes the emailed task instruction in the right place...

Come on folks! Lets figure this out!

Best wishes BB comrades..!
    11-25-08 10:50 AM
    I use a moleskin to record most tasks.

Any task with a due date is put into the BB Tasks and they are subsequently put onto the calendar. .

Google Calendar synch's with BB (Can't seem to get the Tasks onto google calandar though.)
    11-25-08 12:42 PM
    OK (feel like I am walking into a well set trap...)

What is a moleskin?

11-25-08 06:07 PM
    A moleskin is a type of pocket notebook you can pick-up here in the states at a Barnes & Noble
    11-26-08 12:08 AM
    I use Rexwireless ToDoMatrix and IdeaMatrix. Doesn't look pretty but it definitely gets the jobs done and then some. They also offer AlertMatrix, which I also have but don't use.

Before that I used moleskin and fountain pen (I like writing with fountain pens), but I was always worried about losing the moleskin.
    Last edited by LVampa; 11-26-08 at 01:15 AM.
    11-26-08 01:02 AM
    A moleskin is a type of pocket notebook you can pick-up here in the states at a Barnes & Noble
    Ouch!

I use Rexwireless ToDoMatrix and IdeaMatrix. Doesn't look pretty but it definitely gets the jobs done and then some. They also offer AlertMatrix, which I also have but don't use.

Before that I used moleskin and fountain pen (I like writing with fountain pens), but I was always worried about losing the moleskin.
    Hmmm..

I really want to toss too do text (from Mac Mail while working on my Laptop) into a program.. The Leopard To Do's are pretty nifty.. But I haven't found PocketMac SYNC particularly good at getting them to my BB..

If I can toss them over from emails I get while on my BB - that's also good too.

How can I toss over stuff from Mac Mail to ToDoMatrix..?? (heading over to their site now..)

Gahh... what to do..? (no pun intended!)
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 11-26-08 at 08:13 AM.
    11-26-08 08:10 AM
    11-26-08 08:17 AM
    OK, I remember now why I never got going with ToDoMatrix - its confusing..

..Or a bit like going back to school.(for me)

I feel its worth my while trying to learn it (as I already forked out for 18 months of it and IdeaMatrix a while ago...)

I will be going in deep..

Let ya know how I get on - on the flip..

If you are uber sharp / a tech nerd its probably a walk in the park.. but for me...

doh!
    11-28-08 06:39 PM
    I like to keep things simple, so I just keep everything in one ToDoMatrix folder for the tasks (old habit from using a moleskin). The alarm features are nice, and I use those to keep things from slipping through the cracks. It's worth the $$ to me to get the OTA backups and web access. For projects it's a bit more detail and IdeaMatrix is great for that.

FYI, you can copy your emails into either IdeaMatrix or ToDoMatrix with several options on what gets copied. And of course, there is always cut and paste.
    11-28-08 06:50 PM
    OK - I am inching forward making progress..

I AM ON BIS by the way (I am a one man business - with a 1 x Laptop and 1 x BB) - Therefore I don't presently have all the fancy calendar / task sync functions that all the BES folks are probably totally used to - please bear with me as I crawl out of my darkened cave into the light ok?!

I have discovered a few things.

But first some hopes and wishes.

I first read approximately 50% of email on my Mac and the other 50% on my BB while away from my laptop. 60% of my ToDo's are captured text from emails I get.

Email - "we want to buy 20 widgets, please get in touch with us, thank you"

I make that text a ToDo..

PROBLEM 1 - the lack of instant sync between my Mac and my BB emails - has me: reading emails twice and my replies sent from one aren't linked nicely on the other..

CURE - Perhaps I really need to look a hosted 'mini BES' like this Blackberry Simply Mail Solutions – Hosted Exchange , Exchange Hosting , Business Email or server based or IMAP email - I set my wife up with ZimbraCS SMS Zimbra Collaboration Suite hosted by Simply Mail Solutions for her mail and calendar and and it works v well to keep her laptop and desktop 'totally the same' in respect of calendar and email. Its amazing, you type an email on one machine, scratch you chin for a few seconds and it has been saved as a draft on the OTHER machine. You could decide to make a cup of coffee in between composing an email and go finish it off on the other machine! Awesome.. (sorry to ramble for those that already know the power of IMAP email and DAV sync Mac Calandars..) Folks using BES probably ALREADY have this service.. But in BIS it is NOT standard.. And I am a BIS person at the moment.

PROBLEM 2 - I like to make quick ToDo's from my Mac email in box using Mac Mail's (Leopard) highlight & send to ToDo function. How to get these ToDo's over to ToDoMatrix when the web portal of TDM isnt linkable to MacMail.. (that I know of..)

CURE: the new BETA of ToDoMatrix will now import from BB Tasks.. This offers a breakthrough!
    Here is how it would work.

Email - highlight text - makes a MacMail ToDo
    PocketMac syncs MacMail ToDo's to BB tasks (this is a rather boring sync with a USB cable and takes about 10 mins... boring kind of..)
    (the new beta version of) ToDoMatrix picks up BB tasks

That is a NEW function and is encouraging!

(BTW if it isn't obvious what I am trying to avoid is doing a zillion cut (from MacMail) and pastes (into the web interface of ToDoMatrix) I want something real easy and the highlight and create a ToDo in Leopard is GREAT IMHO.

ALREADY WORKING - of course while out and about using my BB I can inject email text - into ToDoMatrix

ALREADY WORKING - I haven't tested this - but I understand that if you send (or forward) ANY email to your BB with the prefix "TDM" in the subject line - it lands in an 'unfiled' folder in ToDoMatrix... This may well work out to be the QUICKEST way to get my email text into ToDoMatrixAnd I could perhaps do this rather than the hardware cable sync each time.. (as I could see that getting old very FAST..)

So... I feel I am getting somewhere..

HOME - Forward my todo emails to ToDoMatrix while working on my laptop - organize / refine (GTD etc) via on-line version of ToDoMatrix

AWAY FROM HOME - Inject them from BB inbox to ToDoMatrix while away from laptop (organize / refine (GTD etc) with BB or back at home on Laptop / on-line version of ToDoMatrix

BIG HELPER
    - Get a mini BES solution so as not to reprocess / double check emails I have already seen.

I cant do ALL my data processing on my BB (wife would kill me.. er... more? and my thumbs would fall off) I really need to be using my laptop for a lot of this

OK - how am I doing?

Thoughts or suggestions gratefully received..
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 12-02-08 at 07:21 PM.
    12-02-08 06:22 PM
    HOME - Forward my todo emails to ToDoMatrix while working on my laptop - organize / refine (GTD etc) via on-line (web) version of ToDoMatrix
    Hmmm.. I just realized that this will rely on my BB to receive the email (and my BB's ToDoMatrix to pick it up an drop it into the 'unfiled' folder - before I can hop over to the on-line web version of ToDoMatrix and continue working.. Hopefully the 'push' email will be snappy enough!
    12-02-08 07:15 PM
    Since we are throwing stuff out there, take a look at Highrise from 37 Signals. It is a very simple yet powerful CRM. I have been using it for about a year and I love it. One of the nice features is that you can email stuff to your Highrise account, and it gets attached to that contact. Works OK with a BB, works awesome with the iPhone's browser. I also use another one of their products called Backpack. I work on commercial swimming pools, and I keep an inventory of all my clients equipment and weird parts.

Simple small business software, collaboration, CRM: 37signals
    12-03-08 12:34 AM
    Thanks I am looking into that..

Hmmm... Its gradually dawning on me that I should really be moving over from BIS to BES..

anyhow thats a subject for a new (or another existing thread..)
    12-03-08 09:03 AM
    HOLD THE BUS!!!

More web surfing results...

It looks like the next version of Mac software Snow Leopard - will have Microsoft Exchange BUILT IN.

And the Mac Calendar, Address book and Mail programs - will all play ball with it.

Technology pundits are predicting this will spell the end of Entourage (and my research is telling me that Entourage has always lagged a few years behind Outlook and that people get annoyed by its lack of 'modern' features)

Snow Leopard is expected Q1 or Q2 2009

So there could possibly be a Mac flavor of BES where you DONT have to use Entourage.
    12-04-08 03:31 AM
    I use Google Sync for my calendar between my iCal, google cal, and BlackBerry Pearl. For my tasks, I paid the $25 for access to Remember the Milk. RTM is a great task application with a web interface that is phenomenal, I think. As far as contacts, right now I am just syncing through Missing Sync when I remember. I am going to try the updated Google Sync, which offers contact sync, when I can find the courage. I have heard people complain about losing all of their contacts through the new Google Sync. I hope they come out with a fix for that...Anyone know if they have?
    12-04-08 02:43 PM
    Thanks for the insight..

Mmm, yeah.. still all seems like us Mac users have to all use less than ideal set ups..
    12-04-08 02:53 PM
    Using the new beta of ToDoMatrix 2008 I managed this today.

Apple Mac todos (Created in Leopard, Mac Mail)
    pocketMac - sync - to BB Tasks
    BB Tasks - Imported into ToDoMatrix

I am pretty pleased with that!

Next I have to figure out how to move those from the TDM 'unfiled' folder (way down in the system area) - over to the actual folders I want them to be in. (so far I can do it on the web interface, but not on my BB)

Check it out!
    12-11-08 07:33 PM
    Gah...

I have decided to try a more simple approach.

Here is my DIY GTD location specific Mac OSX LEOPARD todo & BB Tasks method that will sync with Pocket Mac (and I am sure The Missing Sync)

On your Mac

Step 1 - In iCal Create a new calendar group (you are never going to use it in iCal but bear with me)
    Step 2 - Create as many new calendars as you need task groups. For example I created the following calendars

Workday 1 (my top priority)
    Workday 2 (my mid priority)
    Workday 3 (my low priority)
    Family
    Domestic
    Errands

Don't worry you are never going to use these as actual calendars! I color coded all of mine white and then collapsed the calendar group so I never have to see them when looking at my calendar. Also remove todo's from the calendar view options if you like

The way you make your todo's on you Mac - will be in Mac Mail All the work you did (and then hid) on iCal has all become your new todo task categories!

So to make a new task - either highlight the text in an email and hit the gold todo 'tick' icon in Mail or simply hit the todo button at the top of mail to make a new to do, type your own text and select what category it should be in from the dropdown list ie...

Workday 1 (top priority)
    Workday 2 (mid priority)
    Workday 3 (low priority)
    Family
    Domestic
    Errands

On your Blackberry

If this is a fresh start - clear out all the tasks in TASKS also clear out any OLD BB task categories. (its in the Tasks options somewhere...)

In PocketMac, select iCal and in the TASKS advanced option area- make sure all the new task you created are selected

Do a sync - and all the Mac created ToDos will transfer over to your BB. On your BB!, in Tasks you can then use the filter function to show you what you want to see - so if you were near stores you would filter for Errands and you would see that you need to pick up light bulbs and a birthday card etc..

Power user tip: I HAVEN'T GOT ANY! (I just figured this out an hour ago!) but I have the ignore completed items ticked on my Pocket Mac sync options - I am hoping that way old 'done' items don't get continuously transferred etc... (because that is our BB & Mac users nightmare - duplicates or redundant data after a sync..)

OK its real basic - its not OTA (over the air) its needs a USB cable, perhaps obvious to some - but I think I am going to stick with it.

It has a GTD vibe (Getting Things Done, its a book buy it) in that I can quickly make to do's, files them with a category / where to do the task "context", ie @work @home @the store etc...

Let me know what you think....

It possible to grade tasks on the mac via hi / lo / priorities but I doubt if those will sync with the BB.

I am also finding disabling Isync with my .Mac account on Pocket Mac speeds up syncing..

Early days..
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 12-12-08 at 10:39 AM.
    12-12-08 07:14 AM
    I doesnt ******* work!
    12-12-08 11:00 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD