I will continue to update this thread as I learn new things. In theory, this thread should help save an inexperienced user a lot of headache (trial and error, and research). Hopefully, some of readers of this thread will have some new tips and tricks for syncing that they can share with the rest of us.

DISCLAIMER: The author of this post makes no warranties, express or implied, and any reader of this post is deemed to have knowingly and voluntarily accepted any and all risks associated with failing to back up all data (in a safe location) before syncing a BlackBerry with a computer -- FIRST BACKUP YOUR DATA !!!!!!

[NOTE: RIM pulled DesktopManager for Mac version 1.0.3 (build 16) from the shelf because it caused the word of users a whole lot of grief.]

[NOTE: This author needs to insert another work around in this thread -- i.e., having two calendars on the Mac (tasks and events) and changing all of the tasks from the tasks calendar to the events calendar and back again to the tasks calendar -- by highlighting all of the tasks in Mail.app and changing them in one fell swoop. This workaround has the effect of forcing Mail.app / iCal to overwrite SyncServices with dated tasks, which makes the tasks show up correctly in BusyCal.]

For those BlackBerry users that would prefer to avoid the synching nightmare, options include a plain old spreadsheet, text file, word processing document (e.g., bullet-points, etc.), and/or a manual calendar.

Some users have chosen to create multiple calendars on their Mac and have those calendars sync to their BlackBerries as categories. It is my understanding that the MissingSync facilitates that goal.

Users that rely upon DesktopManager for Mac by BlackBerry, are condemned to live a lonely life here on Earth without using categories. For organization purposes, tasks on the BlackBerry should have a title / subject heading containing the pseudo-category name (in my case, each client name is used; 'last_first -- insert description of the title/subject of the task'), and 12:00 a.m. should be the default time for every due date (unless it is a "someday" task that is undated). Categories are not supported in iCal (unless they are treated as separate calendars, discussed hereinabove) -- modifying a task on the Mac will cause the time (due date) to change to 12:00 a.m. (if it was initially synchronized from the BlackBerry as something else). Unless a user wants an alarm / reminder a day or more before a task is due, the alarm / reminder must be "dated" (with a time subsequent to 12:00 a.m.) and NOT "relative" (number of hours before) for alarms / reminders that go off on the day a task is due.

There is a bug in DesktopManager for Mac that prevents BusyCal from properly synchronizing dated tasks that were created on the BlackBerry -- requiring a user to reset the BusyCal sync every time a new task is created on the BlackBerry and synchronized with iCal. [BusyCal initially sees timed tasks that come from the BlackBerry as GMT instead of PST, and the tasks show up in BusyCal as being due one day EARLIER than the actual due date.] I have submitted a bug report to the both of the C.E.O. of Research in Motion, and have been in contact with a customer service representative who assures me that the bug report has been documented and that the development team for DesktopManager for Mac is aware of it now -- however, it is the opinion of this author that it is an extremely low priority (which is a shame because BusyCal is in my opinion the best for my business needs).

DesktopManager for Mac does not properly convert BlackBerry "timed tasks" into iCal "dated tasks" -- Desktop Manager for Mac is pushing dated tasks to Sync Services with the following flag set to zero:

"due date is date only" = 0;

When that flag is set to zero, dated tasks are going to look like timed tasks in BusyCal. Timed tasks are only partially supported in BusyCal, and not at all in iCal. It is likely that iCal is changing the "timed tasks" into "dated tasks" later, and that's why resetting BusyCal pulls in the corrected data. The best solution would be to have Blackberry set the flag properly.

Observation: Mail.app in OSX 10.5 appears to be buggy in terms of the way the tasks sync with iCal -- modifications of tasks made in BusyCal are correctly reflected within iCal, however, Mail.app task view maintains a "ghost" of a task that may no longer exist, or of a task before it was modified. Mail.app with OSX 10.6 seems to do much better than OSX 10.5 on this issue.

Desktop Manager (Mac) for BlackBerry is a mandatory two-way sync, which can result in database errors with contacts / tasks / events being out of sync due to frequent computer switching -- i.e., desktops, laptops, etc. One idea would be to designate the BlackBerry as the master database (backup up frequently with Desktop Manager for Mac) and to delete the following information on the computer before synching the BlackBerry with Desktop Manager (Mac). [FIRST BACKUP YOUR DATA !!!!!! -- the following is for experienced users ONLY, who have PREVIOUSLY backed-up ALL data in a safe location -- FIRST BACKUP YOUR DATA !!!!!!]:

1. Address Book -- Go into the Address Book, highlight all the address cards and delete them all.

2. Navigate to the folder ~Users/Library/Calendars, and delete the entire contents.

3. Navigate to ~Users/Library/Application Support/SyncServices, and delete the entire contents.

4. Navigate to ~Users/Library/Application Support/BusyCal, and delete BusyCal.bsql

5. Reboot, and empty the trash.

6. [Notes in Mail.app / Memo in BlackBerry -- I do not use Memo except for something briefly that is later deleted, but it does have syncing ability with Mail.app and Entourage.]

[To make this process less time consuming, a user might want to set up alias links to the relevant folders in the main directory (e.g., with a "0." in front of the name) to easily locate and delete the contents thereof-- e.g., 0.Calendars; 0.SyncServices; 0.BusyCal.]

NOTE -- The author of this post has not yet verified whether DesktopManager for Mac version 1.0.2 also suffers from the following bug that was seen when using version 1.0.3 (build 16).; however, the workaround applies to both versions and it is easier for organization purposes if tasks are different colors than events.): There is an issue syncing with two (2) calendars (home and work) when using BusyCal (version 1.2.3); iCal (version 4.0.2 -- 1379); and BlackBerry Desktop Manager (Version 1.0.3 -- build 16); running on Snow Leopard 10.6.3. After resetting the BusyCal database to put it into sync with the iCal database (to fix the out of sync by one day task issue between GMT and PST discussed in this thread), there is a possibility the events that were initially synced to one calendar, will want to sync to the other calendar when using DesktopManager -- resulting in duplicate entries of all events. [Please note that it is normal for the BusyCal resetting to cause DesktopManager to modify all events from an "empty" classification, to a "public" classification.] One way around the double event syncing dilemma is as follows: Use the default "Home" calendar in iCal for Events, and use the default "Work" calendar in iCal for Tasks -- alternatively, you can delete one of the calendars in iCal so that only one calendar is used for both tasks and events. One idea would be to change the label and color of the "Home" calendar to "events" [color red], and the "Work" calendar to "tasks" [color black]. DesktopManager can be set up so that Calendar section is set to "events" for "Add events created on BlackBerry device to"; and set DesktopManger so that Tasks section is set to "tasks" for "Add tasks created on BlackBerry device to". Upon deletion of all tasks / events as described above and rebooting, the first attempt to start DesktopManager will yield an error to recognize the calendars (you can see the calendars in the DesktopManager window changing names and colors [as if to say "confusion alert"] -- just close DesktopManager and reopen it again (make sure iCal and BusyCal and Mail.app are closed when doing this operation); repeat the open / close DesktopManager dance after resetting the database with BusyCal and also reset the tasks section of Desktop Manager to the "tasks" database for the section entitled "Add tasks created on BlackBerry device to" (resetting the BusyCal database causes the tasks section of DesktopManager to revert back to the first calendar at the top of the list, which is events instead of tasks) -- this will avoid syncing errors. To save time, leave the DesktopManager window set to display the tasks settings so that it is easier that setting back to sync with the tasks database as needed. The events seem to want to sync with the first calendar in the DesktopManager list, which by default is the iCal "Home" calendar -- it makes sense to follow what the application naturally wants wants to do (i.e., making the first calendar at the top of the list for events), and then there is no issue with duplicates.

Google has not yet released to the world of developers a method of syncing tasks; and the BlackBerry task application of Google is still in beta with an inability to sync due dates and notes.

BusyCal can be configured to use the iCal database and sync with Google.

Here is an option some users are experimenting with (NOTE: In my initial testing, AppigoSync rendered Desktop Manager for Mac inoperative, making it impossible to do things like back-up data and sync with that utility):

1. Mac -- BusyCal ("events" synchronized with Google calendar), and Appigo Sync ("tasks" syncing with Toodledo) [beta]).

2. BlackBerry -- PocketInformant 2.1 ("tasks" syncing with Toodledo) [beta], and "events" syncing with Google Sync calendar.

[NOTE: Toodledo has a plugin for Outlook on a Windows PC.]

Microsoft has an exciting new public beta for Office 2010 with Outlook, which should be sold in stores in a few months. Desktop Manager for PC syncs with Outlook, and Appigo Sync (Windows beta) has a Toodledo plugin for Outlook. PocketInformant 2.1 (beta) syncs with Toodledo (via wifi, or standard cell phone data usage). PocketInformant can sync in one or two directions with the main PIM database of the BlackBerry (depending upon a user preference).

PocketMac (version 4, and version 5): PocketMac may be a viable solution for many users who use iCal, Entourage, Lotus Notes, Daylite, Address Book, Stickies. Unfortunately, I am presently out of luck with my BlackBerry 9700 (v5.0.0.405 -- platform 5.1.0.112) and OSX (intel versions 10.5.7, 10.5.8, and 10.6.3). PocketMac version 4 does not recognize the device through USB and there is no update for my unit. PocketMac version 5 (PMBB5.01, build 248; and also PMBB5.0, build 238) incorrectly converts the due dates for ALL tasks to "Tomorrow" (which makes it unusable for my needs considering I have about 200 tasks with due dates spread out over a period of about 12 months). I have submitted a bug report for PocketMac version 5, and I am being pleasantly persistent -- I have also submitted a feature request for version 5 to please include a "check for updates" button (which is missing), and a request for a link on their website to list the current version number / build and release notes (so that I can know before downloading and installing whether it is worth making another attempt at installation and syncing).

MissingSync (version 2.0.2, and version 2.0.3): The MissingSync may be a viable solution for many users who want to sync with iCal and Address Book. Unfortunately, I am presently out of luck with my BlackBerry 9700 (v5.0.0.405 -- platform 5.1.0.112) and OSX (intel versions 10.5.7, 10.5.8, and 10.6.3). Versions 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 do not maintain a USB connection with the Bold 9700 mass storage media card (i.e., disk), which unmounts improperly when accessing the media card. I experienced duplicate entries of work telephone numbers and anniversaries when syncing contacts to Address Book with version 2.0.2. Version 2.0.3 HANGS when syncing tasks using OSX 10.5.8. Version 2.0.3 syncs all tasks to iCal as being one day EARLIER than the actual due date. I have submitted bug reports and am being pleasantly persistent. MissingSync seems promising because the timed tasks on the BlackBerry are correctly converted by the MissingSync to tasks that are due at midnight (iCal standard), and BusyCal reads the iCal database without the need of resetting the sync as set forth hereinabove.

Calendaring Programs for the Mac (some sync, and some do not): iCal; BusyCal; Entourage; Dejumble; EasyTaskManager; Contactizer Pro; Today; Things; DayLite; Omnifocus; GeekTool and icalBuddy; iClockPro; TheHitList; Menu Calendar Clock; iSlayer; Pluto; DoBeDo; iCalEvents; Lotus Notes; Anxiety; iDeskCal; Agenda; Now X (out of business); DayChaser; Rainlendar; and Novell Groupwise.
    Last edited by lawlist; 09-29-10 at 10:09 AM.
    05-09-10 10:44 PM
    Hi,

I use Entourage simply because it does does sync with BlackBerry categories. I use Pocket Mac 4.

Pocket Mac 5 lists support for the Bold 9700.

-- Robert.
    05-10-10 05:50 AM
    Thank you (rob7100g) for the helpful comments. I have revised the first post in this thread accordingly. This is a work in progress.
    05-10-10 10:56 AM
    Ever heard of bullet-points dude? lol... no offense!
    05-15-10 04:37 PM
    Thank you, ME-BB-Avid, for your post. You actually hit the nail on the head -- viable options include word processing documents, text files and spreadsheets to manage tasks and events. I have added a sentence into the main post for users who might prefer the old fashioned method, or simply want to have a manual back-up (just in case).
    05-15-10 06:25 PM
    Well here are some of the issues that I originally had with sync/backing up my bb.
    #1. Could not complete a full backup. Backup would always hangup when it got to the bbgroups portion.
    Solution: complete two partial backups. I backup with everything selected but the bbgroups, and the 2nd backup for just the bbgroups.

#2. Calendar not syncing. Some weird kb... Error.
    Solution: change the cical, and the cmime options to a primary email address. (Options, advanced options, default services) works great now.

Maybe these will help someone and maybe they won't. But they worked for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-10 11:29 PM
    OK. If I understand correctly, what is being said here is that due to the evolution of the Mac OS and the Blackberry Desktop Manager version, it is no longer possible to simply check the boxes in Sync Services and enjoy trouble free syncing between my BB9700 and the latest version of Office Mac (Entourage). That certainly seems to be what has happened to me. I have removed plists from Prefs in between attempts to sync; I have gone back and reinstalled Office Mac 2004 in hopes that might help. I have also upgraded my MacBook Pro to Snow Leopard. Nothing has helped. No information from my BB’s calendar reaches Entourage, and the same is true with Tasks.
    I really dislike iCal. Its use of multiple calendars instead of simple categories is, IMHO a waste of time that only serves to create compatibility problems with other applications. I use only one calendar, and identify its categories with the name in caps at the beginning of each entry. I also own a 10.6 inch Lenovo ThinkPad, and although it is pretty weak as far as playing videos, etc is concerned, it syncs, backs up and installs software perfectly on my 9700 and my 8900.
    PocketPC worked reasonably well for me in the past, but it is very disappointing to imagine that the rocket scientists at RIM and Apple have managed to screw up what had been a very sweet little package.
    09-21-10 04:09 AM
    Office 2011 for Mac will be released in late-October, and it will come with Outlook. I'm eagerly waiting to see who it syncs and its functionality.
    09-21-10 10:44 AM
    Office 2011 for Mac will be released in late-October, and it will come with Outlook. I'm eagerly waiting to see who it syncs and its functionality.
    That sounds interesting. I've just relocated to Hong Kong, and the BB Tour isn't here yet (unless I feel like paying more than $800USD) but I'm not a huge fan of the iPhone. Maybe I'll pick up a refurbished 8320 (or whatever its equivalent here) and wait to see how the new Office shakes out.
    09-21-10 11:29 AM
    Hi,

Tested Office 2011 (public release due in a few weeks) and it doesn't sync to BlackBerry. Those on an Exchange server may see a benefit with Outlook for Mac. Personally I don't see it being that much better than Office for Mac 2008.

-- Robert.
    10-07-10 06:42 AM
    Hi,

Tested Office 2011 (public release due in a few weeks) and it doesn't sync to BlackBerry. Those on an Exchange server may see a benefit with Outlook for Mac. Personally I don't see it being that much better than Office for Mac 2008.

-- Robert.
    Then you must be a full time Mac user over the ages and not a recent switcher such as myself.

reasons for Mac 2011 over 2008:
    1. if any other reason doesn't matter its this: Outlook.
    - PST files access; not creating yet but access windows PST files
    - setup Exchange via MAPI or OWA using ActiveSync credentials.
    - proper Calendar and multiple Calendar access.
    - Delegate access, and Delegation done exactly like on PC.
    - To use the Ribbon or Not to use the Ribbon; that is your choice. Bliss.
    - Calendar updates as a service lightly running in the background to update Calendar reminders. My Mac's are NOT on domain nor in the office yet any new calendar appointments are updated in its OST file after updates, yet the Tasks/reminders are immediately updated as my home Mac is on 24/7 and without being launched can peep a window to remind me.

2. Contacts will now sync as RIM updated their guide to reflect Office 2011; very similar to how Entourage works.

3. Excel, PowerPoint, Word templates are VASTLY superior ... even in the trend of what iWorks layouts look and function like. VERY powerful yet estheticly pleasing.

Now ... Lotus Notes is updated for Mac OS X since 8.0.1 in equality as PC ... those using it on OS X should have some support - but I dont' have experience using desktop manager on OS X for a Domino Environment. I'd like to see screenshots or a video.

4. Visual Basic Scripts can be run or edited for Office 2011 - that was not available for 2008.

Keep the updates coming host, please. RIM has made serious improvements in the Beta 2.0 and hoping FULL sync with 2011 Office is coming soon.
    11-07-10 02:13 AM
    Long time Mac and PC user (and a Microsoft Partner).

While there are huge database improvements in Office 2011 for BIS Blackberry users it's two steps backwards regarding synchronisation.

Microsoft said stability was the focus for Outlook 2011 and more features will be added in future service packs. Right now Entourage 2008 works better for BlackBerry users on BIS.

-- Robert.
    11-07-10 07:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD