Having failed to upgrade the OS with vmware and parallels I was thinking of trying bootcamp.
    My question is how much space should I partition on my hard drive for an install of windows xp pro
    PURELY and ONLY to use desktop manager for upgrading my berry OS ,
    Thanks all.

Bodisaffa

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 10:57 AM
    I have a 20 GB partition for Boot Camp and installed XP Pro SP2 including all latest updates on it with no problems - takes a while so be patient. Also have Safari, MobileMe, AdobeReader, BB Desktop Manager, AVG Free AntiVirus, SplashID, and iTunes installed with some other misc stuff which leaves me about 9 GB free. Tried several times to install XP SP3 update but it claims not enough free space (which I don't believe) so I am happy with SP2 since I only use it to upgrade the BB OS as you say.

Also suggest you look at the Mac free app WinClone which lets you make a copy of the Boot Camp partition so you can restore it in case of a problem without having to re-install everything. I haven't had to use it yet but I don't trust Windows stuff enough to believe it won't fail.

Hope this helps,

Frank
    03-09-09 11:21 AM
    Thanks for the reply, 20gb sounds good.
    03-09-09 11:31 AM
    I only have 20 gig left on my HDD so the only way I would consider giving precious disk space to xp is if I could shoehorn it into 4 gig. Do the BB updates work under win 2k? You could easily shoehorn win 2k into a 2 gig bootcamp partition and there's no activation to bother with. Of course win2k drivers for Mac hardware might not be easy to find...
    03-09-09 02:00 PM
    I've always had a 320+ HD so I always did around 30-50gigs on my partition, but then again I'm a total computer nerd so I wanted extra space for newly released apps to try, games a couple times and watching movies/shows.
    03-09-09 02:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD