11-18-08 02:03 PM
28 12
tools
    Your Mac does not come with Windows but comes with the ability to run Windows. You do have to own a Windows install disc to run windows. You can use the Boot Camp program on your Mac to setup your computer to dual boot.

Once you have Windows installed, to boot into windows, you just have to hold down the "Option" key after your hear the "bong" the computer makes on start up.

You can then choose the Windows OS and install Desktop Manager and do your backup/upgrade.

I post links yet, but you can go to apple [dot] com/support/bootcamp for more help.
    Once you have done this, you will need to download Desktop Manager from here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22. I'd get the one with no media manager since it is a much smaller download and does not have the overhead of the horrid Roxio product. You won't need this to upgrage anyhow.

You can find an 'official' OS to download and instal here tp://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp but as everyone knows you can find later beta OSs just by asking around in here.

I would also reccomend that you download my free program CrackMem (link in my signature) since it will help a lot with saving memory on the phone.

Now you are running Windows and cooking with gas. You may never go back .
    11-18-08 01:54 PM
    Instead of pulling out a crappy computer why not just download virtualbox it is free to install and use and works just as good as vmware fusion and parallels for what you are trying to achieve. There is also links out there to use a vmware image in virtualbox.

You can make a very small virtual image (less than 3 gigs, I did mine in 1.2gigs) and have it boot up anytime you need to do something in windows that you cant do in mac. It does not take some advance IT person to do this as long as you take the time to read and research your issues if you have never done it. My wife did it by herself and she is nowhere near a techie and asked me less than 5 questions and 3 of them were related to the BB Desktop Manager.

The nice thing about this is you can burn your image to DVD or put it on a thumbdrive if you do not have enough space on your mac or you know you will not use it a lot. A blank DVD is cheap and so are thumbdrives these days if you need to go that route.

It is not a hard thing to do, you dont have to keep 2+ computers laying around. You dont need to go to a vzw store, dont need to borrow a friends computer either.

The only thing you may have to pay for if you dont have a copy of it laying around is for Windows. You can use Windows 2000, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro, or heck if you have it Windows 98 as long as you know Win98 is no longer supported by Microsoft and you may have issues with it working like it should.
    I am not sure that the later versions of the BlackBerry Device Manager will run on WIndows 98, and 2000. You need to check carefully with RIM before you download anything later than DM 4.2 if you are not running XP.
    11-18-08 01:57 PM
    I run a macbook at home. I did the 4.5 upgrade on my work laptop (dell) and it only took about 20 min.
    11-18-08 02:03 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD