11-18-08 02:03 PM
28 12
tools
    I have only owned my BB Curve 8330 (Verizon) for a couple of weeks. I asked service rep at time of purchase if the phone came with latest software load...he said yes. I now discover that it has not been upgraded. I am a Mac user and wondering how to upgrade BB software without a PC?
    11-11-08 10:52 AM
    this sucks, but here are the current options:

1. VMWare - run Windows on your Mac, install Desktop Mgr there (not free and have to have/buy a copy of Windows OS)

2. bootcamp - run windows on your mac but have to reboot to go to Windows (comes with Leopard or buy a copy, must have/buy a copy of Windows OS)

3. do it at work, like I do (Macbook at home)

4. borrow a friend's PC

5. buy a super-cheap windows machine (ugh)

6. wait until (maybe) 1st Q 2009 for RIM to develop Desktop Mgr for Mac- they're working on it, have been working on it for a while, no definitive date for release yet
    11-11-08 11:44 AM
    I feared as much. Unfortunately, we use Macs at work too. Anyone know if the good folks in the Verizon office might be able to upload the latest software if I take it in?
    11-11-08 11:51 AM
    I read somewhere that you could upgrade your os ota. Maybe do a quick search on these forums on "os upgrade ota". That could be a good alternative.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-08 12:02 PM
    I borrow my friend's pc! It took about 40 mins to upgrade to 0S 4.5 ! Not bad! Or u can bring to a nice verizon store they might do it for u

11-11-08 12:05 PM
    I had this same issue last week. I went to the Verizon store: They can't hook your phone up to their machines. (At least that's what they told me. They also said they aren't allowed to download software to the machines in-store) They gave me a 1-800 number that i had to call from a phone OTHER than my BB. After talking to the tech support they had 3 options. 1) find a pc. 2) send BB to their call center and they would upgrade it then send the BB back. 3) change my BB for a Palm Centro.

Other carriers may be more willing to help. i don't know.

I ended up finding a co-worker on a PC willing to help a Mac user out. (My personal make isn't new enough to run some of the PC software and the work Mac is locked down with a ton of administrator restrictions.)
    11-11-08 10:40 PM
    I tried to use an old slow PC with wireless connection to download the software tonight. It took 45 minutes to just load the Desktop tool off a CD, and almost two hours to download the OS via the wireless connection. Then after all that, when I tried to run the OS, it wouldn't work. What a nightmare!
    11-11-08 10:46 PM
    I do believe that ota upgrade is for bes only and not bis. I used my work pc to upgrade my os. I refuse to put windows on any of my macs. If your os is not having problems, I say wait. Sorry, this doesn't help much. Hopefully rim will release the mac version of desktop manager soon.

11-11-08 11:02 PM
    Yes I can't wait for the mac version as well,win(doze) is garbage,hate having to keep taking old PC out of the closet to upgrade os on my berry ugh!

11-11-08 11:07 PM
    this sucks, but here are the current options:

1. VMWare - run Windows on your Mac, install Desktop Mgr there (not free and have to have/buy a copy of Windows OS)

2. bootcamp - run windows on your mac but have to reboot to go to Windows (comes with Leopard or buy a copy, must have/buy a copy of Windows OS)

3. do it at work, like I do (Macbook at home)

4. borrow a friend's PC

5. buy a super-cheap windows machine (ugh)

6. wait until (maybe) 1st Q 2009 for RIM to develop Desktop Mgr for Mac- they're working on it, have been working on it for a while, no definitive date for release yet
    lol number 4 is my case...
    its too hard sometimes relying on mac alone. unless RIM has launched DM for Mac.. cant wait for that
    11-12-08 02:46 AM
    yeah this is a constant problem, hopefully the new berry desktop manager thats supposedly coming out in the first quarter of 2009, will let you update Blackberry OS's. but i guess ill have to keep using my shitty toshiba laptop until they fix this problem for the updates
    11-12-08 06:48 AM
    3rd time was the charm for me. After trying twice to load new software the other night (2 hour download each time), I was successful this morning in just a few minutes. I must have had a bad wireless connection.
    11-13-08 06:44 PM
    I first started doing the updates in VMWare Fuzion, but bricked on my first update due to USB connection issues. I then started doing all updates through bootcamp. Works like a charm!
    11-14-08 12:30 AM
    I have a mac book ait running Leopard.

Do I have windows then?

I suppose I would download BB Desktop and the latest (best) OS in mac mode as that's where all my internet works (?) Then hop over to bootcamp, go find the desktop install file and run it? BACK UP Then do the OS upgrde?

11-14-08 05:52 PM
    Also (im)patiently awaiting DM for Mac. I will not, under no circumstances run winblows from my precious mac-a-doo I will just wait it out, i have 4.5.0.77 on it anyways my ex did it for me, its just not the official release from VZW...lost my VAD when he did it but i can wait to get that back when they make DM for 
    11-14-08 07:57 PM
    I have to use my wifes pc its crappy because its vista not my OSX I have come to love. Can't wait till rim pushes out the true mac program.

11-14-08 08:31 PM
    so these updates can't be done in any of the stores? Because wen I use the store locator on Verizons website, some of them say sofware upgrades available.
    11-14-08 09:36 PM
    I've never tried going through the VZ store, as this Curve I'm using now has been doing fine since I bought it 2 months back. Seems like it should't be a big deal though, does it? If I brought in a "dumb-phone" with software issues, wouldn't they upgrade it? I'd call & ask, definately.

As far as managing/upgrading the BB via computer, I researched that prior to buying - and until RIM releases a Mac compatable version of their software, I'm stuck with using the junky PC in the corner at work for that kind of thing.
    Which bothers me not that much, really - as I think I've used it twice since owning my BB.

Maybe once I can synch on my Apple I might be a little more excited about it. Till then - Meh, whatever. I still get my emails.
    11-14-08 09:59 PM
    Well I've always rather use my pc as a "constant formatting" machine and I like to keep it that way. So having DM run on pc is good cos I won't have to keep anything important on my phone (cos relying too heavily on a phone can have dangerous consequences hahahaha)

11-14-08 10:13 PM
    Can someone spell it out for me please? (sorry for being so stupid)

I have an Air Book with Leopard

If I boot up the PC side of it am I good to go for installing BB desktop?

Or do I need to by some additional Windows OS software?

Many thanks!
    11-15-08 06:55 AM
    I have a mac book ait running Leopard.

Do I have windows then?

I suppose I would download BB Desktop and the latest (best) OS in mac mode as that's where all my internet works (?) Then hop over to bootcamp, go find the desktop install file and run it? BACK UP Then do the OS upgrde?

Your Mac does not come with Windows but comes with the ability to run Windows. You do have to own a Windows install disc to run windows. You can use the Boot Camp program on your Mac to setup your computer to dual boot.

Once you have Windows installed, to boot into windows, you just have to hold down the "Option" key after your hear the "bong" the computer makes on start up.

You can then choose the Windows OS and install Desktop Manager and do your backup/upgrade.

I post links yet, but you can go to apple [dot] com/support/bootcamp for more help.
    11-15-08 08:52 AM
    OK I understand now. Many thanks.

Can you reccomend a 'cheapest' Window OS I could buy? I would only use it for BB Desktop...

Any power user tips?

A 'macspert' friend set me up with VMFusion a while back but managed to mess up by not allocating enough memory to to Windows and the (old) ma laptop was too short of drive space for it to run effectivly (I no longer have that laptop)

Thanks again...

11-15-08 10:16 AM
    Instead of pulling out a crappy computer why not just download virtualbox it is free to install and use and works just as good as vmware fusion and parallels for what you are trying to achieve. There is also links out there to use a vmware image in virtualbox.

You can make a very small virtual image (less than 3 gigs, I did mine in 1.2gigs) and have it boot up anytime you need to do something in windows that you cant do in mac. It does not take some advance IT person to do this as long as you take the time to read and research your issues if you have never done it. My wife did it by herself and she is nowhere near a techie and asked me less than 5 questions and 3 of them were related to the BB Desktop Manager.

The nice thing about this is you can burn your image to DVD or put it on a thumbdrive if you do not have enough space on your mac or you know you will not use it a lot. A blank DVD is cheap and so are thumbdrives these days if you need to go that route.

It is not a hard thing to do, you dont have to keep 2+ computers laying around. You dont need to go to a vzw store, dont need to borrow a friends computer either.

The only thing you may have to pay for if you dont have a copy of it laying around is for Windows. You can use Windows 2000, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro, or heck if you have it Windows 98 as long as you know Win98 is no longer supported by Microsoft and you may have issues with it working like it should.
    11-18-08 09:37 AM
    I am a mac user! So I had to borrow my friend's pc!it took me almost 2 hrs to upgrade to 4.5! Hope in the near future, bb and mac can work together! Because mac rocks and PC sucks!

11-18-08 09:48 AM
    yes - you need to find a PC somewhere or I've had my software updated at verizon store.
    11-18-08 11:27 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD