11-05-09 12:41 PM
27 12
tools
    the subject line really says it all.

I'm needing to do a reload of my storm os 5 and I have a mac.

I've done some google searches and they only seem to be helping out those in the pc world.
    11-03-09 12:42 PM
    I don't know anything about Macs, but I read somewhere in the forums about using Bootcamp(?) to boot up a Mac like Windows. There is a thread called "How to Shrink-A-OS" and it is mentioned there. Here is the link:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/how-shrink-os-348769/

I hope that helps a little,
    11-03-09 12:50 PM
    Sorry the above link doesn't work, try the one below

11-03-09 12:52 PM
    the subject line really says it all.

I'm needing to do a reload of my storm os 5 and I have a mac.

I've done some google searches and they only seem to be helping out those in the pc world.
    What's going on with your phone that makes you need to reload the OS? The only way to do this is to do a wipe and that would require a PC. There are no wipe applications for Mac. However you CAN do this:

Plug your phone in and run DM. It should give you a prompt saying you are current. It will also ask if you want to downgrade. Go ahead and downgrade back to .148 and then reinstall .328. That's the only way I know that you can do it without a PC.
    11-03-09 12:58 PM
    I don't know anything about Macs, but I read somewhere in the forums about using Bootcamp(?) to boot up a Mac like Windows. There is a thread called "How to Shrink-A-OS" and it is mentioned there. Here is the link:

I hope that helps a little,
    Just an FYI. Boot Camp partitions a portion of the Macs Hard Drive and allows you to run Windows on it. If he just wants to use Mac this wouldn't help him at all. He would still need a copy of Windows to work with this. Obviously he wants to work with his Mac only.
    11-03-09 01:04 PM
    here's my problem-
    After upgrading to os 5, I started getting all the "unexpected errors" messages. Also, some of my 3rd party apps are no longer working.
    The main one I'm concerned with is facebook. My storm will download it but then the app never shows up on phone. I can even go to applications and it says it's downloaded as an add-on but it's no where to be found on my phone elsewhere.

I've done various battery pulls and re-downloaded the software from various locations and it still won't work.

The strange thing is, all my other apps have started working but still not facebook.

NOTE: I also made sure the 'show all' option was applied.

It's pretty much got me going crazy.

If you have another suggestion, I'm more than happy to hear it.
    11-03-09 01:04 PM
    well. yeah you're right. The only reason I would partition part of my hard drive would be for this one thing.

Then, I'd have to find a working windows os and install it.
    Not really worth it.

Besides......MAC rules!!!!! lol
    11-03-09 01:09 PM
    I really don't know what the problem is with your facebook. It could be that you need to do a device wipe and then reinstall .328 (after backing up of course). Maybe a good idea to remove facebook before doing your wipe and install.

One other thing too. Make sure on facebook you have your settings correct so it will send out your notifications on your email account.

Good luck.
    11-03-09 01:10 PM
    thank you hookbill
    11-03-09 01:17 PM
    you CAN WIPE AND REINSTALL with a mac...(does not require a pc)......i bricked my phone the other day and being a mac user i thought i was screwed but i searched on here (you need to check the mac section more) and found a way to do it.....its really easy you need to delete the OS from your comp., connect to DM WITHOUT a battery in the phone...and take it from there...if you give me a couple mintues i will post the link ....
    11-03-09 01:21 PM
    11-03-09 01:24 PM
    11-03-09 01:26 PM
    wow.
    you are ridiculously amazing, my fine mac-y friend.
    I'm going to try it right now and see what happens.

thanks so much.
    11-03-09 01:31 PM
    just BE PATIENT AND DONT DISCONNECT...it may seem to freeze and some spots but i assure you it isnt....and dont forget to BACK UP
    11-03-09 01:33 PM
    Thanks for that biggy0, I rarely go to the Mac section. I'll keep it in mind in the future.
    11-03-09 01:35 PM
    i'm trying it now.
    When I get to the part where my storm is connected to my mac without a battery, it keeps telling me it was unable to load os because phone was disconnnected.
    The directions say to keep trying disconnected then reconnecting and try again.....that's where i'm at now.
    11-03-09 01:53 PM
    okay.
    i may need to try it again but it didn't work for me.
    11-03-09 03:08 PM
    Just an FYI. Boot Camp partitions a portion of the Macs Hard Drive and allows you to run Windows on it. If he just wants to use Mac this wouldn't help him at all. He would still need a copy of Windows to work with this. Obviously he wants to work with his Mac only.
    Thanks for the info. I obviously don't know anything about Macs, and it shows!
    11-03-09 04:09 PM
    you CAN WIPE AND REINSTALL with a mac...(does not require a pc)......i bricked my phone the other day and being a mac user i thought i was screwed but i searched on here (you need to check the mac section more) and found a way to do it.....its really easy you need to delete the OS from your comp., connect to DM WITHOUT a battery in the phone...and take it from there...if you give me a couple mintues i will post the link ....
    There's a Mac Section!? Never knew that!
    11-03-09 04:13 PM
    i'm trying it now.
    When I get to the part where my storm is connected to my mac without a battery, it keeps telling me it was unable to load os because phone was disconnnected.
    The directions say to keep trying disconnected then reconnecting and try again.....that's where i'm at now.
    I don't know if this could be the problem, but with OS 5 there are some that are experiencing a problem with Mass Storage Mode. RIM has a patch/fix for it (check the link in my signature). I don't know if this is a PC only problem or whether it would affect Macs too. But if it affects Macs too, then it might keep the Mac from recognizing your phone.
    11-03-09 04:16 PM
    okay.
    i may need to try it again but it didn't work for me.
    I know you are into Macs, but it might be easier to fix your phone on a friends PC. You can always uninstall everything from the PC after you get your phone up and running.
    11-03-09 04:20 PM
    I am definitely willing to give that a try.

does anyone know where I can get some instruction as to how to do this on a pc?
    11-04-09 11:09 AM
    check out my "How To Shrink-A-OS" link in my signature, this will at least get you started. The instructions are specifically for Windows PC, not Mac. The first part explains how to uninstall an old OS from your computer, the second part explains how to Shrink-A-OS, the third part explains how to install the new OS.
    11-04-09 11:28 AM
    In the "How to Shrink-A-OS" guide:

If you are on a PC that you have not installed any BB OS, and you want to Shrink the new OS to gain memory prior to installing on your phone, the do Step 4 thru 14.

If you want to install new OS, but do NOT want to Shrink, then do Step 4, skip Steps 5-10, do Step 11-14.
    11-04-09 11:51 AM
    Note, here are a set of instructions on how to reload the OS on a Mac:

Facebook missing and Java exception when upgraded ... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

This method works for those uncaught exception errors and performs a proper install from a Mac. This method has worked for pretty much all the Mac users I've seen (unless they didn't follow it step by step and do it right).
    11-04-09 11:58 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD