Am hoping someone is out there who can help me. Recently purchased a Blackberry Pearl 8130 at Verizon. I really wanted an iPhone but needed to stay with Verizon for several reasons and I read a great deal about how fabulous the Pearl is so I made the decision to buy it. I was looking for a device that would combine the featurs I use my Palm Z22 for (iCal and Address Book syncing) and my cellphone (text messaging, video/camera, browsing web, and of course phone calls). According to the Verizon tech rep this was the device for me that could do all of that.

So I installed PocketMac (which came with the device courtesy of Blackberry or Verizon, not sure) and got no where. It would start to sync and hang up when syncing the calendar and nothing would sync in the end. Again I went to the web and discovered a lot of folks had similar problems with PocketMac and all said to get Missing Sync (also recommended by MacWorld).

I uninstalled PocketMac making sure there were no traces left of it on my computer (Powerbook G4, 10.4.10). Then i paid for and downloaded the Missing Sync. It looked like all was going well but nothing synced! I tried a lot of the Mark/Space (makers of Missing Sync) suggestions in the knowledge base to no avail.

So as much as I want to keep my phone (I love the push email feature..I used to have to resort to using my phone browser to check my email) I am feeling like if I cannot resolve this problem and get Missing Sync to work to sync my iCal and Address Book then I am better off with the Palm 700p (which is much bulkier than the Pearl and I have read has regular crashing issues) or going back to a regular phone and resigning myself to carrying two devices, the Palm and a cellphone.

Any advice out there? Even a sales rep at Verizon who was overhearing my discussion with my sales person about my issues with being able to sync (and the possibility of me returning the phone) was despairing as she was going to buy the Pearl as she has a Mac and was told Pocketmac would be just fine.

Thoughts? Advice? Do I give up on the Blackberry even though I don't want to?

Teresa
    11-10-07 01:34 PM
    Love my Blackberry. Had the Treo 700p. Too big. Never had many crashes.
    Glad to be done with it though.
    I'll have to live with limited syncing for now. Most people with cellphones don't have that capability at all...
    Good luck in your decision.
    11-11-07 10:46 PM
    So are you able to successfully sync between your Blackberry Curve and your Mac? If so, what does one do to have a successful sync? I don't mind a limited sync, I just want at least most of my appointments to show up on my calendar.

Thanks.

teresa
    11-11-07 10:51 PM
    I don't think it's an issue with your Mac. Your 8130 is very new and may not be supported by PocketMac at this time. It may be the same thing with Missing Sync as well.
    11-11-07 11:29 PM
    Missing Sync should work great. You may have to do a bit of extra cleaning to get PocketMac out of your system.

This thread on Apple support should see you through your problem.

Apple - Support - Discussions - Pocketmac, Blackberry 8130, and mac ...
    11-12-07 01:49 PM
    Thanks, that is actually a thread that I started. I followed the advice given and am still having issues. If you can think of any other steps I can take, please let me know.

Thanks for posting!
    11-12-07 02:10 PM
    Heh, sorry. I should have paid more attention to the usernames in that apple thread.

It sounds to me like there's something going wrong in iSync. If I recall, missing sync builds off of Apple's sync services to sync to devices. That's the way they do it with Windows Mobile, anyway; I'm guessing they'd do the same for blackberry...

there are some calendar and contacts checking tips over at this website that you may want to take a peek at. (found via apple support forums)
    11-12-07 02:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD