Edited 2009-02-24 9:50PM PST
    NOTE: With the release of the new device app I will be updating these instructions. I have made minor changes to reflect the updated device app below. These instructions can still be followed but without as many Shut Down & Restarts.

Subject: New Build of Device Application Available (Build 273)

I created the following instructions AFTER the Preview Release testing was completed and v2.0 Release was not what I would consider ready for release.

NOTE: Jump down to the "IMPORTANT UPDATE" section to get the device app that was leaked after the release and after I completed these instructions. Make sure you set all of device app permissions to ALLOW. Then bounce back up here to begin.[/b]

Help when upgrading Missing Sync for BlackBerry (MSBB) from v1.0.x or the Preview Release (for those that tested the Preview Release) as well as NEW v2.0 installs!

Objective: Start CLEAN by making sure that no older or pre release MSBB files are on your hard drive.

Path info for those not familiar with UNIX style file/directory paths:

The following:
    / = The root of your HARD DRIVE

NOTE: "/" also denotes a directory separator within a path as well. ONLY when it is the first character in the path is it the the root of your hard drive (root being the first level of your hard drive, much like a tree in your yard). Mark/Space also uses this in their company name as you see there so when you see "Mark/Space" listed, the "/" is a part of their company name and NOT part of a path. Sometimes their company name will NOT have the "/" character and may be like this "MarkSpace". I am making these instructions so that the new or novice user will be able to accomplish the process no matter their skill level.

So the following path:

/Library/Preferences/com.markspace.missingsync.blackberry.plist

Refers to:
    /HARD DRIVE/Library/Preferences/com.markspace.missingsync.blackberry.plist

The following:
    ~/ = The path from your USER directory

So the following path:

~/Library/Preferences

Refers to:
    /HARD DRIVE/Users/USERNAME/Library/Preferences

Thus "~/" is a shorter way of describing the path into your USERNAME directory.

OK, read it a few times if you are not familiar to how UNIX paths are used as I think you will understand once you begin reading the process listed below. If you are confused PLEASE post a message before doing anything so that you delete the proper files.

-=-=- Backup Process Begin -=-=-

01) If you are able to sync without problems using a version other than the newly released v2.0 please do so.

02) Create a new Folder within your Documents folder, name it "MSBB Backup data" so these instructions are easier to follow

03) Backup your current Address Book and iCal data on your computer

Address Book: Launch Address Book and select: File>Export>Address Book Archive...

Save the file to the newly created Folder "MSBB Backup data"

iCal: Launch iCal and select: File>Back up iCal...

Save the file to the newly created Folder "MSBB Backup data"

-=-=- Backup Process Complete -=-=-

-=-=- Other Data Syncing Software Removal -=-=-

Uninstall & remove ALL other 3rd party syncing software (e.g., PocketMac)

-=-=- Data Removal Process Begin -=-=-

During this process move the last named item in the path to the Trash. It may be a file or a directory/folder containing other items. The objective is to remove all older data (applications & files alike).

01) Uninstall the MSBB application by launching/running the following file:

/Applications/Missing Sync for BlackBerry/Uninstaller

02) Shut Down & Restart your Mac (DO NOT simply Restart)

03) Move the following items to the Trash. Remember to focus on the last item listed as it may be a directory/folder or a file itself so no matter which it is, move it to the Trash

/MarkSpace <-- Drectory/Folder and contents
    /Applications/Mark/Space Notebook <-- Application
    /Applications/Mark/Space <-- Directory/Folder and contents

Get the Idea? DO NOT skip those directories/folders or file, I was simply indicating what you were looking at with "<--" OK. Continue...

/Library/Preferences/com.markspace.missingsync.blackberry.plist
    ~/Library/Application Support/Mark/Space
    ~/Library/Application Support/Mark/Space Notebook
    ~/Library/Application Support/Missing Sync for BlackBerry
    ~/Library/Caches/MissingSync_cardinfo
    ~/Library/Caches/MissingSync_mounted
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.markspace.missingsync.blackberry.background.pl ist
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.markspace.missingsync.blackberry.crashreporter .plist
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.markspace.missingsync.blackberry.plist
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.markspace.missingsync.calllog.plist
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.markspace.missingsync.sms.plist
    ~/Library/Preferences/com.markspace.notebook.plist

-=-=- Data Removal Process Complete -=-=-

Shut Down & Restart your Mac (DO NOT simply Restart)

-=-=- MSBB Installation & Setup Process Begin -=-=-

01) Install MSBB v2.0. Read the Read ME & Release Notes (Mark/Space created them for a reason). If you get an iCal Sync conflict error ignore it (it will fix itself later). If you're not an advanced user, complete the Setup Wizard. Quit MSBB

02) Install the MSBB device app onto your device as instructed

************************************************** **********************************
    I M P O R T A N T U P D A T E
    NOTE: New device app file has fixed A LOT of problems. I just tested it 12:00AM 2/19

I feel it is VERY important to use this updated device app but you MUST remember to set ALL permissions to ALLOW. Then I recommend doing a shut down of your device remove your devices battery, wait about a minute and re-insert your battery and give it plenty of time to get up & running... Let's say 5-10 minutes
    http://mirror.markspace.com/bb2.jad
    ************************************************** **********************************

NOTE: You must set the permissions for the Missing Sync device application to ALLOW as instructed

03) Shut Down & Restart your Mac (DO NOT simply Restart)

04) Shut Down your device & unplug the USB cable from your device before you Restart your Mac

05) Remove your devices battery, wait about a minute and re-insert your battery and give it plenty of time to get up & running... Let's say 10 minutes

06) Launch Address Book: Select ALL contacts (click on a contact & from the Edit menu choose Select All)

07) Press the Delete key on your keyboard and select the "Delete" button when prompted and then Quit Address Book. This will prevent duplicate contacts on your device during a later step. If you do not have any contacts on your device you may skip this

08) Launch iCal: Select File>New Calendar to create an "untitled" calendar. Clear all checkboxes EXCEPT the newly created "untitled" calendar then Quit iCal

09) Launch MSBB on your Mac. The device application simply runs in the background and needs no more attention

10) Double-Click the Calendar plug-in to configure. In the Calendar Settings select Overwrite device with desktop on next sync only. Lower down on the "Synchronize" section click the radio button "Selected Calendars:" and have ONLY the newly created "untitled" checked. In the "Put events created on the device into:" drop down, select "untitled" (should already be selected). Below that, in the "Sync" area, click the "all events" radio button and Press OK

11) Now just to make things happy (or at least me). Quit MSBB, Shut Down & Restart your Mac (DO NOT simply Restart)

12) Your device should have been sitting all by itself for awhile now after you removed & replaced the battery. Once your Mac is up and running, connect your device via USB to your Mac and wait until you see "Blackberry2" listed as a mounted drive. If you do NOT see it listed in the left of your Finder window below your Hard Drive then disconnect your device and proceed to 12a below. If you got an error on screen that says something to the effect that "your device was unmounted improperly..." you overlooked it in the Finder which may cause data problems on your media card (as it states). Re-connect your device and launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, select Blackberry2 from the list on the left and press the button in the lower right "Repair Disk" and all should be fine

12a) Configure your device to use Mass Storage Mode using the following:

Run the Options app on your device (looks like a wrench on a Storm. I forgot what it looked like on my Curve but you'll find it if you look). Proceed to the following:

Options>Memory
    Settings should read as follows:

Media Card Support = ON
    Encryption Mode = NONE
    Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) = ON
    Mass Storage Support = ON
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected = YES

13) Launch MSBB. Make sure that ONLY the Calendar plug-in is selected and Sync

14) Repeat step 10 and select the iCal calendar you use in place of the "untitled" calendar you created. I got sync errors that had some events "before" status set to days listed in hours "after" sync (this was in the Preview too and not a big deal)

IMPORTANT CALENDAR NOTES & TIPS: I use ONE iCal calender which gets synced to Microsoft Entourage 2008 and have NO idea how things will turn out if you use more than one iCal calendar. At least up to this point please follow the instructions as I have written them as I have worked MANY hours troubleshooting and will point out that there are still some oddities I have yet to figure out.

ALSO NOTE: I have 7 e-mail accounts I use on my Storm and each will create its OWN calendar on my BlackBerry. Because I only need ONE I delete ALL of the "MailAccountName [CICAL]" files listed in:

Options>Advanced Options>Service Book

By doing this, I use the "Device Default" calendar on my device and eliminate more than 7 possible problems I may have created.

MORE IMPORTANT CALENDAR INFORMATION: There is an error reported that I have duplicated but I cannot replicate it all the time. The error first posted by KerryD: DeviceException: Device error: Error reading record from device. Meaning that events created in the BlackBerry do not get synced to the Mac and this error is generated.

Right now I am not getting this error but there is what I'm thinking & looking into.

a) Is it password related. Right now I have the password option disabled. I have tried this before & still got the error.
    b) Does it have something to do with the time between when the event is created and when the device id synced? (In other words is it the device app?)
    c) I just noticed a post from "tdehnke" that a new device app has been uploaded with good results posted by "mking"

NOTE: I have not tested the new device app (I have prior to finishing this document - see above)

15) Now just to make things happy (or at least me). Quit MSBB, Shut Down & Restart your Mac (DO NOT simply Restart)

16) Shut Down your device & unplug the USB cable from your device before you Restart your Mac

17) Remove your devices battery, wait about a minute and re-insert your battery and give it plenty of time to get up & running... Let's say 10 minutes

18) Launch MSBB on your Mac

19) Make sure only the Contacts plug-in is checked (uncheck the Calendar plugin-for now). All the settings should be set to "Synchronize"

20) On your device make sure the contact field mapping will not delete some of your contact data

Here is the contact field mapping for v2.0:

Mac <--> BlackBerry
    Work <--> Work
    Home <--> Home
    Mobile <--> Mobile
    Pager <--> Pager
    Work Fax <--> Fax
    Home Fax <--> N/A
    Other <--> Other
    Main <--> N/A
    N/A <--> Home 2
    Custom <--> Direct Connect (Nextel Devices)
    User1 <--> User1 (custom phone field)
    User2 <--> User2 (custom phone field)
    User3 <--> User3 (custom phone field)
    User4 <--> User4 (custom phone field)
    PIN <--> PIN (custom phone field)
    Birthday <--> Birthday
    Anniversary <--> Anniversary
    Home Page <--> Web Page

NOTE: Pay special attention to the field information and make adjustments on your device before proceeding

21) Reconnect your device to your Mac & Sync your Contacts, thus copying them from your device to your Mac as not to create duplicates

22) Now just to make things happy (or at least me). Quit MSBB, Shut Down & Restart your Mac (DO NOT simply Restart)

23) Shut Down your device & unplug the USB cable from your device before you Restart your Mac

24) Remove your devices battery, wait about a minute and re-insert your battery and give it plenty of time to get up & running... Let's say 10 minutes

25) Launch MSBB on your Mac

26) Check all plug-ins EXCEPT Folder Sync, Music and Video

27) Double-Click the Tasks plug-in & make sure the Task Settings are set to "Synchronize" with the additional options set to your liking and press OK

28) Synchronize!

29) Test the above before configuring the Folder Sync, Music and Video plug-ins

30) Repeat steps 3-6 until a more stable release is available (which may be NOW with the new device app v2.0.0.273 but this may just be a test file & not for the public). I can't stress how important this is at this point

-=-=- MSBB Installation & Setup Process Complete -=-=-

NOTE: I have found it best to make sure the Mac has been Shut Down & Restarted and the device battery be removed & re-incerted prior to syncing at some but this may not be your case. I do not use Music or Video syncing (drag & drop works fine for me at this point) so you will have to test this on your own. This *may* not be the case with the updated device app mentioned above

This has taken me several days and many, MANY hours which could not have been done without the help of KerryD, polywog & Dave Cagle in the Mark/Space user forums!

Please reply to this topic and I will help as best I can. So you know, I'm running an iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core Dual Extreme, 2GB RAM, OS X v1.5.6 (or later), Entourage 2008 & a 9530 Storm currently running OS v4.7.0.109 (not Hybrid).

Good luck!

~X
    P.S. I am the original poster in Mark/Space's forums. Thanks to those of you asking if someone else is taking credit for this.
    Last edited by xwera43; 02-24-09 at 11:56 PM.
    02-23-09 11:56 PM
    WOW!! Where's the dummy down version? Not sure if I want to go through all this work or wait for Mark/Space to step to the plate. For those in which all this wont go over their head, I'm sure they'll appreciate this.
    02-24-09 12:42 AM
    WOW!! Where's the dummy down version? Not sure if I want to go through all this work or wait for Mark/Space to step to the plate. For those in which all this wont go over their head, I'm sure they'll appreciate this.
    WOW! thnx xwera. Agree with ^^^. I may wait for Mark/space to get their act together as well. Too timid, afraid I might mess things up. But a huge effort on xwera's part. Mega kudos to him for his help!
    02-24-09 08:43 AM
    Wow is right. I'm half way through and a bit confused. On the Installation and setup when you say launch Contacts and Calendar and delete - is that on the computer or on the Storm? I think it is on the computer.

Also, my original problem was not being able to use the USB cable, the computer would only recognize the bluetooth connection - the sync won't run without it. Before I setup the MSBB I tried plugging in the Storm with the USB cable and BlackBerry2 (or 1) wasn't coming up. I went to Disk utility and nothing was listed. On the System profiler BlackBerry and the Media card are both listed at the USB. Any ideas? I have all settings as you listed.
    02-24-09 10:46 AM
    WOW! thnx xwera. Agree with ^^^. I may wait for Mark/space to get their act together as well. Too timid, afraid I might mess things up. But a huge effort on xwera's part. Mega kudos to him for his help!
    I think because I took so many steps it looks harder than it is. (The hard part was getting that far.)

I have just updated links to match changes Mark/Space has made so if they were broken before you should be good to go now.

Thanks for the kudos!

~X
    02-25-09 12:04 AM
    Wow is right. I'm half way through and a bit confused. On the Installation and setup when you say launch Contacts and Calendar and delete - is that on the computer or on the Storm? I think it is on the computer.

Also, my original problem was not being able to use the USB cable, the computer would only recognize the bluetooth connection - the sync won't run without it. Before I setup the MSBB I tried plugging in the Storm with the USB cable and BlackBerry2 (or 1) wasn't coming up. I went to Disk utility and nothing was listed. On the System profiler BlackBerry and the Media card are both listed at the USB. Any ideas? I have all settings as you listed.
    Yes, I am referring to the apps on the computer for backing up your data. However, I noticed last night that Apple's Address Book does not restore properly. Simply put, the labels for e-mail & home page are set to "other" on your Mac and thus in the case of "home page" you need to edit your contacts home page field label from "other" to "home page" for the field to sync to your BB.

As far as BLACKBERRY1 not showing up this seems to have changed with OS X v10.5.6. Others on here are trying to get it to mount but it will sync without it mounting. As far as the USB alone, you MUST do your first sync via USB (per the MSBB v2.0 instructions). If you have the cable connected to ANYTHING other than directly to your Mac's CPU (in other words, not the keyboard & possibly not the monitor or any sort of hub) in order for it to get the power it needs.

~X
    02-25-09 12:15 AM
    The direct connect numbes do not transfer. According to tech support, this is a "known issue" and they offered no advice. Does anyone have a work around?
    06-21-09 07:31 AM
    The direct connect numbes do not transfer. According to tech support, this is a "known issue" and they offered no advice. Does anyone have a work around?
    Other than manual input, I don't know of any work around. Sorry.
    06-21-09 09:45 AM
    I wrote this "walk-through" when v2.0 first came out. Mark Space has improved it since but I'd suggest posting this to them in their forums if you haven't already.

Good luck!

~X

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 01:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD