I'm off to University in September, and I've made up my mind regarding a laptop - definitely going to be purchasing a Mac. The question is, I'm not really sure if I should get a Pro or the new Air that was released the other day. This laptop will not be my primary computer, I have a desktop that will be my primary computer, so the fact that the specs on the Air are not as good aren't a huge factor, but definitely in my mind when determining best value for my money. I'm in Commerce, so it will be more Microsoft Office rather than Photoshop, Final Cut, etc.

What would you recommend for a business student?
    07-21-11 10:43 PM
    I was on the same position as u r right now...

If you are planning to get an "on the go" Mac. I recommend u to get the new MacBook AIR. With the new updates (Processor, Hard Drive, RAM, Video Card and Lion) it became very powerful, so powerful that came to take the place of the old White MacBook. D:<

Any ways, check the specs.

But if it wouldn't be your "primary" computer it think the AIR would definitely work.
    07-21-11 10:54 PM
    its a $200 difference between the two.microsoft office works very well on the pro.can't say about air because never tried it. the air does seem more portable than the pro though.
    07-21-11 11:00 PM
    its a $200 difference between the two.microsoft office works very well on the pro.can't say about air because never tried it. the air does seem more portable than the pro though.
    I'd probably get the better 11 inch model with 4GB of RAM and 128GB SSD (same price as the entry level pro with student discount).. 64GB doesn't seem like enough storage, especially after the software etc preloaded, probably brings it down to ~50-55gb of actual storage.
    07-21-11 11:19 PM
    I bought a Macbook Air in March 2010 for business use. I've installed Office for Mac 2011 and this works fine. I've also upgraded to Lion without any problem. Its much more portable than the macbook we bought my daughter. The new models have higher ram, SSD and are supposed to be much faster.

Go for it

Mark
    07-27-11 12:38 PM
    I suggest you MacBook Air. It is fastest and most powerful one. Though it has some disadvantages also but it is not your primary computer so go for it.
    08-11-11 04:49 AM
    Federal employees can get a Microsoft Office (the whole thing, with Outlook) offer sent to their email, costs only $10 (the mac version too). If you know somebody see if they can send you the link.
    08-18-11 05:13 PM
    I was in the same position as you not too long ago. I purchased the new Macbook Air 13" a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love it. It's super thin and light weight which makes it so much easier to slip right into a purse, backpack etc. compared to a MBP, in my opinion.

I only use it for browsing and 2 softwares that I use a lot for school work.

Microsoft Office 2011 and iWork 2009.

I would say get a MBA 13" since it's very light and portable. It will work great, especially for a college student. However, it is very fragile. So, I would recommend you buying a sleeve. Good luck!
    08-27-11 01:27 AM
    If you are going to be hauling it around all day, I would go for the Air. They have great battery life as well as being light as heck. I find mine to be plenty powerful enough to do everything I do in my day to day business (making spreadsheets, presentations, research and a few other apps.) I don't carry my music library on it, but I do load a few movies or tv shows on it from time to time. The new models are VERY powerful considering their size and I'm going to try to get one of those as soon as I earn enough brownie points with the wife!
    08-30-11 12:27 AM
    I'm a university student and I have the macbook air 13' and its great lightweight and got a student discount when I ordered through the store on apple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-11 11:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD