I am not new to Windows or BlackBerrys, but my new MacBook has me in complete newbie status. I just this morning learned how to finally install a .dmg file (FireFox). That was sort of confusing. I kept deleting it after install and the program would disappear. Finally figured it out though.

I am also learning all the keyboard shortcuts slowly. This new computer is definitely cool and has potential, but I have to unlearn my Windows habits.

So, anyone have any helpful shortcuts, websites, applications, widgets, etc. for a new switcher?

Many thanks,
    Trevor
    12-19-07 06:54 AM
    Need more info to go on please.
    12-19-07 09:13 PM
    No more information necessary. Just looking for some good mac sites or tips for a switcher.
    12-19-07 09:17 PM
    I've been an OS X guy for a few years now and work professionally as a "Mac Guy" but as someone who grew up in the Windows world, there's a lot out there to take in at first.

I think a good Mac blog to read is TUAW since it's a mixture of news, rumors, as well as sometimes useful information to those to the newbie and the seasoned vet.

The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

Here's a good website to get your started on some nifty free software

Open Source Mac - Free, Open-Source software for OS X

Don't be afraid of Apple's support website and forums. They're pretty great places to go get info. Also MacOSXHints.com is a good resource. As for keyboard shortcuts, memorize the info here

Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts

Lastly for diagnostics, Onyx is your friend.

Titanium Software

Too bad Applejack hasn't been updated for Leopard yet, but once it does it should rock.

AppleJack Project Page

Lastly one of the coolest apps that has no real way to be described other than a productivity app is QuickSilver

Quicksilver (software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    Blacktree
    Last edited by archer823; 12-20-07 at 09:16 AM.
    12-20-07 09:13 AM
    I've been an OS X guy for a few years now and work professionally as a "Mac Guy" but as someone who grew up in the Windows world, there's a lot out there to take in at first.

I think a good Mac blog to read is TUAW since it's a mixture of news, rumors, as well as sometimes useful information to those to the newbie and the seasoned vet.

The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

Here's a good website to get your started on some nifty free software

Open Source Mac - Free, Open-Source software for OS X

Don't be afraid of Apple's support website and forums. They're pretty great places to go get info. Also MacOSXHints.com is a good resource. As for keyboard shortcuts, memorize the info here

Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts

Lastly for diagnostics, Onyx is your friend.

Titanium Software

Too bad Applejack hasn't been updated for Leopard yet, but once it does it should rock.

AppleJack Project Page

Lastly one of the coolest apps that has no real way to be described other than a productivity app is QuickSilver

Quicksilver (software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    Blacktree
    Perfect! This is just what I was looking for. *runs off to start reading*
    12-20-07 06:42 PM
    Here's a really easy site to use also...it's helped me to become a MAC convert and the go-to-girl....well here at my working place at least...hehehe. You'll be glad that you switched!! I know I am...and I am still working on converting all my coworkers. Mwahahaha!!

Apple - Support - Switch 101
    01-02-08 03:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD