i just installed the missing sync software for my bold and setup blutooth for it. everytime i press the "sync" button it trys to sync via bluetooth , then it quickly gives me an error and says for my "1st" sync i must do it from the usb cord . which is plugged in to my black berry and my computer, but every time it keeps trying to do blutooth and i get the same error , i cant figure out how to change it so it will do it via the blackberry usb. i got the email on my blackberry and installed the software too.
    i have also tryed turning blutooth off on my macbook and blackberry and keep getting another error to turn it on then.
    here is the error i get ( what should i do ? )help/// i am using a new mac book/

"Synchronization cancelled due to error. The first synchronization of a device must be done via USB. Subsequent syncs may be done wirelessly or via USB. You may need to restart The Missing Sync on the device if problems persist."
    04-16-09 03:10 PM
    same problem here. just got my bold.
    any update?
    04-17-09 09:47 PM
    This may be a stupid question, but did you go through the full setup procedure when you installed Missing Sync? Have you tried unistalling/reinstalling the MS software? If you do this remember to maintain your license number before uninstalling.
    04-20-09 09:26 PM
    This may be a stupid question, but did you go through the full setup procedure when you installed Missing Sync? Have you tried unistalling/reinstalling the MS software? If you do this remember to maintain your license number before uninstalling.
    Same here. iMac (OS 10.5.6) and BB Bold (BB Core Appli 4.6) and MissingSync 2.0.1.292. Uninstalled the program, in both, computer and phone, but still USB connection not recognized :-(
    04-21-09 01:44 PM
    You may want to try and disconnect the BlackBerry from the Mac, and soft reset your BlackBerry. Turn it off, pull the battery for 3 minutes, put it back and turn on. Then connect the BlackBerry over USB and try the sync again. This has worked for me and I am sure it will work for you.
    04-22-09 01:37 PM
    did you see that MS 2.0.2 was released? Update both Mac app and device app.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/mis...leased-213785/
    04-24-09 08:53 AM
    Thanks d_1000 and memyselfandblackberry. I'll try both things (updated to ver. 2.0.2 and follow memyselfandblackberry steps) without succes Still the same message: "the first synchronization must be done via USB ..."
    I wrote to Mark/Space two days ago. They haven't say a word
    I wonder, memyselfandblackberry, how you did it ... It looks like still there is a bug because the USB sync it's impossible!!!
    Has anybody else been successful? Please share.
    Thanks,
    Oskar
    04-24-09 11:35 AM
    Hi-
    Mark/Space will respond, but never as fast as you would like.

I understand your frustration...That is when I uninstall/reinstall everything with a reset of machine and device in between...but it sounds as if you have tried that already.

I have had my share of issues also, but the latest release has helped.
    04-24-09 12:18 PM
    I had this problem exactly and Mark/Space finally got back to me with this and it worked. The first time the BB restarted however I got the usually Java series errors, did a battery pull for 3 min, then everything loaded correctly and IT SYNCS!
    The procedure is a pain and you must follow it exactly. I'm not sure why this isn't on their website because it seems a lot of people have trouble with the first Bold USB sync.

Lets check the USB port information on the BlackBerry. To do this:

Press these three keys on your BlackBerry ALT, CAP, H at the same time
    This is the BlackBerry Help screen, leave your BlackBerry on this screen for ease of entering the code later.

Write down the App Version number, the PIN, and the Uptime

On Your computer:

1. Google this: Thyth-o-matic Engineering Screen Unlock Code Generator. I can't post the link as a newbie... lame.

2. Enter the required information. Please make sure you include spaces and parenthesis in application version field, for example 4.2.2.180 (327) and not just 4.2.2.180.

3. Select an option for the 30 day key and click Generate.

4. The unlock key will be presented on the next screen. It is an 8 digit hexadecimal code. Please note that to enter decimal digits (0 - 9), the ALT (half moon) key must be pressed. The hex digits (a - f) can be entered directly. Don't worry about capitalizing these hex digits.

5. To unlock the EScreens, simply type the unlock code into the BlackBerry while you are at the Help screen display. (There is no display echoed)There is no UI - simply enter the code. If you make a mistake, simply start typing the code again. Do not exit the help screen and re-enter it or you will have to go through the procedure again.

* If the unlock key is accepted, the device will jump to the EScreens display.

6. You should now be at the Engineering screen. Select OS Engineering Screens, then select USB, then select USB Port Information.

Connect the BlackBerry to the Mac.

7. The first line should say Connected: True, though this is not the connection part we need...

8. The key part will be USB MS...(we want this to say USB MS:Enabled), press the Menu button and select Toggle USB MS

9. The BlackBerry may reboot at this point. If it doesn't exit and save if prompted all the Engineering screens.

10. Disconnect the BlackBerry from the Mac, and soft reset your BlackBerry. Turn it off, pull the battery for 3 minutes, put it back and turn on.

Then connect the BlackBerry over USB and try the sync again.
    04-24-09 04:58 PM
    Hi Zenveg,
    I wish I had read your post before. I just post the solution somewhere else, so I am copying it. Most of it is the same as you are saying, but there are a couple of suggestions regarding Sync Services:
    -------------

Here is what it worked for me. These are two emails I received from Mark/Space reps. It is a little bit long, but worthy.

1st email===============
    Lets check the USB port information on the BlackBerry. To do this:
    Press these three keys on your BlackBerry ALT, CAP, H at the same time
    This is the BlackBerry Help screen, leave your BlackBerry on this screen for ease of entering the code later.
    Write down the App Version number, the PIN, and the Uptime
    On Your computer:
    1. Browse to htp://absolous.no-ip.com/projects/escreen/
    BlackBerry eScreen Unlock Code Generator
    2. Enter the required information. Please make sure you include spaces and parenthesis in application version field, for example 4.2.2.180 (327) and not just 4.2.2.180.
    3. Select an option for the 30 day key and click Generate.
    4. The unlock key will be presented on the next screen. It is an 8 digit hexadecimal code. Please note that to enter decimal digits (0 - 9), the ALT (half moon) key must be pressed. The hex digits (a - f) can be entered directly. Don't worry about capitalizing these hex digits.
    5. To unlock the EScreens, simply type the unlock code into the BlackBerry while you are at the Help screen display. (There is no display echoed)There is no UI - simply enter the code. If you make a mistake, simply start typing the code again. Do not exit the help screen and re-enter it or you will have to go through the procedure again.
    6. You should now be at the Engineering screen. Select OS Engineering Screens, then select USB, then select USB Port Information.
    7. The first line should say Connected: True
    8. If it doesn't first, press the menu button and select Refresh.
    9. If it says False, select it and press the Menu button and select Toggle USB MS
    10. The BlackBerry may reboot at this point. If it doesn't exit and save if prompted all the Engineering screens.
    11. Disconnect the BlackBerry from the Mac, and soft reset your BlackBerry. Turn it off, pull the battery for 3 minutes, put it back and turn on.
    Then connect the BlackBerry over USB and try the sync again.

2nd email=======================
    Using escreens, also try editing Mass Storage from disabled to enabled, I had one customer edit that setting and he was able to then connect via USB.

====================
    Now, your sync should work. Make sure the settings in your Missing Sync Mac are correct (I only used Calendar, Contacts and Task, with the 'Always overwrite device with desktop data). Also in Entourage/Preferences/General Preferences/Sync Services have the three boxes checked (Address Book, iCal and Notes). The sync is not done direct Entourage <--> Missing Sync, but through Sync Services. This one populates Address Book and iCal. One of the reps told me that there is a known bug between Entourage and Sync Services creating duplicates. That is why you have read some people complaining about duplicated data. That's why after the sync, I unchecked again those three boxes.
    If you keep the flow in one direction only (Mac always overwrites the BB) you and your data will be safe. I know, that you will be using only 'half' of the sync capabilities, but I do not want to loose or have duplicate info among the thousands of my contacts.
    I hope this helps.
    04-28-09 03:28 PM
    I was searching this and found the answer to syncing on Missing sync 2.0.2 with the blackberry. Mark/Space finally got back to me.

1. Make sure you load the Missing Sync on your blackberry.
    2. make sure your bluetooth syncs with your computer (i'm using a macbook pro)
    3. Now you hold the "option" key down and click on the "synchronize" on the blackberry. Watch it sync. It worked with me (Finally)
    05-04-09 09:08 PM
    I was searching this and found the answer to syncing on Missing sync 2.0.2 with the blackberry. Mark/Space finally got back to me.

1. Make sure you load the Missing Sync on your blackberry.
    2. make sure your bluetooth syncs with your computer (i'm using a macbook pro)
    3. Now you hold the "option" key down and click on the "synchronize" on the blackberry. Watch it sync. It worked with me (Finally)
    Having the same trouble connecting even with USB cord with Bold and MacBook Pro and this works. Went into BBerry and stopped Missing Sync. Held down Option Key and hit Synchronize on the BBerry and it worked!
    05-11-09 12:52 AM
    this might be a repost since my internet cut out but:

OV and zenveg thanks so much for your advice!! I was going to send my 2nd refurb Bold back to AT&T because I couldn't find the fix but this worked perfectly!
    05-11-09 04:55 PM
    hmm..whyyyyyy won't it still work for me. followed everything. oh well, guess i'll stick to google sync for now.
    06-15-09 08:04 PM
    Hey knyaz,

Does Google Sync work OK for you on a Bold? It never syncs Calendar events that span more than one day. eg. a three day even on Google Calendar always syncs to my Bold as a one day event.

Robert.
    06-16-09 02:56 AM
    <snip>
    <snip>
    My Missing Sync worked after this workaround. Question is: now Alt+Cap+H opens the Engineering Screen on my Bold, and not the Help Screen! What should I do?
    07-18-09 08:39 AM
    With both your Missing Sync Mac open and your BB application open as well, plug usb in and have bluetooth on, hold down the option key and press synchronize from your BB. It works.. For real.
    08-18-09 03:35 PM
    Just wanted to note for anyone who might have had the same problem as I did: it's not quite clear above that you need to hold down the option key on the MAC, not the blackberry.

OK, I felt foolish. But there could be other idiots out there...
    08-28-09 09:50 PM
    fpm3 you are my hero!!! the old missing sync worked fine but since i had to update it (crash from bold software update so had to redownload sync into replacement bold), have been struggling for last 4 hours with the same prob as so many others- the 1st sync bluetooth vs usb error. all this time just needed to hold down OPTION button?!?!? Thank you!!!!
    09-21-09 10:40 PM
    I have been having problems syncing contacts from my Storm for a while now. I can overwrite the contacts on my Storm but I can't sync. I tried the whole "unlock code" thing but had no success (my phone app kept popping up in the middle). I also tried the "holding down the option key" thing. No dice. Any suggestions?
    10-16-09 03:18 PM
    Running Storm 2 9550. Downloaded the software on my BB and on my Mac. When I hit Sync on my Mac I get - fixing record ids this may take a long time. A long time goes by and nothing happens. The pluggin bar is constantly spinning and the only way to cancel this is to disconnect my berry from my mac. If I plug it back in I can no longer hit the sync button. The only way to get back to that initial sync is to restart both my berry and my mac. What is the solution to this? Why can't it just wooooork. ugh.
    02-11-10 06:06 PM
    I gave up on Missing Sync. Bad app, multiple bugs. version 1 worked fine. My mistake was to buy the 2.0 upgrade.
    DM works half way. For some reason not all calendar items are synced. But I can live with that.
    I wish BB would try to do a better job with a flawless DM.
    03-07-10 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD