Hey guy/Gals.
    I'm a Mac and Windows user. I perfer to use Mac over windows in a lot of different situations. On my newest Mac I'm running 10.5.6 (Haven't upgraded yet :-P)

I just pulled out an older eMac thats been in storage for a few years. Shes in excellent condition, however i'm unsure if it's got a DVD drive or just a CD-ROM (As I tried loading a DVD-ROM, and nothing worked)

To say the least, I Burned a few audio CD's and they've come out kind of crappy. (Maybe it needs to be cleaned out?)

Here is what I am wondering.

eMac Version OS X 10.3.9
    700 MHz PowerPC G4 (2.1)
    640 MB SDRAM memory
    40GB HD
    AirPort card.. blah blah

What I am Looking to do..

I want to upgrade to OS X 10.5

I have had some tell me that Apple wouldn't let the G4 processor upgrade to the 10.5 series, while others have told me it would work.

My Original discs are for my other Mac, so I'd have to buy a clean set (I would like to just to have matching #'s sort-to-speak)

Is it safe for me to Buy any version of OSX 10.5?

Any comments/reccomendations on the rest of the system? (Besides it being old and out of date)

I actually am using it now and it's running great. Just would like to keep her up to date!

Thanks.
    06-04-09 11:40 AM
    Technically, you need this to run OS X 10.5:

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
    512MB of memory
    DVD drive for installation
    9GB of available disk space

Unfortunately, your computer will not support OS X 10.5 (up to 10.4.11 only) as your processor speed is not fast enough.

Furthermore, in terms of your drive:

"The education-only M8655LL/A and /B shipped with a 32X CD-ROM drive. The education-only M8578LL/A and /B shipped with a DVD-ROM/CD-RW "Combo" drive that "reads DVDs at 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at 12x speed, writes CD-RW discs at 8x speed, [and] reads CDs at 32x speed".

The first consumer model (M8577LL/A) shipped with a 24X CD-RW drive that could write CD-R at 24x, CD-RW at 10x, and read CD-ROM at 32x. Starting August 13, 2002, the consumer model (M8891LL/A) shipped with a DVD-ROM/CD-RW "Combo" drive that "reads DVDs at 8x speed, writes CD-R discs at 12x speed, writes CD-RW discs at 8x speed, [and] reads CDs at 32x speed".

Thus, you'll need to look near your serial number to get the model number to even see if you could have at least tried to install it and run it.

Finally, even if you wanted to buy OSX 10.5, you'd have to buy the standard retail version, NOT any that came with computers: those are tied to those specific models and there is no eMac with 10.5 shipped, so retail would have to be the way to go.

Unfortunately, spec wise your computer is not equipped to run 10.5. They did make faster eMacs; however, so you might be able to do a processor upgrade....whether it's worth it or not I have no idea.
    06-04-09 02:19 PM
    Hey, Thanks a lot. I appreciate your input. How is 4.11 in terms compared to the 10.3.9 I'm running? I would just like to get it up to date as I can't even sync an iPod to itunes with the current OS i'm running. lol

It's just a backup mac, but i'd still like to be productive on it.

Again, Thank you so much for the input. Greatly appreciated.
    06-04-09 02:22 PM
    As a service tech here in Sarasota FL (Computer Advantage) I dont recommend putting leopard on ANY G4 machine, It just doesnt seem to work really well. Even with enough RAM, it seems to chug thru normal operations

It can be done but not recommended
    06-05-09 11:34 AM
    As a service tech here in Sarasota FL (Computer Advantage) I dont recommend putting leopard on ANY G4 machine, It just doesnt seem to work really well. Even with enough RAM, it seems to chug thru normal operations

It can be done but not recommended
    Thanks, I'll stick with 10.4.11 :-)
    I found a fresh retail install For about 90 Bucks.

I basically just want the older machine to run 9.2 Classic (Old adobe PS on it) and sync iTunes. LOL 10.4. should be fine

Thanks for helping out.
    06-05-09 05:08 PM
    Buy a little bit more RAM, if You have got the money (and the space to put in Your Mac). It will make Your eMac faster because below 1 GB of RAM, OS-X tends to "swap" a lot to the harddisk.
    06-06-09 10:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD